3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Big enough for a driver who is 6'6"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Big enough for a driver who is 6'6"?

I have a Subaru Impreza. Supposedly its made for someone as tall as 6'7"...and I fit quite well in it. But the car is getting old and my son is taking after me and will not fit in the back too much longer without a lot more whining. So I've been looking for a new car. Right now the Prius is my first choice (big enough and great mpg). But...its not the best looking car. Now I know the Fit has a ton of space in the back (measurements put it waaaay bigger than my car and even bigger than the Prius in leg room). But what about the driver's seat? Room enough for a drive who is 6'6"?

I do plan on seeing for myself the next chance I get but the last dealership I stopped at had no parking (filled with new cars) and I wasn't going to waste my time with them if they're not going to reserve enough parking for potential customers. And even if I sit in it and I think I fit I might not be comfortable after a long drive. So getting an opinion from a tall driver would be most appreciated.

So how is it?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by Evesowner
I have a Subaru Impreza. Supposedly its made for someone as tall as 6'7"...and I fit quite well in it. But the car is getting old and my son is taking after me and will not fit in the back too much longer without a lot more whining. So I've been looking for a new car. Right now the Prius is my first choice (big enough and great mpg). But...its not the best looking car. Now I know the Fit has a ton of space in the back (measurements put it waaaay bigger than my car and even bigger than the Prius in leg room). But what about the driver's seat? Room enough for a drive who is 6'6"?

I do plan on seeing for myself the next chance I get but the last dealership I stopped at had no parking (filled with new cars) and I wasn't going to waste my time with them if they're not going to reserve enough parking for potential customers. And even if I sit in it and I think I fit I might not be comfortable after a long drive. So getting an opinion from a tall driver would be most appreciated.

So how is it?
I don't know which model you are looking at because you never stated it but I'm 6'1 and I fit fine and there is still room to slide back. The steering wheel is telescopic too. Drivers seat has no height adjustment which tall people don't really need but the back seat in my 13' Sport has 38in of leg room. Airliners seats are 30in by comparison. The rear seats can also recline about I'd say 2in which helps an over 6ft person can sit behind you.

I'd even go as far to say your son should get a used 07-08 fit. Unless you want him to have awd. I hope all that I opined about, helps you. All these good size numbers and features are in the 15'.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Hi there - I'm 6'3" and my hair rubs on the roof in the back. It's fine for short trips but would be terribly annoying in longer trips. Reclining the rear seats makes this worse due to roof design sloping down. Front seat leg and headroom is sufficient though. I would highly recommend getting the LX which does not have the sunroof in my EX, this would further improve front headroom and increase the feeling of rear headroom, while not actually improving it.

Some passengers say that front legroom is lacking for long trips (you cant stretch your legs if you're 6'+ in the front, even with the seat all the way back due to the position of the firewall, but rear seat legroom is enormous. I'm a bit confused why Honda made rear legroom longer than front legroom, but rear headroom less than front legroom. *shrug*

These are all minor niggles though - it's a phenomenal car. You should swing by a Honda dealer and see how you fit, then see if you fit behind your seat once it is adjusted for your position.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 AM
I'm 6'3" and in the front seat I have more than enough head room to spare. You can even lower the seat, and have even more room. I have the EX-L with of course the SunRoof so you should have absolutely no problem. As far as the rear seat..Well, I don't drive my car from the back, but it to has plenty of head room.

Last edited by SR45; 09-30-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
6'-5" here and I "fit" fine in my EX with sunroof. Your fit will somewhat depend on if you are long in leg vs. long in torso. I wouldn't mind being able to move the seat back one more notch if it were there, but so far (800 miles since purchased) have never felt cramped, either. I can sit in the back seat okay - it's much better than the back seat of practically any compact I've ever owned - but I really wouldn't want to be back there on a multi-hour trip.

es

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
how about front passenger seat? a buddy of mine is 6'3", and swears the front passenger seat on my 15' has less legrom then his old 2010 fit.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
My concern for my son in the back is not that he'll be 6'+ anytime soon....he is just 6 years old. But I tend to keep cars a long time (11+ years on current car and 7+ on previous one) and I always plan for the future. So while looking for a car I take into consideration 5+ years from now.

Now those of you who are 6'3"+ and have a sun roof... That's a very good sign. Those things are notorious for taking away headroom. Good to hear that the seat is adjustable as well.

I look forward to my next chance to stop at a dealership. Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM
6'5" here with 36" inseam, and the car has a tremendous amount of room. I have adjusted the driver's seat to my liking and sat in the rear behind the driver's seat at that setting and found plenty of legroom. I kid you not when I say it is on par with my wife's Town & Country.

I bought the LX, by the way. I test drove an EX and found the moonroof definitely impeded on me because cranking the seat up more gives my legs the space they require. I still have room to slide the seat back further, but then it puts me further away from the steering wheel than I like.

Now, it is fine in stock form, but for a little bit of extra comfort, I did buy longer bolts along with half-inch spacers and raised the front of the seat frame. This allows me to lower the seat back down a little and rest my legs comfortably.

Last edited by Qbrozen; 09-30-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 AM
I agree with stembridge, the head room is great but with my long legs another click of the seat would be fantastic. Other wise its a great "fit" for me. I'm 6ft and i have the manual ex btw.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
6'5", 32" inseam here. When I went to the dealership I had sat in an Ex, it had plenty of headroom. Much more than my current Jeep. And with the seat back all the way I found my legs had enough room that I could likely handle long trips. So I ordered one. I'm loving this awesome thread. Makes me feel good about my choice.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm 6'1" and I don't think you'll be very comfortable. It works for me but if I was any taller I'd be unhappy.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
36" inseam for me...some of you don't paint a rosey outlook for me here.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't know how you over 6" people sit in here and be comfortable.. I'm 5'11 and my seat is all the way back and reclined about a quarter of the way down and my leg still cant stretch. Maybe I have long legs.. and I drive leaned back... In the end I guess its all personal preference.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Exactly. The position you are comfortable driving in (and automatic vs manual) will make a huge difference. So all you can do is try it yourself and see.

I've changed my position over the years. I used to be reclined quite a bit, arms outstretched, and "required" a decent-sized car with a deep power seat. About the time I got into racing is when I switched to wanting to sit more upright, elbows bent, and feet close enough to the firewall so I could brace myself in hard turns. This also, conveniently, allows me to fit comfortably in smaller cars.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM
the head room is crazy in the fit that's all i can say.
the interior height makes me feel small and i'm 5'9

Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm 5'11 and I would love it if there was a bit more room for my legs.. headroom is good though, can't imagine anybody your height having a problem.

I've seen some videos where the driver/reviewer is around 6'3 and he's saying its okay, but to me he looks ridiculous... Its a matter of driving preference in the end I suppose.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
6'5 with a 36'' inseam and tall torso and I fit just fine. There is still plenty of room in the car and I've had 4 people all over 6'3'' and 240 pounds in it no problem.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM
I read here that many have no issues with the head clearance and some do. My strong suggestions and is to read from us our experience but go and see for yourself since our height and inseams are different.

Last edited by SR45; 07-18-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
the interior height makes me feel small and i'm 5'9
Ummm,..... No, too easy, won't say it.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 AM
I'm 5'6'' and like to sit upright with a straight back, meaning back flush against the seat. Plenty of room on the front, but at the back the ceiling barely skims my head when resting against the headrest. I can't imagine myself sitting in the back if I were 6', again sitting straight up with pelvis flush against the back. So I'd advise you to sit in it yourself. Note the rear seats have 2 incline positions so try both to see which gives more headroom.

Quick Reply: Big enough for a driver who is 6'6"?