3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I should have read the manual more

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
I should have read the manual more

I get off work at 5:30 am and I have a flat. It's very dark and I'm changing the tire with a little flashlight. I took the hwy home and only did 60 mph, but when I got home to my more lit garage, I see that the spar tire says not to exceed 50 mph. Got my regular tire fixed at NTB and when I asked about how strict is that 50 mph on that spare tire, they said REALLY don't go over 50 with those tires.

Then I have the tire pressure warning light staying on after the tire was fixed. I didn't know there was a tire pressure cal button down to the left of the steering wheel.

I didn't know the gas door had a holder for the gas cap.

I didn't know there was a button lock also on the rear door and not just the side doors.

I've had my Fit for at least 2 months. I should have read the manual more.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Don't feel bad, I just discovered that when backing up with your windshield wipers on, your rear wipers will come on automatically, and shut off when you go into Drive. This was explained to me by my 15 year old son, who also informed me that our 2007 Honda Odyssey, that we purchased new, does the same thing. Boy, did I feel stupid!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 PM
There's a lock button on the rear doors too?? Lol. I guess you're not alone in not RTFM - I've been walking back to the front of the car and locking them that way. Is there a lock button on the trunk somewhere too?

I'll need to look into this tire pressure button. I've never heard of it, and I have no idea what it does.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by spaghetina
There's a lock button on the rear doors too?? Lol. I guess you're not alone in not RTFM - I've been walking back to the front of the car and locking them that way. Is there a lock button on the trunk somewhere too?

I'll need to look into this tire pressure button. I've never heard of it, and I have no idea what it does.
There is a lock button on the hatch, not the rear doors. It's just to the right of the unlock/release button. While the unlock/release button is rectangular, the lock button is small and round, like on the door handles. No more walking to the front doors for you!

Next time you have the hatch open, pull the door down to eye level and look under the handle so you can orient yourself to its position.

Last edited by xStitchx; 09-20-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-21-2014, 12:31 AM
I thought my radio screen on the LX malfunctioned after going blank and only showed the clock. Brought it back to the dealer and they ended up "resetting" the radio only to find out there's a button to turn the screen off I probably forgot I pressed. Granted, the dealer didn't notice as well, lol.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Don't feel bad, I just discovered that when backing up with your windshield wipers on, your rear wipers will come on automatically, and shut off when you go into Drive. This was explained to me by my 15 year old son, who also informed me that our 2007 Honda Odyssey, that we purchased new, does the same thing. Boy, did I feel stupid!
Dang, I didn't know that either till you just mentioned it. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xStitchx
There is a lock button on the hatch, not the rear doors. It's just to the right of the unlock/release button. While the unlock/release button is rectangular, the lock button is small and round, like on the door handles. No more walking to the front doors for you!

Next time you have the hatch open, pull the door down to eye level and look under the handle so you can orient yourself to its position.

Ah, yes, it was so nice yesterday for the first time in a few months, not having to go to the front side doors to push the lock button after opening the rear 'hatch' door.

Little things like that make life a bit more joyful.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by haudoodles
I thought my radio screen on the LX malfunctioned after going blank and only showed the clock. Brought it back to the dealer and they ended up "resetting" the radio only to find out there's a button to turn the screen off I probably forgot I pressed. Granted, the dealer didn't notice as well, lol.
That touch screen is weird. About 3 weeks ago I was hitting some buttons for music as I was driving trying to watch the curvy road too. All of a sudden I hear myself talking on the radio, then someone is talking back.

I have a phone app that records all calls, and somehow I hit some buttons that went to that app and played one of my phone conversations. For a while there I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
You can download a PDF version of the manual to keep on your computer desktop at home or at work .... look things up whenever you have a question! Very helpful and convenient!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ownload+manual

Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting info

I was scanning the Owners Manual and noticed that the Idle speed should be adjusted every 160,000 sMiles.

Hope i don't forget to do this.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 AM
What a lot of folks don't realize is that the owner's manual is more than 450 pages long!

By comparison, the pilot's flight manual for a Piper Cherokee Warrior II is 240 pages long.

I'm not surprised that the Honda manual hasn't been completely memorized by most new owners, particularly when it contains lengthy gems like "how to inspect your seat belts for cuts and wear."

Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
What a lot of folks don't realize is that the owner's manual is more than 450 pages long!

By comparison, the pilot's flight manual for a Piper Cherokee Warrior II is 240 pages long.

I'm not surprised that the Honda manual hasn't been completely memorized by most new owners, particularly when it contains lengthy gems like "how to inspect your seat belts for cuts and wear."
Ever since you posted this about the locks for the rear door, I've been reading up on the Fit. It does have a lot of useful information!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
I am a private Pilot and reading the aircrafts manual is required to be checked out to fly the aircraft,or you and passengers will most likely will die. I think you shouldn't be allowed to drive the car until you read the manual and a instructor has tested you on what you read. I am amazed how many here come for advice from those that also didn't read their manual. I guess it's easier to boot up,type a message ,wait a few hours/days/weeks to get a possible incorrect answer,then to seek the manual index, read the page, and get a correct answer within seconds. It's like if I asked a passenger the flaps down stall speed of the aircraft they are in, when the aircraft manual is in my hand. Guess it's all part of the dumbing of America.

PaFitter

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Guess it's all part of the dumbing of America.

PaFitter
ok, we get it. you read the manual, and you much smarter then the rest of us.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I actually did read it, but still missed that hatchback lock button. Looking forward to trying it. Who knows what else I missed.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
I am a private Pilot and reading the aircrafts manual is required to be checked out to fly the aircraft,or you and passengers will most likely will die.
At least you can pull over when you have a problem in the Fit…

e (also a private pilot) s

Old 09-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I am a private Pilot and reading the aircrafts manual is required to be checked out to fly the aircraft,or you and passengers will most likely will die.
Actually, I hope that pilots have a bit more native wit than that. Most pilots can get into an airplane of the class that they are licensed to fly and get around the patch safely without memorizing the manual. The critical speeds are marked on the airspeed indicator and most of the controls are common to most airplanes.

Now, this is not recommended procedure. Of course a pilot should be familiar with the aircraft he is flying.

Now, getting down to earth, the controls and instrumentation of automobiles are standardized so that every one drives the same. The right pedal is always the accelerator, the round thing steers the car, etc. The only relevant instrument is the speedometer and everyone knows how to read one. There are no critical speeds or weight-and-balance considerations. There is no hazard to just kicking the tires and lighting the fires in a car.

The reason that the Fit manual is 450+ pages is not because the vehicle is difficult to drive. It's because (1) it includes many pages of things required by law or included by lawyers to cover liability and (2) it has instructions for two different entertainment systems including all the interfacing for customer-provided devices.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:27 PM
hahaha... I have been walking around my car too to lock my door. Lol!
Thanks guys

Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I did read through the entire manual during the first couple of days after buying the car (in June), but I didn't seem to retain a lot of the details such as the rear wiper coming on when backing up, and the rear-most lock button.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I did read through the manual right after I got the car. And, learned a lot.

However I somehow missed the part about the rear seat belts. There are three, and the center clip works only with the center anchor. When one of my anchors worked down between the seats and I tried to buckle a child safety seat in back, I thought I had a definitive belt!

Luckily I found out about it before making an angry call to the dealer.

Last edited by dpmason; 09-23-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: I should have read the manual more