3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear wheel well question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by GTtoGK
@ Fat_man - Imho I would leave it alone. Anything you do to "modify" the fender well could be a reason for the dealer to deny a warranty claim in the future. Even if the part is oem, they (dealer) could say sure but it's not oem to an LX model.

If Honda is selling the USDM LX Fits without rear wheel liners then it must be okay. I'm guessing that the fender liners on EX and above models were installed to possibly reduce noise? My .02.
I was going to leave mine alone but couldn't, I was embarrassed to show my new car off with liners sagging out the back wheels.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
@ mysticangel - I don't blame you. On mine it looks like someone took a a pair of snips/scissors and overtrimmed the liner, lol.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:51 PM
the liner fits right if its reinforced. Its just poorly designed. the sides aren't as rigid as they need to be

Old 10-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Here's a pic of my rear wheel well lining, yeah it looks pretty bad, I think I saw a spider crawl under there once

Name:  2B0d3Go.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  213.5 KB

Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Alternative
Here's a pic of my rear wheel well lining, yeah it looks pretty bad, I think I saw a spider crawl under there once

Still can't believe Honda would allow a car to go into production with a poorly designed part like that! This is my first Honda and I expected more. My 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee, which was the 1st year of a re-design, had fit and finish problems (and they still do), but nothing that shoddy.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Alternative

Is there a rubber stripping at the edge of the well, where is supposed to meet the lining?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:12 AM
No there is no rubber stripping. The liner itself is poorly designed, the sides have to reinforcement at all. Before we fixed mine I was hearing a that thap thap when driving after repairing it i have almost no road noise

Old 10-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mysticangel
No there is no rubber stripping. The liner itself is poorly designed, the sides have to reinforcement at all. Before we fixed mine I was hearing a that thap thap when driving after repairing it i have almost no road noise
Maybe they just used this lining from a previous generation Fit? Wonder if the 2015 Fit is wider with more rear fender flare as compared to previous generations, thus the poor fit for the lining? Would be interesting to see if pre-2015 Fits have the same problem.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
looks like someone stashed some "goodies" from Mexico in there

Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Very ironic, but I just logged onto the forums tonight to post an article about these rear wheelwell liners. I stopped by a Honda dealership today and they had an EX model. I noticed the rear liners and I thought, wait, my car (an LX) doesn't have those. Did the factory forget to install them?!? And then I thought, do I even want those?. . . looks like a have for mud, salt, road debris, etc. So are the liners ONLY on the EX and not the LX?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by pherank
Very ironic, but I just logged onto the forums tonight to post an article about these rear wheelwell liners. I stopped by a Honda dealership today and they had an EX model. I noticed the rear liners and I thought, wait, my car (an LX) doesn't have those. Did the factory forget to install them?!? And then I thought, do I even want those?. . . looks like a have for mud, salt, road debris, etc. So are the liners ONLY on the EX and not the LX?
From what I have seen on dealer's lot only EX models have these liners. So Honda built the cost of this defective part into the higher priced EX.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oman
We just cancel work and school when there is ice on the road in Texas. Doesn't everyone do that?

Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM
As a follow up to my concerns about the rear wheel liner, that was open and not attached, I did show it to my dealer service rep. He said the 2015 Fits were all that way and they won't do anything until instructed by Honda. My reply to him "you mean until enough owners complain about it?" I have been a Honda owner for 28 years and have bought 7 Honda cars. This may be the last Honda I buy. Since Honda, Jonathan and my dealer won't do anything about a control problem I am going to use duck tape as a temporary fix to advertise the problem. I will have a body shop fix it before winter arrives to prevent rust. All future reviews of my dealer and Honda will be "unacceptable".

Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mysticangel
the liner fits right if its reinforced. Its just poorly designed. the sides aren't as rigid as they need to be
Yeah, maybe on yours it does but on mine it's way too short. If I pull the liner outwards to the fender it's nowhere near the fender lip. Just shoddy workmanship. I really feel bad for Honda......

I see Hyundai matching/exceeding Toyota and Honda quality in a few years. Just look at the styling. I think they look great ever since they added that guy from Audi to their design team.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I see Hyundai matching/exceeding Toyota and Honda quality in a few years.
I think that you are correct, at least if Hyundai/Kia keep manufacturing in Korea. If they decide to get cheap and build in China and/or Mexico they will be in the same boat as Honda. Unfortunately, it looks like this will happen:

Kia to build $1 billion Mexico small-car plant

Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Iowa owner
All future reviews of my dealer and Honda will be "unacceptable".
If I pull the liner outwards to the fender it's nowhere near the fender lip. Just shoddy workmanship.
Don't blame the factory worker. Don't blame the dealer.

