3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Baffled by Honda Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Baffled by Honda Link

Hi all.. I just purchased a 2015 Fit EX 6 speed (in purty yellow color) 2 days ago. So far I really, really, really like the car. The only thing that is bugging me is the whole Honda Link setup, and I'm hoping some folks can give me some information before I spend money on the iPhone HDMI cables.

I'm having a hard time getting specific information as to what exactly Honda Link does and does not support. The reviews of the various Honda Link apps on the App Store are *terrible* and don't sound like they are worth bothering with.

The Honda website and owners manual mention "Supported 3rd party apps" but I've yet to find a list of what these apps are. I just downloaded the Honda Link Launcher app which I thought was supposed to be the application to tell me about supported 3rd party apps, but all it shows is the normal Honda Link Apps.

The dealership told me that I could plug in an HDMI cable and mirror my phone to the screen.. Is that true? For example, if I buy the cable can I use Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze on my phone and have it show up on the car's screen?

I guess I'm just really confused as to what Honda Link is meant to do.. If it is only for the Honda Link apps then it seems incredibly pointless.. Especially considering the ball of cables you would have to have in order to get it to work combined with the incredibly poor reviews of the available apps.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snorkel
Hi all.. I just purchased a 2015 Fit EX 6 speed (in purty yellow color) 2 days ago. So far I really, really, really like the car. The only thing that is bugging me is the whole Honda Link setup, and I'm hoping some folks can give me some information before I spend money on the iPhone HDMI cables.

I'm having a hard time getting specific information as to what exactly Honda Link does and does not support. The reviews of the various Honda Link apps on the App Store are *terrible* and don't sound like they are worth bothering with.

The Honda website and owners manual mention "Supported 3rd party apps" but I've yet to find a list of what these apps are. I just downloaded the Honda Link Launcher app which I thought was supposed to be the application to tell me about supported 3rd party apps, but all it shows is the normal Honda Link Apps.

The dealership told me that I could plug in an HDMI cable and mirror my phone to the screen.. Is that true? For example, if I buy the cable can I use Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze on my phone and have it show up on the car's screen?

I guess I'm just really confused as to what Honda Link is meant to do.. If it is only for the Honda Link apps then it seems incredibly pointless.. Especially considering the ball of cables you would have to have in order to get it to work combined with the incredibly poor reviews of the available apps.

Yes, but only when the car is in park.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lane03
Yes, but only when the car is in park.
... Seriously? So...... Am I correct that Honda Link is completely and totally useless? Or am I just missing something?

I know a lot of cars can be modified to remove the restriction preventing the screen from being used while the car is in motion. Any chance this is possible with the Fit?

Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
... Seriously? So...... Am I correct that Honda Link is completely and totally useless? Or am I just missing something?

I know a lot of cars can be modified to remove the restriction preventing the screen from being used while the car is in motion. Any chance this is possible with the Fit?

Someone found an adapter from China that looked like it would work. They were going to order it to test it out and report back. Can't find the link for it though.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Someone found an adapter from China that looked like it would work. They were going to order it to test it out and report back. Can't find the link for it though.
Thanks for the info. If nothing else it saves me from spending money on the HDMI adapter. Doesn't sound like it is worth it at all.

Pretty big bummer. Kicking myself for not looking into it further before purchasing. I took the dealership at their word.

Guess it is time to buy a decent iPhone holder for the car.. maybe one that sticks on that useless 7" screen.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ible-hack.html

Here was the adapter I was talking about earlier: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...e-driving.html

Last edited by Lane03; 12-02-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks Lane. I don't know that I'm adventurous enough to be the first person to try this, but will definitely be watching the forums to see if anyone else gives it a go.

So what about these "3rd party apps" that Honda Link supposedly supports. do any actually exist or is Honda lying to us?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
I believe apps like "aha" are third party even though the app is listed by Honda in the app store. Third parties can develop apps for HondaLink but I'm sure it requires some level of Honda approval. But yes, there are very few apps at this time.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I believe apps like "aha" are third party even though the app is listed by Honda in the app store. Third parties can develop apps for HondaLink but I'm sure it requires some level of Honda approval. But yes, there are very few apps at this time.
Ah, I see. So are these apps as bad as the reviews suggest?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
So I actually bought the navigation app, and I already had a hdmi adapter... Its okay, its not great. Its good for basic navigation and not having to look down at your phone....

