3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda penalizes top execs over Fit recalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Honda penalizes top execs over Fit recalls

Honda penalizes top execs over Fit recalls | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

About time! I love this car and I am a Honda fan but Honda can not continue to build cars with the issues that this new Fit has. I am still going to buy one but they can do better with the quality issues.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 PM
I found another article this morning, apparently this is about problems relating to the Japan model Fit. Not the US model. Still maybe they need to take a better look at both.

Honda execs take 'quality-related' pay cut after Fit Hybrid's 5th recall - Autoblog

Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
I found another article this morning, apparently this is about problems relating to the Japan model Fit. Not the US model. Still maybe they need to take a better look at both.

Honda execs take 'quality-related' pay cut after Fit Hybrid's 5th recall - Autoblog
Exactly, except for the bumper replacement, all of the other recalls were for the Japan built Fit.
And remember that the bumper replacement was done to improve ratings in the small overlap test. That test is done only in the US, so the original bumper would easily pass the Euro/Latin/Chinese Ncap tests.

So I would say it shouldn't be considered a 'quality' issue but a 'security upgrade' for the US market (as far as I know, no Fits were recalled for this matter on other countries)

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by gusvera
Exactly, except for the bumper replacement, all of the other recalls were for the Japan built Fit.
And remember that the bumper replacement was done to improve ratings in the small overlap test. That test is done only in the US, so the original bumper would easily pass the Euro/Latin/Chinese Ncap tests.

So I would say it shouldn't be considered a 'quality' issue but a 'security upgrade' for the US market (as far as I know, no Fits were recalled for this matter on other countries)
Well my point is there have been far to many "quality" issues on the new Fit. Recalls are/should be considered "quality". The new Fit has not upheld Honda's reputation for quality.
And as far as the bumper is concerned a manufacture should be more interested in making the car as safe as possible regardless of whoever's specific crash test for advertising how many stars they got. The issue was the bumper was breaking apart because they did not properly weld it together. Get it together Honda!!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 AM
This is probably more about the Fit Hybrid recalls.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
This is probably more about the Fit Hybrid recalls.
Boy, I am glad mine was built in Mexico and not Japan!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
The issue was the bumper was breaking apart because they did not properly weld it together. Get it together Honda!!
No, the issue was the bumper, as designed. exceeding its limits in the small overlap test. Honda figured out that a small alteration in that design fixed the issue. There were no manufacturing defects in the original bumper.

Everything is a tradeoff. Could the structure be further improved to get a "good" in the small overlap test? Probably, but the tradeoff would be more weight and cost. Would people buy a $30K Fit? Honda opted to settle for the lower "acceptable" score since it still qualifies the car for the "top safety pick" designation.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Probably other manufacturers have quality issues also but don't give a damn enough to fix them or fess up.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:44 PM
The issue is that Honda, who has a reputation of being obsessive about quality and engineering excellence, is suddenly putting out products that aren't quite as excellent.

Part of the issue is complexity. The cars and other products that Honda built their reputation with were relatively simple. Kettering's law at work.

Modern Hondas are much more complex. Honda has fallen for the same "More Bells and Whistles" trend that struck Detroit in the '60s. Every feature that is added takes engineering attention away from more important items because the cost of the car has to be limited to keep it salable.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Boy, I am glad mine was built in Mexico and not Japan!
I have had both Japan built Fits and the Mexican one. So far, at 5,000 miles, the Mexican one is far better built

Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Modern Hondas are much more complex.
False.

Modern Hondas have more useless electronic doodads, however mechanically they are really not much more complicated.

Sure, they have direct injection and CVT's, however they also almost universally have McPherson struts up front and torsion beam rears, rather than the vastly superior double wishbone Civics/Integras/etc., of the 90's.

Also, this is related to the Fit Hybrid...not the GK.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Lol. Quality and support for new cars is light years better than back in the day. They don't make a 'bad' car anymore.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 PM
So what exactly were the issues with the Japanese fits, hopefully nothing engine related....

Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mercfh
So what exactly were the issues with the Japanese fits, hopefully nothing engine related....
My three Japanese built Fits are/were all incredibly reliable.

The reason for the pay cut is tied to the Fit Hybrid...which we never got and have no bearing on a Japan-built US market car.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
I have had both Japan built Fits and the Mexican one. So far, at 5,000 miles, the Mexican one is far better built
I agree. Mine is also built at the Mexican plant in August. I've read early production had several quality control issues since the plant is brand new and this is a totally redesigned Fit. Looks like they got these issues fixed.

2006 Honda Civic redesign had the same issues when I bought mine. Mostly cosmetic that I was able to fix myself. Couple issues I didn't worry about.

My Fit is not 100% perfect but it's fixable and minor. Overall I love the car and it's flexibility of hauling stuff. Just wish the engine is a little bigger to give it a more ooomph. Then again it's MPG I am after so I'm happy with getting average 42mpg on the highway. My 2012 Civic Hybrid was great too but can't haul anything since the seats can't fold down and small trunk space.
So had to trade it in for the 2015 Fit EX-L with Navi. Leather is not my favorite but it's the only trim level to get the features I want.

I am on my 7th Honda.

91' CRX HF (used)
92' Civic Hatchback DX (used)
98' Civic LX (used)
2006 Civic EX (new)
2009 CRV LX (new)
2012 Hybrid with Navi (new)
2015 Fit EX-L with Navi (new)

Last edited by DArkk; 10-25-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Do people read the articles before they comment? The issues are mostly with the hybrid version of the Fit. It doesn't matter where your car was built. The Mexican Fits are having their share of probs as well.

Last edited by izzyzz; 10-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Mercfh, at least some of the issues were with the dual clutch transmission specific to the hybrid in Japan. Not sure if that's all 5 recalls.