3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Valet key on Fit with key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Valet key on Fit with key fob?

A couple of questions:
1) When I give my keys to a valet, do I give them the entire key fob?
2) When I go to the car wash (and have to leave the car for the attendant to drive it through), do I give them the entire key fob?

It seems odd that you can click the switch and remove the key from the fob, but I'm not sure how that really protects you. Is that just to protect people from breaking into the glove box? Thanks.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone here really read their manual????? If the Fob is Not near the car it won't start. The "key" is only for when the fob battery dies or is unable to unlock the door because of weak battery. There is a key hole to unlock the door located just below the drivers door handle. There is no Ignition switch,so the fob must be present in the car. The fob will work to start the car if battery is low once inside the car and a low battery warning light on your dash will light indicating it before the fob goes totally dead so you can replace it. If the fob is totally dead,it's replace the fob battery or get towed. Only part of the system I hate.

Read his manual, PaFitter

Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Does anyone here really read their manual?????

thanks for yelling at us, dad. we promise to pick up our toys in the future...

to the OP, you have to give fob to the valet, because he will need to restart the car. you can just walk away at the car wash. unless you have a manual trans, and the car wash attendant stalls it, he won't need the fob.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I thought someone on here mentioned without the fob in the car, the engine will immobilize after a short distance?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Does anyone here really read their manual????? If the Fob is Not near the car it won't start. The "key" is only for when the fob battery dies or is unable to unlock the door because of weak battery. There is a key hole to unlock the door located just below the drivers door handle. There is no Ignition switch,so the fob must be present in the car. The fob will work to start the car if battery is low once inside the car and a low battery warning light on your dash will light indicating it before the fob goes totally dead so you can replace it. If the fob is totally dead,it's replace the fob battery or get towed. Only part of the system I hate.

Thanks. I did read the manual and it doesn't actually address some of these nuances. So if I understand you correctly, you always need to give the entire key fob to the car wash attendant and hope they don't take off with it.

I also see on pg 98 that it says the doors and tailgate can not be unlocked when the smart entry remote is inside the vehicle. Do car attendants know just to step on the brake and press the power button? I have only had experience with the old fashioned key.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
m_x
This has been discussed before here.

A valet key is intended to unlock and start a car, but not open a locking glove compartment or a locking trunk so you can protect valuables from those shifty valet parkers while still enabling them to park your car.

1) the glove box in the Fit doesn't lock, and 2) it's a hatchback with no locking trunk. Not only is there no valet key, but there aren't even features in this car that would use one. In fact, the only key hole on the whole car (EX and above) is on the driver door, proving exactly what the key is for. There would be zero benefit from taking out the physical key and giving the guy your fob alone.

The physical key is ONLY used when the battery in the fob dies and you need to unlock the door.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
thanks for yelling at us, dad. we promise to pick up our toys in the future...

to the OP, you have to give fob to the valet, because he will need to restart the car. you can just walk away at the car wash. unless you have a manual trans, and the car wash attendant stalls it, he won't need the fob.
Thank you rodney! Normally, when I'm at the car wash with my old car, my keys are in the ignition and the car is turned off when I exit the car. But now with this new Fit- EX-CVT, it sounds like you are suggesting I leave it running when I exit. That would mean I would still need to leave the key fob in the car, right?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by JFit123
Thank you rodney! Normally, when I'm at the car wash with my old car, my keys are in the ignition and the car is turned off when I exit the car. But now with this new Fit- EX-CVT, it sounds like you are suggesting I leave it running when I exit. That would mean I would still need to leave the key fob in the car, right?
Yes, if you are leaving the car running, you will just leave your keys inside the car as you have always done. They are just not hanging from the ignition.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
I thought someone on here mentioned without the fob in the car, the engine will immobilize after a short distance?

nope, car will emit some beeps, but will continue to run with no problem.

if you shut it off, you will not be able to restart the car.

here is the message it displays:

Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Engine was pretty quite when parked, and I got out without noticing it at first. Got the beep a few feet away, and walked back to turn off the car. Thank goodness