Being able to use the screen for some basic navigation is a huge plus in my book. But dont look for the advanced features like traffic....

Was it worth the cost... eh maybe.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by prettyhatem
So I actually bought the navigation app, and I already had a hdmi adapter... Its okay, its not great. Its good for basic navigation and not having to look down at your phone....

Being able to use the screen for some basic navigation is a huge plus in my book. But dont look for the advanced features like traffic....

Was it worth the cost... eh maybe.
I'd be willing to pay $60 for the ability to use one of the plethora of already existing and quite good navigation apps available for the iPhone. Paying $60 for what seems to be a 3rd rate navigation app just seems silly. I will just continue to use my phone as a GPS unit. Only problem is that there is really no good place to sit a phone on the Fit. For something with with all of this Smartphone integration it is quite odd that they didn't give you a smartphone sized cubby within easy reach. Gonna have to buy some sort of mount/holder.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prettyhatem

Being able to use the screen for some basic navigation is a huge plus in my book.
I ponied for the Nav app before I made my recent ~2,000 mile trip –*I simply didn't want to be squinting at my iPhone sitting down in the cupholder…

"Adequate, barely" is how I would describe the Honda app. As I only needed to see the map with spoken turn-by-turn directions, it worked out fine for my needs. I did have problems with the signal being wonky (tried two HDMI cables and had the same issue with both) - wiggling the cable usually corrected it.

The other issue was that the app would get confused if I shut the car off but left the phone plugged in. Sometimes it would not correctly reconnect with the car, and trying to pull up the nav app would give me a black screen with only the clock displayed. I actually had to restart the phone to clear it up.

CarPlay can't get here fast enough…

es

Old 12-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Angry Here's a mounting idea

Snorkel, you asked about a place to mount a Smartphone in the 2015 Fit. I have the EX-L and here’s what I use. It’s a Mountek MT5000 Hands Free Car Mount for Apple iPhone, Android phones, and GPS. It is designed to fit in the CD slot, but I found the locking screw blocks and the cables block the LCD screen. Since the mount has “fingers” that separate as you tighten the locking screw, I found a better place to mount it is in the left central air vent. I found it fits best in the second louver (from the top).
You have to be careful NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN the locking screw, but I found that the vent planes seem pretty solid, and so far I haven’t seen any damage or issues. The mount is very solid and well-made and will accommodate a variety of devices including my Galaxy S4 and a GPS unit. It also rotates. While not perfect, it seems to work pretty well. I agree that Honda should have provided a shelf or some place to store a mobile phone.

Last edited by FitIam; 12-24-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Insert images
Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Is the Aha app intended to work via bluetooth with an Android phone? I can play music from the app on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S3, but the app refuses to connect. I've assumed it probably needs to be plugged in or an Apple device to work, neither of which I will be likely to do.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM
android and hondalink/aha

i have a new 2015 ex and a samsung galaxy s5.

the ONLY thing that doesn't work is hondalink & AHA. all BT functions are fine.

[this is not a big deal as all the AHA functions are duplicated on the phone with other 3rd party apps, so podcasts and such are available].

i called honda re the inability to connect hondalink/aha and they were not helpful.

i would LOVE to have a goog map solution for this 7"screen...i have not tried hdmi, but maybe that would do it.

i'd like to be able to look to this forum, perhaps this thread, for accurate info on full integration of androis and these functions.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
To summarize other threads, you have gotten as far as you can with an Android phone with the 2015 in-car entertainment system. Unless Honda ever offers some kind of software upgrade, it is what it is.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 PM
thanks, that's what i suspected

Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 AM
Hondalink review

found great review of honda link

I am more interested now. However, he said that he understands the next version of ios will allow video out on usb, therefore negating the need for an hdmi adapter in the future version of ios. I am waiting for the next version of ios because messing with the hdmi is annoying.

This guy really likes the hondalink.

Last edited by troyinpdx; 01-19-2015 at 04:21 AM. Reason: adding link I originally intended to add
Old 01-19-2015, 04:28 AM
Hi all..

Old 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Does it compatible with Android phones. We have android phones only in our home. No Apple stuff.
Thanks