3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Jack Stands

What's the jack stand situation with the new Fit? I always use jack stands when I have a car off the ground, but I'm wondering where they can go on the Fit. It's always my fear that I'll lower a car onto a jack stand and have the structure bend.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 PM
The underside of a Fit isn't that fragile. As long as you spread the load out a bit you should be able to put a jackstand under substantial structural channel. Remember that tire shops aren't terribly careful about using specific jack points and the vehicle is engineered to withstand this.

Of course, there is a lot of plastic under there too, and you don't want to put a jack under that.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM
if you are worry about that you probably shouldn't be working on a car.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Default to the pinch seams? That's usually a safe bet on a new car.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Rollups by Race Ramps - Accessory Car Lift Ramps

I purchase a pair of these and really like them. Expensive, but I have two small cars in my inventory and I looked long and hard on trying to find decent low-profile ramps. They are super light but each individual ramp is rated for 1,500lbs, and they won't slide. Our Fit drove up very easily and overshooting is not a problem since they are low enough for both sides of the tire.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 11-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
if you are worry about that you probably shouldn't be working on a car.
Not really, its a good question. Unlike cars of the past there is no "frame", so you do need to be careful. I have a Chrysler van and there are very specific points on the structure on where to lift...and everywhere else is off limits unless its suspension points.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Not really, its a good question. Unlike cars of the past there is no "frame", so you do need to be careful. I have a Chrysler van and there are very specific points on the structure on where to lift...and everywhere else is off limits unless its suspension points.
I had a travel trailer with he same situation. Lots of bad spots for a jack, but only four safe places.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

I purchase a pair of these and really like them. Expensive, but I have two small cars in my inventory and I looked long and hard on trying to find decent low-profile ramps. They are super light but each individual ramp is rated for 1,500lbs, and they won't slide. Our Fit drove up very easily and overshooting is not a problem since they are low enough for both sides of the tire.
I made a pair of large ramps with 2 x 12 lumber, but it's difficult changing a tire using them.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

Nice. Yeah pretty expensive so another choice would be the Rhino ramps that you can get anywhere for around $40 a set. The Rhino ramps are high enough that I can crawl under the car with a crawler! I also use wheel chocks in the rear for added safety.

I never had an issue with these ramps but wouldn't hurt to also use jack stands if for some reason the wheel should fall off the ramp or something slipped.

It always scares me a little working under the car knowing something could happen but I focus on the job on hand and get it done quickly as I can.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
Nice. Yeah pretty expensive so another choice would be the Rhino ramps that you can get anywhere for around $40 a set. The Rhino ramps are high enough that I can crawl under the car with a crawler!
This answers a question I've been meaning to ask about the Rhino Ramps. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I made a pair of large ramps with 2 x 12 lumber, but it's difficult changing a tire using them.
Don't forget you can rotate tires with the stock jack by temporarily putting the spare tire in the rotation. It's a little extra work, but not a big deal.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Don't forget you can rotate tires with the stock jack by temporarily putting the spare tire in the rotation. It's a little extra work, but not a big deal.
If it was a 1964 Fit, and it had a real spare, I might do that. I used to use the spare in the rotation, but moving them front to back and vice versa is simpler.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
If it was a 1964 Fit, and it had a real spare, I might do that. I used to use the spare in the rotation, but moving them front to back and vice versa is simpler.
he wasn't saying to use the spare in actual driving, but to use it as a placeholder in that wheel position to allow you to rotate the tires.

as in, jack one corner up, remove wheel, put spare on, put car on ground, move to other end, jack up, swap wheel with rotated wheel, put back on ground, then go back to corner with spare on it, jack up and swap with other wheel.

WAY TOO MUCH WORK... get a better jack, jack it up on the front jack point, stick a jack stand under the front suspension, rip off bother wheels and remount. easy peasy.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
of course… if you have a jackstand or other support. There's no reason you can't use the temporarily installed donut for the latter.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
he wasn't saying to use the spare in actual driving, but to use it as a placeholder in that wheel position to allow you to rotate the tires.

as in, jack one corner up, remove wheel, put spare on, put car on ground, move to other end, jack up, swap wheel with rotated wheel, put back on ground, then go back to corner with spare on it, jack up and swap with other wheel.

WAY TOO MUCH WORK... get a better jack, jack it up on the front jack point, stick a jack stand under the front suspension, rip off bother wheels and remount. easy peasy.
Yes - way too much work using the spare like that. As for the front jacking point, is there one? That would be nice. I could get all four wheels off the ground at the same time.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
That would be nice. I could get all four wheels off the ground at the same time.
Since jacking on the side behind the front wheel lifts both wheels off the ground on that side, you should be able to use a second jack and lift the other side's two wheels off the ground at the same time, too.

Right? RIGHT???

es

Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
Since jacking on the side behind the front wheel lifts both wheels off the ground on that side, you should be able to use a second jack and lift the other side's two wheels off the ground at the same time, too.

Right? RIGHT???

es
Sure. That'll work.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
I have access to a lift, so all this is academic for me.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Nice. Yeah pretty expensive so another choice would be the Rhino ramps that you can get anywhere for around $40 a set. The Rhino ramps are high enough that I can crawl under the car with a crawler! I also use wheel chocks in the rear for added safety.

I never had an issue with these ramps
I have a pair of ramps that are the same height and angle of the Rhino ramps, and I can't use them on either of my small cars. In addition, they are a bear to climb since they will scoot and have such a high degree climb. My advice is to watch some videos on various ramps, and consider the vehicle.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
I took my ramps out today to see if it'll clear the bumper ok. Only issue I see is the rubber lip hitting it but once the car gets on the ramp should be ok.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128805...h/15235309323/

I think I need to check the air in my tires. lol

Last edited by DArkk; 11-22-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Jack Stands