3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear wheel well question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by cloud11244
Others on this forum have removed the liners and sprayed undercoating into the wheel well.
I don't think anyone actually removed the liner from their brand new car. It was just one of the ideas someone threw in.

Please call Honda Customer Service and complain about this issue!
When you call Honda, be polite and professional. But be firm and clear about what you want - A Fix! Not "that's the way it is" BS. The customer service people are not very technical. They are just desk people who answer calls 8 hours a day everyday mostly from people who are complaining about something (who really calls just to say how happy they are?!). So, don't be rude. Give them a break. But be sure to let them know your brand new car has the problem from the factory and you want something to be done about it, and you are not taking NO as an answer. Before you hang up, remember to get a case # which will be very important in the future.

Last edited by Chazman; 01-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
I think this is part of the problem. If they don't see or have an example of how it is supposed to be then they think the problem isn't a problem because they are all like that.
That's just a response from one dealer, not from American Honda.

We need to find out the official response from American Honda.

This problem has been reported from '15 Fit owners with build date from as early as 2014/04 to 2014/11 (mine!) or even later production cars. Honda knows the problem. Honda has the problem. They have 1000's or more cars with this problem sitting in their factory waiting to be shipped to dealers. It's even possible they are still producing Fit with this exact problem rolling off their assembly line. So, American Honda asking for photos from us is a complete nonsense. Stop playing dumb. Stand behind your product!

Last edited by Chazman; 01-10-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
jhn
I took mine off the car. They're hanging down. I don't like how open and exposed it is. It would be cool if someone made a plastic aftermarket version.

Are you all sure the LX doesn't have these? It's just open like that, filler neck and wire looms exposed?

Weird.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
mine are full of salt/sand from winter driving. it is a PITA to try and clean them at the car wash. it will cause the car to rust prematurely, so i will just end up removing mine as well.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
I took mine off the car. They're hanging down. I don't like how open and exposed it is. It would be cool if someone made a plastic aftermarket version.

Are you all sure the LX doesn't have these? It's just open like that, filler neck and wire looms exposed?

Weird.

LX model does not have wheel well linings.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure this is going anywhere either. I was sent by email, a survey from Strategic Vision. Typical stuff, miles, how you like it,would you buy another, yada yada. At the end was a comment section and that is where I blasted Honda for such cheap engineering. They asked if I felt good about the car in one survey section and I responded,NO. In comments I said Honda has lowered themselves to a new level of quality allowing engineers to put carpet as fender liners. How cheap can you get and that I am embarrassed to drive the car that everyone can see the poor quality. Told them mine sag and with recent wet snows to the point it nearly rubs the tire at the top. I am not happy,as it looks to be a salt sponge. Told them I doubt Honda will fix this because it is not a safety issue unless it collapses and wraps around a tire and rips/pinches/yanks off a brake hose or wiring. Told them I would NOT be interested in buying another Fit because some of the construction have become so cheap. Told them I am on a Fit message board and hundreds of owners have the same issue and are upset about it. If they pass it on to Honda ,maybe a statement of general discontent may trigger some action?? There was a section for contact info and I left mine just to see if Honda will actually do something. I do like the car,the fit and finish on mine is very good,and only gripe is the fender liner quality. If they survive the winter I'll rip them out and spray on the undercoating in warmer weather,if Honda hasn't done something by then.

Dealer called a month after ownership and I told him the first recall on the 2015 will be the carpet fender liners. Even the salesman said,yeah what were they thinking in the snow belt areas. My dealer is aware,it's a American Honda issue.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by PaFitter
Not sure this is going anywhere either.
The first thing to do is to call American Honda and get your case #.

Last edited by Chazman; 01-12-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Chazman
The first thing to do is to call American Honda and get your case #.

Here is the American Honda Customer Service contact info:

U.S.: 1-800-999-1009
Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

I previously had a case number and called Honda a couple of days ago to get an update on any progress for this issue. They said they contacted the dealer to see if anything was done to fix it. Of course, the dealer said they don't have a fix until Honda engineers come up with one. So, HONDA CLOSED MY CASE NUMBER. I said why close the case when the problem is not solved. They said there is nothing to more to do until, AND IF, the engineers act on it.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
HONDA CLOSED MY CASE NUMBER. I said why close the case when the problem is not solved. They said there is nothing to more to do until, AND IF, the engineers act on it.
Thanks for the update!

So, we are not sure if American Honda is working on the solution or not.

I'm in the vehicle manufacturing industry and I know.
Folks, this is a numbers game - more reports/complaints there are, more likely that American Honda will do somethign about it.

Squeaky wheels get oiled!
Crying babies get the milk!

All 2015 Fit EX & EX-L owners who have this problem should call American Honda and get your case #.

It may not do anything NOW, but your case # may become an important evidence in the future to resolve this issue in your favor!

Last edited by Chazman; 01-13-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
They said there is nothing to more to do until, AND IF, the engineers act on it.
That brings it back to... Honda knows. The customer service people are there to see that customers are treated well, not to redesign the car.

As far as the customer service people are concerned, you might as well be complaining that your liftgate doesn't swing out to the side or that it isn't a 2-door. If the dealer were refusing to fix something that Honda agreed needed fixing, they'd be all over that dealer. The dealer isn't refusing to do anything except spend their time and money to fix something that Honda has dedided isn't broken, so the customer service people are fine with it. Their answer is to say "You are correct, sir," and close the case.

