3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Drive vs Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Drive vs Trip

On the Info display, we gets loads of information, but one thing I had to think about was the Drive vs Trip terminology. Here's what I came up with. A Drive begins when you start the car and ends when you shut it off. If I drive from my garage to just outside the garage, my MPG will be very low. If the drive covers 100 miles, MPG will be much better. So that's the Drive part of it.

A Trip begins when I press the reset button for Trip A and ends when I press the reset again. MPG is generally higher because it covers more miles.

So, does Trip B enter into the MPG computation at all? I know I can see the average MPG for Trip B, bt does the Info display consider Trip B?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM
m_x
I have the same understanding and thought it was weird that they use "Drive" to describe two different data points.

As far as trip B, I don't believe it is displayed or incorporated on the DisplayAudio Info screen. We have the Current Drive screen which functions as you described, and then History of Trip A, which gives you the average MPG data for whichever interval you are measuring as Trip A. On my car, I reset Trip A when I fill the tank so I can calculate MPG for each tank (I'm hooked on Fuelly...). When I go to the History of Trip A screen, it shows me the average MPG for the current Trip A and the last 3 Trip A's, which in my case is average MPG for the current and previous three tanks.

As you noted though, on the circular gauge if you keep pressing the little stalk, you can see the average MPG for Trip B. I've been using Trip B as the Trip Odometer for any trip I want to measure. That way, it doesn't affect my measurement for the whole tank.

Too long; don't read - You're right, Silver.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
I have the same understanding and thought it was weird that they use "Drive" to describe two different data points.

As far as trip B, I don't believe it is displayed or incorporated on the DisplayAudio Info screen. We have the Current Drive screen which functions as you described, and then History of Trip A, which gives you the average MPG data for whichever interval you are measuring as Trip A. On my car, I reset Trip A when I fill the tank so I can calculate MPG for each tank (I'm hooked on Fuelly...). When I go to the History of Trip A screen, it shows me the average MPG for the current Trip A and the last 3 Trip A's, which in my case is average MPG for the current and previous three tanks.

As you noted though, on the circular gauge if you keep pressing the little stalk, you can see the average MPG for Trip B. I've been using Trip B as the Trip Odometer for any trip I want to measure. That way, it doesn't affect my measurement for the whole tank.

Too long; don't read - You're right, Silver.
I use a calculator or Fuelly to figure MPG. I'm going to use Trip B to keep track of miles driven each month. I'm going on a long trip on Sunday, and I'll reset Trip A to get avg MPG for the whole trip.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM
m_x
Trip B will give you an average for the whole trip; it will just be displayed on the little circular gauge and not the Info screen. I took a 585 mile trip, measured on trip B, with an average of 44mpg displayed for that trip on the gauge (says the car, so take 2 or so miles off).

Meanwhile that 585 miles was 1.5 tanks, which I tracked with Trip A and monitored on the Info screen. Fuelly gave me 41.5mpg for that tank.

I like the idea of using B for monthly miles!