3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
What would you do??

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d46c395.jpg
got a set of these offered to me today. love the wheel but they're only 16s. Price is very good but I like the bigger wheel look.
A set of 17in Rota Slipstreams or Grid in royal bronze keeps calling my name....
what do you thing. Real deal Volks in 16in or go for a bigger wheel???

Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I would keep the stock wheels and spend the money on a vacation.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM
If they aren't what you want then don't get them. You'll chafe at the compromise every time you look at them.

With used wheels there's also the possibility that the seller stole them. I don't want to create a market that might get my own wheels stolen.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
If they aren't what you want then don't get them. You'll chafe at the compromise every time you look at them.

With used wheels there's also the possibility that the seller stole them. I don't want to create a market that might get my own wheels stolen.
luckily I know the seller and where the wheels came from. I would xnever buystolen goods or anything that might be stolen.... As far as the wheel itself I love it just dont know if it will look ok as a 16in wheel on the car.... Have to think on it for a minute.....

Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d46c395.jpg
got a set of these offered to me today. love the wheel but they're only 16s. Price is very good but I like the bigger wheel look.
A set of 17in Rota Slipstreams or Grid in royal bronze keeps calling my name....
what do you thing. Real deal Volks in 16in or go for a bigger wheel???
I would take the volks. less likely to crack on the street (not sure your road conditions) and Rota's are just crap replicas. The car is too small to put 17's.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
When you say "offered," do you mean as in "free?" No brainer if so!

Otherwise, you have to decide what's important to you: looks? durability on rough roads (or you plan to race/hoon)? cost?

I know how I drive and what's important to me, and purchased accordingly. (c:

es

Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Hey 15BlkPrl,

It really depends on what you like and future plans on the Fit. I have owned both Volk and Enkei wheels on previous cars, including my old 11 Fit Sport. The quality of Volk is there in any of their wheels, but in the end, I think the biggest factor in our wheel decisions is the look and color of the wheel.

Do you like the Volk design you posted above?

If you do, then go for it. I had 17 Enkeis on my 11 Fit, but seeing the new Fit with its 16 inch wheels, it look goods with this size wheel. Plus the Volk wheel should be a little wider, allowing you to use a more aggressive tire.

Also, I personally would not recommend Rota wheels to anyone. We all know the quality is not the same as a Volk or Enkei wheel, but lets put that aside for a moment. Going with a 17 inch Rota wheel is going to add unsprung weight to your Fit, which will affect your handling and MPG.

When I upgraded my 11 Fit 16s with Enkei 17s, my weight stayed the same. I did not want to sacrifice performance for looks, so I made sure the new tire/wheel combo was the same or lighter.

I know we all have our budgets, even if we can afford anything we want. With that being said...

1. If you like the Volk design, then go for it. Keep in mind that if you lower the Fit in the future (if you haven't done so already), the 16 inch Volk wheel will give you more clearance all around than a 17 inch wheel.

2. If you do go with a 17 inch wheel, make sure its not heavier than your current OEM set up.

PM if you have any questions.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
i don't mind the 16's on the fit. 16x7 +40 is a great wheel that performs better then stock and still allows for some comfort with a 50 series tire.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM
someone is really asking Volks vs. Rota ?!?! thats a no brainer. i have a set of Rota Slipstreams sitting in the corner of my garage that have not been used in years. ( i bought a car that had them on it ) i *may* put them on the Fit, as all the rest of my wheels are lightweight quality wheels that are for the race car. they get used, the Rotas get used for nothing except collecting dust at this time.

but... if i was in the market to buy wheels, Rota, Drag, XXR, etc, etc, would never be considered. i dont buy garbage wheels. they are cheap for a reason.

the Volks, i would use in a heartbeat. while they are not the lightest out there, they certainly are strong. likely the perfect wheel for the street.

Originally Posted by HondaGeek
Hey 15BlkPrl,
Going with a 17 inch Rota wheel is going to add unsprung weight to your Fit, which will affect your handling and MPG.
more importantly, and something that people do not think about, is rotational inertia.

it is possible to have a wheel that has a thick outer rim, but is light, opposed to a heavier wheel with a lightweight outer rim. in this case, the heavier wheel has a lower rotational inertia.

think of it as a Gyroscope. one has most of the weight on the outside edge, and another one has most of the weight on the middle hub. both gyroscopes weigh the same.

the one with the weight on the outside, will spin longer, but takes more torque to get spinning. the one with the weight on the hub, will take less torque to spin, but wont spin as long... the one with the weight on the hub, has a lower rotational inertia.

say... take 15 inch vs 17 inch Rota Slipstreams, which are both heavy wheels, and put the same diameter tires on it of the same brand/model. i guarantee that the 15's are going to accelerate much faster than the 17's. it's the Gyroscope effect, and obviously more weight is further out on the 17, opposed to the 15. yes, the sidewall of the tire of the 15 will have to be taller to make both the same diameter, and is further out from the center of the wheel... however, the denser aluminum inertia will have more effect than a little bit more rubber and air. this is disregarding the fact that the 17's will be heavier to begin with.

to take it to the extreme, i have some sets of Keizer race wheels in 13 x 9. they weigh about 9 lbs each... but that is not what makes them fast. what makes them fast, is that the outside rim halves ( they are 3 piece ) weigh about 1.5 lbs. the other 7.5 lbs is the center section, which has to be strong to handle well over 1 G lateral cornering forces. but the outer rim weighs extremely little. it is also about as strong as a potato chip, but these are track only wheels, never intended to be used on the street. the rotational inertia is extremely low, and takes very little torque to get moving quickly.

anyway, our cars are slow... you are going to make it slower with more rotational inertia. i mostly chose the Fit, because it had more go power than the other econoboxes that we were looking at. this was a concern because our previous daily driver was so slow, that the Fit feels like a rocket in comparison. but unlike our other car, at least the Fit can get out of it's own way.

if you insist on 17's, at least get 17's that are light and of quality. you wont regret it... ok, maybe your wallet will.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Need to see some more pics but those don't look like they were taken very good care of

Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Personally I would not go with 17s. Just not enough tire for a comfortable ride.

Now I must go out and throw my wheels away. Damn someone sold me a set of 16" unblemished Rotas for $100. I have been running them all summer with no problems. Mileage and performance? Really? I use the car for running errands etc. Gas mileage maybe went up to maybe 8 something from 7.8 l per 100 km. But then I have found I am tending to drive in third a lot more this year.

Oh the offset is 40. I rubbed some at first as I am on Swifts. Since I added the RSB the rubbing for most part has stopped.

Name:  june2014006.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  016-2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 09-20-2014, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Personally I would not go with 17s. Just not enough tire for a comfortable ride.

Now I must go out and throw my wheels away. Damn someone sold me a set of 16" unblemished Rotas for $100. I have been running them all summer with no problems. Mileage and performance? Really? I use the car for running errands etc. Gas mileage maybe went up to maybe 8 something from 7.8 l per 100 km. But then I have found I am tending to drive in third a lot more this year.

Oh the offset is 40. I rubbed some at first as I am on Swifts. Since I added the RSB the rubbing for most part has stopped.

which rear sway bar and how thick?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
It is the Progress one. Only one I know of. No idea how thick. Note I drive a GE.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Strong logical fallacy.

OP, buy the Volks. And I'm saying that as someone who dislikes LE37's.

16's will be better for ride quality, handling, acceleration, fuel economy and aesthetics if the car is lowered enough.