3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

slow speed driving stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 PM
slow speed driving stumble?

If I shift between 1500 - 2500ish I get a stumble or hesitation. She has done this since new. Worse when it's cold. I was hoping putting a few miles on her would clear it up. 1500 miles later and still missing. I have tried regular and premium made no difference. Drive it past 3k rpms and no stumble? No CEL. I took it to dealer and guest what? Ya you know what they said "it drives normal" So I had the mechanic go for a test ride with me and he admitted "it only does it a little" WTF! What more do I have to say? So I will take it back next week and mechanic was going to call honda on it. So anyone else having a similar issue?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, there are threads on this issue. The torque and hp screenshots in the bisimoto thread show the power dip at two points below 3k. I have a 6 speed LX, notice the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
No, I don't have this problem.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by 8strung
Yes, there are threads on this issue. The torque and hp screenshots in the bisimoto thread show the power dip at two points below 3k. I have a 6 speed LX, notice the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.
Where? What thread? thks.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
i assume you have a 6mt? i do, and i have a slight stumble as well. did it since the car was new. it only does it when it is cold, and goes away comepletely after the car warms up and makes heat.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
i assume you have a 6mt? i do, and i have a slight stumble as well. did it since the car was new. it only does it when it is cold, and goes away comepletely after the car warms up and makes heat.
Yes. 6mt. Thks for the reply. I find it odd these motors do this and don't think it's suppose to. Maybe a mapping issue? I notice mine doing it even when warm just not as severe. I found lowering tire pressure helps so I can get a better sense if it's road bumps or motor bucking. 26 front 20 rear.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I think its just the small motor effect. Lots of my old small displacement hondas have has similar hesitations. Try reving out your gears a little farther before you shift. Keep the engine in its power band.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Apexracing
I think its just the small motor effect. Lots of my old small displacement hondas have has similar hesitations. Try reving out your gears a little farther before you shift. Keep the engine in its power band.
I will have to disagree. Yes revving it out and it doesn't do it but that doesn't make it ok if it does it at lower rpm's! That's like saying it's ok if it misses at idle but she still screams! Not acceptable on a brand new car! Especially a honda! I also have 2 early 90's civic's with 300k and neither one of them have this issue! This being a new design I wonder if any of the previous models have similar issue?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
I will have to disagree. Yes revving it out and it doesn't do it but that doesn't make it ok if it does it at lower rpm's! That's like saying it's ok if it misses at idle but she still screams! Not acceptable on a brand new car! Especially a honda! I also have 2 early 90's civic's with 300k and neither one of them have this issue! This being a new design I wonder if any of the previous models have similar issue?

Mine does not miss, but if you shift soon and try to drive through a really low rpm early in the next gear it will hesitate before the engine picks up the power band again. My 2007 fit sport was the same way. Our 2008 civic sedan the same. Throttle by wire is also a little laggy since the technology was introduced by honda. Not as smooth as cable throttle.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Mine does not miss, but if you shift soon and try to drive through a really low rpm early in the next gear it will hesitate before the engine picks up the power band again. My 2007 fit sport was the same way. Our 2008 civic sedan the same. Throttle by wire is also a little laggy since the technology was introduced by honda. Not as smooth as cable throttle.
Thks for reply. It just doesn't seem right for it to do this on a new car? I will still push the issue with dealer.

Wait what are you saying? You say yours doesn't miss but your 07 fit and 08 civic do??? I'm confused? So which car doesn't miss?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Thks for reply. It just doesn't seem right for it to do this on a new car? I will still push the issue with dealer.

Wait what are you saying? You say yours doesn't miss but your 07 fit and 08 civic do??? I'm confused? So which car doesn't miss?
Non of them miss, just some hesitation while accelerating from shifting at a lower rpm. The fits power band seems to be between 3,000/4,000 rpms.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Non of them miss, just some hesitation while accelerating from shifting at a lower rpm. The fits power band seems to be between 3,000/4,000 rpms.
True. Not missing. Just erratic throttle response/hesitation. I'm not sure why more people haven't made an issue about it to honda? This is how things get fixed.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:16 PM
True. Not missing. Just erratic throttle response/hesitation. I'm not sure why more people haven't made an issue about it to honda? This is how things get fixed.
Because i'm not worried about it. Shift a little higher in the power band and it accelerates just fine.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe a mapping issue?
it is 100% a mapping issue. but, it is a non problem, because within a few minutes, it is gone. at least on my car. i have had 3 sets of tires on my fit so far, and it has done it with all of them.

i usually notice it when i fire up the car at 6:30 am, and take off immediately. about a mile down the road is a hill that i usually take in third gear when the car is cold. seems to hesitate at nearly the same spot every morning i do this. again, non issue, car runs fine the rest of the time.

Last edited by rodney; 12-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
it is 100% a mapping issue. but, it is a non problem, because within a few minutes, it is gone. at least on my car. i have had 3 sets of tires on my fit so far, and it has done it with all of them.

i usually notice it when i fire up the car at 6:30 am, and take off immediately. about a mile down the road is a hill that i usually take in third gear when the car is cold. seems to hesitate at nearly the same spot every morning i do this. again, non issue, car runs fine the rest of the time.
Not sure I understand the logic here. We understand there is an issue with this but not willing to deal with honda to fix it? This is how and why the dealer will fix issues if customers return them to fix it. My 15 fit stumbles when its warm also. But I can't be the only one? With this issue or who takes it in for repair!

Old 12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure I understand the logic here.
it is simple. your car does it when it is warm, so you most likely have a different issue than me.

i have had the car down for multiple weeks at multiple dealers for a real problem, so a stumble when the car is cold is a non issue for me, in the real world.

besides, this will be tough to show the dealer. do i drop the car off overnight, get a ride home, get a ride back to the dealer in the morning then take him for a ride in the morning only to have it not do it, or the dealer says they cannot reproduce the problem? sounds like a colossal waste of time.

if it gets worse, i will say something for sure. till then, it is perfectly fine.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Mine does this while warm also, judging from bisimotos torque readout they all should.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by 8strung
Mine does this while warm also, judging from bisimotos torque readout they all should.
Not sure that torque readout is accurate. That's why I asked for a readout from idle.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM
I've had my 6MT Fit for 2 months now, put 2500km's on it and I only noticed this issue at the start.

My girlfriends brother has a '90 civic manual transmission, and has 350 000 km's on it and he mentioned that HONDAS ARE MEANT TO BE DRIVEN AT HIGHER RPM's. His car is still kickin' and doesn't show signs of breaking down anytime soon.

So I began to shift at 3000RPM instead of 1500-2000; and there is absolutely no "stumble" or "hesitation" for me anymore.

The only time it's not a smooth shift is when I'm not engaging the gas pedal while releasing the clutch at the right moment.

I agree with Apexracing, the Fit's power band is between 3-4000RPM.

Last edited by Tway; 12-22-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: slow speed driving stumble?