Apple heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Apple heads

When apple releases the iPod Touch 6 would there be any advantage in getting one and just leaving it in the car connected to the audio system.

I realize that the GPS feature would not work while driving, but music (my main interest) mail etc should be updates while parked in many parking lots outside of Hot Spots (starbucks, McD, Barnes & Noble, Panera, etc...)

What do you think?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm under the impression the iPod touch does not have a data plan, I guess it may work if you park in areas with wifi

Old 09-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I am sure this would work - assuming you don't want to buy a data plan for a smartphone. I do like the way my iPhone integrates with the radio system. I am not sure if the Android products out there integrate in a similar way (i.e. the ability to access iTunes Radio (although this wouldn't work except when connected via WiFi with no data plan), Playlists, Artists, etc... If Android products provide a similar interface over the Bluetooth connection you might find a small Android tablet or Music player that could accomplish the same thing for a bit less money. Of course always be wary of leaving Apple products and electronics in the car as a general rule as they do not like HOT temperatures and will typically not operate once their internal temperatures reach certain levels. Hopefully some Android users out there can tell you how well their products integrate with the system over Bluetooth...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
I am sure this would work - assuming you don't want to buy a data plan for a smartphone. I do like the way my iPhone integrates with the radio system. I am not sure if the Android products out there integrate in a similar way (i.e. the ability to access iTunes Radio (although this wouldn't work except when connected via WiFi with no data plan), Playlists, Artists, etc... If Android products provide a similar interface over the Bluetooth connection you might find a small Android tablet or Music player that could accomplish the same thing for a bit less money. Of course always be wary of leaving Apple products and electronics in the car as a general rule as they do not like HOT temperatures and will typically not operate once their internal temperatures reach certain levels. Hopefully some Android users out there can tell you how well their products integrate with the system over Bluetooth...
I haven't seen an iPhone's pairing, but if you're going straight Bluetooth and not using the HondaLink which requires the HDMI cable as well, I suspect there isn't much difference in how the integration works. I have a Nexus 5, and I can take and make calls, listen to any sort of audio, see the information about the stream on the car's display (album / artist / track name and cover art, or podcast info), select the next track with the steering wheel, fast forward and go back with the steering wheel, etc. Text messages are shown on the display, or if I'm moving, it offers to read them to me and lets me reply through the car (when moving, via a list of typical responses to be selected with a touch). Phone's battery, signal strength and mail indicator show up on the car's screen. I'm not sure what else might work on an iPhone that I'm not getting, but I think I've listed everything in my phone/car integration that I can recall right now.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
You can overheat a phone/touch in the car. I did it 2x by accident in the past and both required a replacement .

Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I think i'd be worried every time I left the car my window would get smashed out
The only smash and grab i've ever had was in a nice area in Socal too.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
You can overheat a phone/touch in the car. I did it 2x by accident in the past and both required a replacement .
I can throw it into a fire too, but I don't. Keep it put away and heat shouldn't be an issue.

I've overheated an android smartphone, but to do so I had to run navigation in satellite image mode for over an hour while the phone was also charging. All it did was stop charging and pop up a message. I turned off the navigation, let it cool down, and all was good.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 PM
My gen 2 Fit had the USB in the glove box. I had an iPod attached and never had an issue in the two years I owned the Fit and the iPod played ok.

The 3 gen fit alloys me to scroll thru playlist, controlled from the steering wheel. A much safer option.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM
My iPhone 6 Plus arrives Friday. I'll let y'all know weds when I update my 5s if iOS 8 plays nice with the Fit.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member

Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coyotesweat
My iPhone 6 Plus arrives Friday. I'll let y'all know weds when I update my 5s if iOS 8 plays nice with the Fit.
I'm already using the iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 5S, and it works just the same as iOS 7 did. No problems at all.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm also getting the iPhone 6 plus Deivered Friday. I currently have the 4 s. Oh I have the EXL with Navi- I am happy with the navi- my phone battery is so much better now and it doesn't overheat. I was planning to get the honda app since I will FINALLY have a compatible phone but all the reviews are awful. Since I have navi- do I really the app? Eventhough I only have 4s now I can receive texts and play music. Does anyone with the 5s have the ability navigate through your contacts or calendar? I still can't reply to texts yet- I have selected the preselected responses but I always get an error after that. I am anxious to see how it is with the 6 Plus.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll let you know

Originally Posted by Dancer41
I'm also getting the iPhone 6 plus Deivered Friday. I currently have the 4 s. Oh I have the EXL with Navi- I am happy with the navi- my phone battery is so much better now and it doesn't overheat. I was planning to get the honda app since I will FINALLY have a compatible phone but all the reviews are awful. Since I have navi- do I really the app? Eventhough I only have 4s now I can receive texts and play music. Does anyone with the 5s have the ability navigate through your contacts or calendar? I still can't reply to texts yet- I have selected the preselected responses but I always get an error after that. I am anxious to see how it is with the 6 Plus.
My 5s should pair just fine. You don't need the app cause you have navi. I plan on using Apple Maps through Siri Eyes Free and the steering wheel controls. I'll let you know about the contacts. I don't think calendar will work on the screen. But you can do most of that through Siri. (I set alarms and calendar events through Siri and she can do that). I pick up Spongebob Squarecar this morning. I'll pair my phone and let you know. I'll also be guinea pig and update to IOS 8 tomorrow to see if it still works. I suspect Siri might gain some more brains with 8.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Great thanks! I need to look into using Siri More. Yeah I a pretty happy with the Navi-I won't download the hondalink then.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I'm already using the iOS 8 GM on my iPhone 5S, and it works just the same as iOS 7 did. No problems at all.
Ditto (I have a Developer account). Works fine on my iPhone 5. My 6 arrives Friday and I don't expect any issues.

es

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by morgantruce
The apple logo is backwards.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member

There. How's that?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:49 PM
^ we've got a live one

Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Cool, how did you get that RHD fit?!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I had mine delivered from London Honda.

Are all Apple stickers just ordinary stickers. What about people that wish to apply the logo on the inside of a rear window?

Mine looks fine to me (in my rear view mirror.)

Quick Reply: Apple heads