3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Aftermarket Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Aftermarket Remote Starter

I wanted to get a remote starter from the dealer for my Fit, but the 450 foot range is just not going to cut it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket remote starter?

Has anyone installed one in a 2015 Fit thus far?

My range requirement is about 1000 feet.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM
You want to start your car from a quarter mile away? I don't think I'd want to start a car I can't observe.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
You want to start your car from a quarter mile away? I don't think I'd want to start a car I can't observe.
Probably closer to 700 feet away. Either way, 450 feet is possibly not going to cut it and I would hate to get the starter and find out the range is not good enough.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Even at 700 feet that's asking a lot for a key fob to transmit over such a distance. You would be better off installing a remote start with GPS capability. Take Blue Link for Hyundai. It uses a web service and GPS to contact the car and remote start it from your phone. It relies on the GPS Antenna to execute the remote run instead of a tiny fob that's limited in range. You do pay for this service though. This may be more to your needs...

Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Question for you Honda Remote Start owners... do you have to have the automatic temp setup for the heater or AC to come on when the engine is remote started?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Question for you Honda Remote Start owners... do you have to have the automatic temp setup for the heater or AC to come on when the engine is remote started?
I am not yet a remote start owner, but I'm thinking I read the temp setting will be whatever you set last time you were in the car. So, in anticipation of a cold start, you would turn up the heat and fan to where you wanted them before locking up the car for the night. Of course, not having this feature, I could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I am not yet a remote start owner, but I'm thinking I read the temp setting will be whatever you set last time you were in the car. So, in anticipation of a cold start, you would turn up the heat and fan to where you wanted them before locking up the car for the night. Of course, not having this feature, I could be wrong.
Thanks! With mechanical temperature and damper controls that certainly seems logical to me. I guess the question is whether the fan motor would get power.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Contacted Honda and they want $900 to install the Honda branded remote starter.

Contacted a repair shop about an aftermarket installed and was quoted $280. However he said none of the aftermarket models at the moment work with the Honda Fit push button start models.

Edit:
Best price for the official Honda remote started installed was $580. The majority of dealers quoted prices ranging from $850 to $1000.

Last edited by kaikou; 11-17-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Honda kit through one of the dealers often listed here that have pretty good discounts. Don't remember what I paid at the moment tho.

It's on my to-do list to install, but I've got to wait until I have a free Saturday! I'll take pics and document the install when I do it (unless someone beats me to it).

es

Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I bought the Honda kit through one of the dealers often listed here that have pretty good discounts. Don't remember what I paid at the moment tho.

It's on my to-do list to install, but I've got to wait until I have a free Saturday! I'll take pics and document the install when I do it (unless someone beats me to it).

es

Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM
All you guys with remote starts to cool/heat the car before you get in it. Us cool people with the 6MT's need not worry about having such creature comforts. Fight the cold and beat the heat! HAHA!

Honda COULD make a manual tranny remote start with a "reservation mode" so it knows not to start in gear after you exit a vehicle. You set the mode with the engine running and in neutral. Once you exit the vehicle the doors lock and kills the engine. You remote start the car from the fob, you get in the car, press the start/stop button, then you can press the brake and clutch. That's the safe way and right way to do it. Not much more complex than an auto tranny version.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 11-17-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
That's okay... after looking at the install instructions, I'll run out in -20ºF weather barefoot and in shorts to start the Fit warming up for my wife. LOL

Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
do Viper alarm/autostart for android/iPhone. you can be in california and unlok/start your car in Ohio if you wanted.

Viper SmartStart

Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
do Viper alarm/autostart for android/iPhone. you can be in california and unlok/start your car in Ohio if you wanted.

Viper SmartStart
That is actually a scary idea but yeah you can do it.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae

Viper SmartStart
yep remote started my car in NJ from Hong Kong! viper alarm also texts my phone and let me know if the alarm is triggered.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
yep remote started my car in NJ from Hong Kong! viper alarm also texts my phone and let me know if the alarm is triggered.
Theres the proof it really works. I plan on getting this for the roll down windows from remote like im used to have.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
That's okay... after looking at the install instructions, I'll run out in -20ºF weather barefoot and in shorts to start the Fit warming up for my wife. LOL
Between the complicated installation procedure, which explains the high Honda dealer prices, and the overall cost, I'm thinking a moments discomfort on cold mornings is a better deal.

This is the one item I wished I had negotiated in the car purchase itself!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I was reading through the install manual for the Honda starter kit and it's not hard. Just several panels have to come off.

Here is the worst part only the dealer can program the starter to match the control module of the car for obvious reasons. Bummer I was thinking of doing this myself someday.

The viper sounds like a cool idea using the phone as a remote starter.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 PM
I chose the remote car starter as one of the accessories I wanted in my new 2015 Fit. Dealer price installed was $389.00.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Push button start

Originally Posted by FitasaFiddle15
I chose the remote car starter as one of the accessories I wanted in my new 2015 Fit. Dealer price installed was $389.00.
Was your Fit equipped with the push button start option?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Remote Starter