3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

This is Bad for EX Owners - Car Theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
This is Bad for EX Owners - Car Theft

Stealing keyless cars is becoming a popular business because the electronics required are available online.

BBC News - Keyless cars 'increasingly targeted by thieves using computers'

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
How does this work unless they stand next to the car and scan for all the possible codes and then program a fob?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
m_x
I think I would worry if I drove a nicer car. I think the theives that would go to these lengths are not looking to steal a $20k Honda. The article mentions Range Rovers, which even on the black market probably net more than the Fit's MSRP.

Now, they might steal your wheels and throw them in the back of their stolen Range Rover... that's a whole other story. And maybe I am just trying to assuage my own concerns (I own an EX myself), and also live in a fairly low crime area, I just don't think it will happen.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
If they can sell it, they will steal it. The Ford Focus has been a popular target.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
I think I would worry if I drove a nicer car.
The article states up front this is being done to steal "High-end" cars…

Not that someone couldn't use it to steal a Fit, too.

es

Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
My strategy for dealing with this issue, two words, "State Farm". Not only do I get a new car, but a higher VIN # as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM
HEre's something about how easy it was to steal a BMW. They also mentioned you can disable the OBD port. Wonder if that is an option for us?

Video: Thieves Steal Keyless BMW In Less Than 3 Minutes

Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 AM
People have been busting windows out and hotwiring a car for decades. If they want to steal it they will steal it. Insure it and don't park in shady areas.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Zute
HEre's something about how easy it was to steal a BMW. They also mentioned you can disable the OBD port. Wonder if that is an option for us?

Video: Thieves Steal Keyless BMW In Less Than 3 Minutes
I'm surprised that the BMW didn't have an alarm for the glass. (Even my 1995 BMW has one.)

So this isn't really any more of a risk than any vehicle that has windows...

Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Pro thieves hereabouts use flatbeds. Pretty hard to defend against that.

The last part of the article shows that the article is making a mountain from a molehill:

But Ian Crowder, from motorists' group the AA, warned the risk should not be overstated.
"By far the most common way of a car being stolen is still from thieves breaking into homes and stealing keys," he said.
"The keys are still the weakest link in a car security chain. If someone has your keys, they have your car."

Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I always figured that professional car thieves would be able to defeat any security system. I've had alarms on my cars the last 25 years or so mainly to deter crackheads and others wanting to break in and steal (in the old days at least) the stereo system. Fortunately, mine sleeps in the garage at night. But, in light of George L's post, I think I'll start taking my key fob with me even if I'm going in the wife's car.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Factory installed security systems always easy target. Since the system is software based they can apply firmware updates to cut down on this issue. It'll never be foolproof but least make it more of a deterrent.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:36 PM
The old way: The technology to beat a "remote keyless system" has been around for at least 15 years. It works pretty much the same as your garage door opener, and anyone with a laptop, an antenna, and some aluminum foil can get your "key". It's because those old keys and garage door openers used radio waves.

The new way: Smart keys. I'd assume this is similar to the old "cracker jacks". The thieves walk down a parking lot with a handheld device that just spams hundred of codes a second. Once one of the codes hits a car where the key fits, the horn beeps or lights flash or something else where the thief can see it.

It's actually much easier once you have the device to steal a keyless car to actually steal the car, than it is to steal the keyed car. But let's be honest, that probably measures in the "seconds" category instead of the "minutes"

Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I still like mechanical locks. The need for a key combined with a hard-coded digital signature that has to be hard-wired to the car pretty much eliminates hacking. If the car is unlocked via RF it leaves the door wide open to lots of creative schemes. People who simply want a challenge will develop cracks for various cars and of course they will publicize them to show off their prowess. Next thing you know street thieves with no skills at all will have an automated version of the crack.

Seems like the old "hidden kill switch" idea still has merit!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Seems like the old "hidden kill switch" idea still has merit!
Really though! I had a friend that used to pull the fuse to the starter every time he left it, but that means a lot of digging around in fuse boxes...

Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
My strategy for dealing with this issue, two words, "State Farm". Not only do I get a new car, but a higher VIN # as well.
I hope State Farm does not depreciate your FIT too much. I have one word that helps GARAGE! But I also have an LX, I don't think they would steal my hubcaps and steel wheels. I have State Farm insurance, have never had a car stolen, yet. I test drove an EX and did not like the key system or sunroof
Bill #22335

Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by lexic
I'm surprised that the BMW didn't have an alarm for the glass. (Even my 1995 BMW has one.)

So this isn't really any more of a risk than any vehicle that has windows...
There was a saying, BMW stands for BREAK MY WINDOW!!

Last edited by BILLBOGEY; 10-29-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spel corection