3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield defect

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...You might try glass wax to reduce the problem.
Glass Wax Flashback

Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
I have been driving for close to 50 years. The 2015 Honda Fit is the ONLY car I have had issues with the windows.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:06 PM
i tried really hard to look if there is defect on my windshield
as being 2015 fit owner myself have experience quality issue on car in other forms.
so inspected my front windshield today and i saw nothing.it was crystal clear, no micro cracks no fracture no ghosting.
i detail cars as hobby so i know how difficult it can be to remove hard water stains that has been sitting.
there are many factors that ruins paint / glass etc. (water stain, bird poop, just simply not taking care of the car by using correct wash / wax products)
honestly you can't consider that as manufacturer defect

Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Hmmm, I'm now beginning to wonder if my car also has this glass problem. Yesterday I was doing a little detailing on my car (it was a beautiful day here in the NE) and part of that detailing was to clean the windows. The car was initially parked in my garage. After I was done, I pulled the car into the sun and I was like, "what is this 'glittery' coating on some of my windows?!?" So I cleaned them again, and it was still there. I tried another cleaner, and it's still there. If I'm describing it well, it's like this very fine glittery effect, and noticable when viewing at different angles. It won't some off. I'm presently seeing it the most on the little side front and rear "quarter windows." Those are completely covered in this glitterly effect. The side windows have some, but the little quarter windows have it the most. And all of the windows have very noticable hard water spots. I never experieced these type of water spots on my last car (of 15 years) and I've lived in the same general location with the same kind of environmental conditions. So could this glitterly effect possibly be defects? Will it get worse in time I wonder?

Last edited by pherank; 10-28-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Pherank, I also had water spots that would not come off with regular glass cleaner. I tried Meguiar's A3714 Compound Water Spot Remover (available on Amazon). It worked pretty good but requires quite a bit of effort.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by pherank
Hmmm, I'm now beginning to wonder if my car also has this glass problem. Yesterday I was doing a little detailing on my car (it was a beautiful day here in the NE) and part of that detailing was to clean the windows. The car was initially parked in my garage. After I was done, I pulled the car into the sun and I was like, "what is this 'glittery' coating on some of my windows?!?" So I cleaned them again, and it was still there. I tried another cleaner, and it's still there. If I'm describing it well, it's like this very fine glittery effect, and noticable when viewing at different angles. It won't some off. I'm presently seeing it the most on the little side front and rear "quarter windows." Those are completely covered in this glitterly effect. The side windows have some, but the little quarter windows have it the most. And all of the windows have very noticable hard water spots. I never experieced these type of water spots on my last car (of 15 years) and I've lived in the same general location with the same kind of environmental conditions. So could this glitterly effect possibly be defects? Will it get worse in time I wonder?
I seem to have it mainly in my front windshield. It has indeed gotten worse over the summer! The service manager at my local dealership said it was "wear and tear" and I'm out of luck. I've NEVER had this happen on any other car. He did show me that a few other cars there in the parking lot had the same problem, but still..... Each 'glitter' is a three-pronged star, and if you take a pen to check for dings, you'll likely find that they are indeed chips. Weird.
Keep me posted if you come up with solutions....

Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 PM
Cloud11244 - thanks for the tip. I'll give that product a try. Much appreciated!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Had the recall done on my bumper. The front doesn't fit anymore. They replaced he bumper cover and it still sags. Going back this week. You can lift the front up and the seams match perfectly. Don't kbnow why they cant line it up right. looks like crap. Sorry I took it in for the recall. Might have to take it to a collision center(not hondas) and get it straightened properly. One mor thing to be upset over.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Mine was like that from the start, and it has been getting worse since I had the bumper recall done.
The seam between the bumper cover and the body is "triangular" if that makes sense.
Instead of a parallel seam like || it looks like \|, separating at the top. Since I've been to the dealer about 20 times now in the last 3 months, I'll wait to bring it in since they won't help me anyways, since it is "in spec".

Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Comedycountry
Had the recall done on my bumper. The front doesn't fit anymore. They replaced he bumper cover and it still sags. Going back this week. You can lift the front up and the seams match perfectly. Don't kbnow why they cant line it up right. looks like crap. Sorry I took it in for the recall. Might have to take it to a collision center(not hondas) and get it straightened properly. One mor thing to be upset over.
I noticed on my daughters car when she was home last weekend, her front bumper seems to sag as well. Bigbadvoodooguru, I know exactly what your talking about when you describe the angle as a triangle. When I pulled up on the front bumper, it did go parallel but then when I released it, it went back to the top gap position. It seams like tightening a screw or bolt somewhere would fix the problem. We did not have the bumper beam replaced, so as far as I know, the bumper has never been removed in the past.

p.s. Sorry this conversation ended up in the "windshield defect" thread. It was not intentional.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-01-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
2015 FIT Windshield Stress Fracture?

I was detailing my 2 month old, 2500+ mile 2015 FIT this afternoon and for the first time noticed what appears to be an irregular 12 inch + long crack in the windshield with some spidering.

It's not visible at all from the inside of the car. You can't see it while driving. And the reason I did not notice it sooner.

It's on the passenger's side in the lower corner, only in the black tape area, and it's covered and hidden to a large degree by the smaller windshield wiper arm. There are 2 spiders running from the passenger side end of the glass where the molding is, they come together and meet with the main crack line that runs a foot toward the driver's side.

I conducted a few tests:

I took my finger and then my nail and ran it up and down on the outside of the glass vertical to the crack and it's perfectly smooth on the outside. I took a pen tip and did the same and there were no catches. No visible impact damage to the outside of the glass.

I then went inside to inspect. None of the crack is visible from the inside--it's all below the dash line in the black tape.

Anyone else see this on their FIT? Or have a similar problem on a 2015?

I will address this with the Honda Service Advisor at the dealer next week.

This is very unusual. I sold my 2009 FIT with 70K miles and 5.5 years of driving all over and in all conditions with the original windshield in very good condition. Just normal wear and tear, some pings, no windshield cracks at all.

Thank you.

Last edited by FITEsq; 05-20-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Windshield defect

Goodness - and I thought I was imagining things! Got my 2015 EX last July, and noticed what looked like a water spot on the driver's side. Showed it to the dealer, and was told the same thing -- hard water spot. They scraped it with a razor blade and told me it was gone. But after almost a year of car washes, it's still there. Good to know I'm not hallucinating!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Fine scratches

I know this is an old thread but I bought a certified used 2015 fit that was a dealer employee's car. 13000 miles ex L with nav and many other extras but when I drive directly into the sun I see fine swirl scratches reflecting. I am wondering if maybe they tried something to correct what you all are describing and this is the result. In fact, all of the windows seem to have swirl/ fine scratches when the sun is directly on them. Wish I could remedy this, especially the windshield.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Can you take the car to a quality window glass shop and get the owner/chief tech to step outside, inspect, and get an opinion on what caused that, and if they have a least invasive solution?

Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by first honda
I know this is an old thread but I bought a certified used 2015 fit that was a dealer employee's car. 13000 miles ex L with nav and many other extras but when I drive directly into the sun I see fine swirl scratches reflecting. I am wondering if maybe they tried something to correct what you all are describing and this is the result. In fact, all of the windows seem to have swirl/ fine scratches when the sun is directly on them. Wish I could remedy this, especially the windshield.
First thought, can these "scratches" on the glass be wiped off? In other words, are you sure they are actually real scratches?

It's not super easy to scratch glass. You need something with equal or more hardness than glass. If they really are scratches, I am pretty sure these swirls of scratches was caused by someone wiping the windows in a circular motion with whatever rag or towel having sand or some other grit particles in the rag. (Lol, were they using sandpaper??? O_O)

Not sure how to help if they are indeed scratches though.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I am going to take it to a glass shop when I get time. Was just searching here for ideas.

I am thinking previous owner or dealer may have washed windows with a contaminated rag and I didn't notice in test drive as you only see in direct sun light. The paint has none of the swirls and I use micro fiber and have never had this in any other cars.

Thanks for the feed back.
D