Agitating is one thing, expecting dealers and customer service people to do what Corporate isn't going to pay for is something else. Your best hope is probably that Honda will take a look at a change for the 16 model year and then you can agitate again to have them cover a replacement for MY15 owners who have complained. But they probably won't publicize it at all and people in the field may or may not notice that the part number has changed- if anything gets done at all.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
mine are full of salt/sand from winter driving. it is a PITA to try and clean them at the car wash. it will cause the car to rust prematurely, so i will just end up removing mine as well.

Is this true? Will this cause the wheel wells to rust?

I just got my EX last weekend and although the wheel well liner isn't hanging down, it is not attached to the top inside of the wheel well and driving in Boston winter weather I think it is inevitable that they will start to sag/fall down.

*How* can a manufacturer do this? The only corrosion warranty we have is from underneath the paint, but if this shoddy liner causes premature rust from constant moisture being against the body shouldn't Honda be held liable?

I will be calling Honda tomorrow and documenting this. I just need to get my VIN number. Best to cover my A**, I think.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by carrier

I just got my EX last weekend and although the wheel well liner isn't hanging down, it is not attached to the top inside of the wheel well and driving in Boston winter weather I think it is inevitable that they will start to sag/fall down.
The liner is supposed to be tucked in tight to the inner surface of the fender, behind the fender lip. If it isn't then it will eventually sag and there are plenty of pics here of bad it can get.

I have one done correctly and one not done correctly. So it's pretty obvious when you see it or touch it that the one not right is incorrect made or installed.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Do I need to have my dealer look at it before I call Honda and get a case number?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 PM
dealer

Originally Posted by bbhondaguy
I got a call back from Honda service rep. and they will be contacting the dealer to set up a day that the rear wheel well liners will be replaced or fixed. Not my words, Honda's words.

i have appt. at dealer friday Jan. 16th for this.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
order in which i did it.

Originally Posted by SteveSatch
Do I need to have my dealer look at it before I call Honda and get a case number?

The dealer knew I had a problem with my rear well liners, I just told the dealer over the phone. They told me to call Honda cust. service. I did and got a case number. Waited for Betty at corp. Honda to talk to dealer I purchased it from, Betty called me back and gave me a specific name to ask for at the dealer service to work with. Now I have appt. at dealer to look at the problem. I assume they will have to order whatever parts they need to fix it and go back in a 2nd time to the dealer for the actual fix. But I think you could take to dealer first if you want to.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by bbhondaguy
I assume they will have to order whatever parts they need to fix it and go back in a 2nd time to the dealer for the actual fix.
I really wish you will have a better luck than all of us!

Before your case, the latest info from another member of this forum was:

HONDA CLOSED MY CASE NUMBER. I said why close the case when the problem is not solved. They said there is nothing to more to do until, AND IF, the (Honda) engineers act on it.

Let us all know the outcome of your case!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 PM
New member concern

First post, new member. My '15 Fit EX-CVT has been on order since November and I (somewhat) patiently await delivery, now 3 days past the delivery date that the dealership sent me in December. Been driving my super reliable '07 Fit and am hoping that the new one will continue to provide me with low maintenance and a highly functional fun ride.

I have been keeping abreast many of the issues with the '15 for a few months now. This wheel well one does cause some concern living here on the wet coast. The EX and the EX-L here in Canada sport the liners/carpeting in the rear wheel wells. When I was in the Honda dealer showroom today, I started feeling the rear wells of several other models (ie Pilot, Civic, Accord) and most of them had some form of this felt liner, although it seems thicker and more poorly attached on the Fits. I expect that after driving in the rain for a week here, they will sag and I will have to deal with this. Definitely a poor design feature.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carrier
this is absolutely the case. it is a piss poor design that will most definately be a problem long term in states where they salt the roads. i looked at mine earlier today, and there is ton of salt/sand/dirt packed between the liner and the wheel well. just tapping the liner with my hand, and bunch of it fell out.

took these pics before i washed the car today:

come springtime, i will remove these and clean the area. i will fill any of the holes left, and run the car without them.

if they come up with a fix, i will take it to the dealer, but until then i will just remove them.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Call Honda America to get a case number and send them your pictures. If you don't and remove the liners or otherwise try to remedy the problem yourself without notifying them then you will be SOL later when Honda does actually issue a recall or TSB to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by rodney
this is absolutely the case. it is a piss poor design that will most definately be a problem long term in states where they salt the roads. i looked at mine earlier today, and there is ton of salt/sand/dirt packed between the liner and the wheel well. just tapping the liner with my hand, and bunch of it fell out.

took these pics before i washed the car today:

come springtime, i will remove these and clean the area. i will fill any of the holes left, and run the car without them.

if they come up with a fix, i will take it to the dealer, but until then i will just remove them.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
Call Honda America to get a case number and send them your pictures. If you don't and remove the liners or otherwise try to remedy the problem yourself without notifying them then you will be SOL later when Honda does actually issue a recall or TSB to fix the problem.
i can always put them back in. it is seriously a simple remove/reinstall.

my bumper to bumper warranty will be gone in 6-7 months and drivetrain a year after that. i do not want the car to rust prematurely while waiting/hoping honda comes out with a fix.

i traded in a 2012' kia rio because the rear end rotted out prematurely, and i am hoping the fit fares better.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel well question