3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ambient Fuel Usage Indicator (blue/green lighting) around speedometer

Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Ambient Fuel Usage Indicator (blue/green lighting) around speedometer

How do you turn off the blue/green lights on either side of the speedometer (ambient fuel usage indicators)? The 2015 Fit features brochure only directs you to the Driving Manual Customizing Settings but I am still unable to locate it there. Thank you

2015 Honda Fit LX Manual

Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
My recollection from previous threads where this was asked is that you can't. I love them so that's all I can say to help.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Take your dash apart and remove the LEDs. Other than that, you'll have to just get used to them, I'm afraid. Honda's own literature incorrectly states you can turn this off, which only adds to the confusion.

es

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM
thanks guys, I was afraid of that being the case (tech reference manual contradicting owners manual). Since it was the first year at the new plant in Mexico I'm surprised there aren't any more "language misinterpretation" errors, lol.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
Take your dash apart and remove the LEDs. Other than that, you'll have to just get used to them, I'm afraid. Honda's own literature incorrectly states you can turn this off, which only adds to the confusion.

es
Out of curiosity, are these Blue and Green LEDs swappable, or does anyone even know that? I'd prefer the green come on when I am NOT driving efficiently so it is more apparent, and draws my attention.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Unknown. I have yet to see anyone who's taken apart the gauge cluster on the GK Fit.

es

Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Actually you can only either turn them permanently blue or the usual green to blue to green mode.

There is no way to turn it off.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:15 PM
put some electrical tape over it :P

Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
The first week I got my GK, tied to follow those lights religiously, in the hope that I could max the mpg. The best I got was 46 mpg highway. (will never see that again after my mods!!!!)

Unfortunately, on the road, have had my share of bad looks from other driver;s wondering why a new car is driving like a turtle.

Have trained my yes to discount the blue/green lights and now just accelerate, sparingly, to get to the speed I want.

In the city I can get 36 mpg and in the highway its looking like 40 mpg, and that's with the add'l 200 lbs. of sound-deadening and audio equipment installed.

Me thinks that pretty decent!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
The first week I got my GK, tied to follow those lights religiously, in the hope that I could max the mpg. The best I got was 46 mpg highway. (will never see that again after my mods!!!!)

Unfortunately, on the road, have had my share of bad looks from other driver;s wondering why a new car is driving like a turtle.

Have trained my yes to discount the blue/green lights and now just accelerate, sparingly, to get to the speed I want.

In the city I can get 36 mpg and in the highway its looking like 40 mpg, and that's with the add'l 200 lbs. of sound-deadening and audio equipment installed.

Me thinks that pretty decent!!!
You're doing pretty good there with those MPG and added weight. A good ride do come with a price and it's well worth it.

I may try different ideas for sound-deadening material that is lightweight and doesn't have to be very quiet.

The doors and wheel wells are usually the most problem areas.

The crappy rear wheel liners in the back on my EX are going go bye bye and replace it with something more durable and isn't going to trap dirt and crap to cause problems with the wells.

Deadening TIP: Since I did practically the whole car (except the roof), just doing the doors and hatch is enough to eliminate 80% of that wind noise others have noticed. The engine drone at 80 mph is mostly negligeable. Opening and closing all the doors has a substantial feel asking you "was I made in the Fatherland?????". Good luck and post your decision. - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-13-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:17 AM
I actually wish the FIT used the in-dash light show that the cr-z has. Much more advanced indicator lights, with a really cool start up sequence to boot. Surprised they didn't carry over the red color when you're really flooring on the gas.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I know how! Buy an Accord.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
put some electrical tape over it :P

Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jinw
Nothing duct tape can't fix!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Keep gas pedal to the floor then the lights will turn red.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
I call this my VTEC meter. When it's blue, I'm in VTEC, green is no VTEC. Is this accurate?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM
m_x
Originally Posted by JN2k108
I call this my VTEC meter. When it's blue, I'm in VTEC, green is no VTEC. Is this accurate?
I mean, not really accurate, but not totally inaccurate I guess. Depends how you're driving.

I have the M/T and those lights just have to be ignored. They seem to ALWAYS be blue unless you're in 6th gear. Shift to a higher gear, lights turn green, then quickly turn to mid blue, then turn dark blue, no matter what the RPM is or how open the throttle is.

For example, say you are going at a steady 25mph in 4th, which is like 1.5k RPM. I find that 2k is sort of the lowest RPM can be before the engine sounds like it's working too hard, so I'm usually in 3rd at 25mph (I know that's just my driving style and others will disagree). So you're going slow at a low RPM in a good gear and the freaking lights are blue! I do not believe you are in any kind of VTEC range at 2k, and yet the lights are blue.

I find the only time they are steady green is when I'm cruising in 6th.

I am very curious to know if I am interpreting this incorrectly.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Using an OBD scanner and the Torque app, I found that when the accelerator pedal is pushed 20% to 25% down, the eco coaching ambient meter turns turquose, beyond 25% it turns blue. This correlation between throttle position and ambient meter was consistent EXCEPT when driving slower than 20 MPH where the eco coaching is more forgiving, staying green even when the throttle was pressed down up to 25% to 30%. It seems like the eco coaching is mainly training you to not press the pedal down too far.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
Using an OBD scanner and the Torque app, I found that when the accelerator pedal is pushed 20% to 25% down, the eco coaching ambient meter turns turquose, beyond 25% it turns blue. This correlation between throttle position and ambient meter was consistent EXCEPT when driving slower than 20 MPH where the eco coaching is more forgiving, staying green even when the throttle was pressed down up to 25% to 30%. It seems like the eco coaching is mainly training you to not press the pedal down too far.
Thanks for this, Simon. That's sort of what I'd concluded.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Modern fuel mileage vacuum guage

The Honda ECO coaching reminds me of the old fuel mileage gauges from the 70s. They used engine vacuum to show relative fuel mileage. The meter pointed to the green zone when doing well to yellow and the to red when you were on the throttle. I have run one in my last car for 20 years. I like the lights for the better mileage coaching and I did not even have to install it. I still have several of these old gauges around the house but do not need one for the Fit. Technology moves on.

James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ambient Fuel Usage Indicator (blue/green lighting) around speedometer