Do you realize that everyone in this chain wants the chance to be the Good Guy? I called Honda. I got them to fix your problem. I'm the hero here. If it were the factory's mistake, Honda would have caught it and retrained or fired some people. Newer Fits coming out would be built properly. If it were a supplier issue then newer Fits have an updated wheel well liner and earlier ones would be recalled.

Until there's a recall, it looks like Honda decided that the wheel well liner was exactly the way they wanted it. The dealers represent Honda. It's not their place to come up with alternate designs and modify the cars. Would it make you happy for the dealer to put duct tape on your car to fix it, or should the dealer design their own wheel well liner and have it somehow produced to upgrade all the Fits they've sold?

Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
"Just shoddy workmanship" was a poor choice in words. My bad.

Correction: Fender liners are of a poor design and should have been caught at final inspection before shipping to the dealer.

If Honda continues to keep up this level of "quality" I'm out. It's kinda scary to think that if they couldn't get this simple detail right, what else on the car is messed up?

I'm sure other manufacturers are as bad/worse than Honda. It just sad that now it appears that Honda will be one of those companies as well.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Fit Charlie are you saying that Honda said a recall would be forth coming on the wheel liners? When I raised the issue with my dealer's service department I was told there was nothing they could do and this was the way it is. I am willing to pay for my repair myself but I won't be a happy customer if I do. I was a manager for many years working with customers and I would have said I will look into the issue and gotten back to the customer. I was told this is the way it is and nothing will be done. It has been several weeks since I showed the dealer the problem and raised the issue here and there was still no follow up. So my only recourse was to continue to bring it to their attention and when corporate does a follow up survey I would have to to state "unacceptable" since that was how they handled it in my eyes. Having worked in management I know customers concerns are important and purchasing power does matter. I owned a Chrysler and I had similar problems with defects which they failed to correct and gave a poor response. I and millions of customers voted with our feet and went elsewhere. I would hope Honda wouldn't make the same mistake that Chrysler made. So I would like some kind of reply from Honda to my concerns or my "unacceptable" response stands.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Iowa owner
As a follow up to my concerns about the rear wheel liner, that was open and not attached, I did show it to my dealer service rep. He said the 2015 Fits were all that way and they won't do anything until instructed by Honda. My reply to him "you mean until enough owners complain about it?" I have been a Honda owner for 28 years and have bought 7 Honda cars. This may be the last Honda I buy. Since Honda, Jonathan and my dealer won't do anything about a control problem I am going to use duck tape as a temporary fix to advertise the problem. I will have a body shop fix it before winter arrives to prevent rust. All future reviews of my dealer and Honda will be "unacceptable".
I sent a letter to Honda Customer Service complaining about the wheel liners and showing the problem with pictures. I have a case number. Spoke to Jonathan (Honda Customer Service Rep on this Forum) who said the issue will be sent to Honda engineers, and he acknowledged that others have complained about this.

He said since LX models do not have the liners, he doubts the purpose of the liners is to prevent corrosion. He said it is more likely they are meant to deaden road noise, in which case they may be serving their purpose. I don't see how they would serve that purpose with gaps like that.

In any event, if Honda does anything it would be in the form of a "Product Update" (like the front bumper upgrade), not a "Recall" (since it is not safety related).

I suggest others complain to Honda Corporate in writing.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Fender liners are of a poor design and should have been caught at final inspection before shipping to the dealer.
It's not so much that every vehicle needs to be inspected for it- if it's a poor design (and I'm not arguing with you on that) then only one example needs to be seen. Many have been seen, reported and complained about. Honda knows that people are unhappy with it, but Honda is satisfied that it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Fit Charlie are you saying that Honda said a recall would be forth coming on the wheel liners?
If it were a supplier issue then newer Fits have an updated wheel well liner and earlier ones would be recalled. Because if the supplier screwed up, Honda will make the supplier fix it. But I think if the supplier had screwed up then Honda wouldn't be stonewalling.

There are things I don't like about my Fit. There are things I wish Honda had done differently. Are they defects or design flaws? I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel well question