3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

TRMS light is on

Old 12-27-2014, 01:39 AM
TRMS light is on

Now I m sadly stuck in San Francisco For the Chrismas holiday, me and my wife decide to have a trip from Las Vegas to Yosemite and then to SF by our 2-month-old 2015 fit EX (about 1000miles on it). When we just arrived Bakersfield (280miles, 4 and half hour), where we had about 20 min break, the TRMS light was on. We went to Costco and filled the tire to 36pi ( I called my dealer, they said it's 36, now I know is 33pi).we turned the alarm light off and kept going. After staying at Yosemite one day, we went to SF. But, again, in the middle of the trip, the light was on! We stopped by a gas station and filled the air to 36 then finally arrived SF. We parked the car at hotel. Today, before we left , we went to Costco again, and they told us that the tire pressure should be 33/32pi and then they corrected the pressure. The most disappointed thing was after 20 miles drive, the light was on again! worrying about the safety,we had to stop and stay at hotel (now it's 10pm). Because I m new owner of the Fit with TPMS, I really don't kow what to do.The light turned on 3 times in 1000miles! Do I just ignore it and drive back to home and went to local dealer?It's almost 700miles! Can I find a dealer to check it at SF?
Please help and thanks.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
is it the same tire that keeps setting off the tpms light? you may have driven over a nail or something. i don't think u need to go to the dealer. tire is not warrantied for that kind of damage anyway. find a local tire place and have them inspect your tires. if it can be plugged, lucky you, 10-20 bucks. if it can't be plugged ull have to buy a new tire.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
is it the same tire that keeps setting off the tpms light? you may have driven over a nail or something. i don't think u need to go to the dealer. tire is not warrantied for that kind of damage anyway. find a local tire place and have them inspect your tires. if it can be plugged, lucky you, 10-20 bucks. if it can't be plugged ull have to buy a new tire.
Thanks for the reply. I do not know which tire, Because I just let them fill the air.
I checked the tire pressure by using a gauge, and 3 tires looks same, it's little more than 32pi, the front tire on driver side was about 31(the gauge just not show the position of32) I use flush light to check the tire sevrel round, I did not see any nail or damage. Right now, I just can not sleep!! Just want to know the reason!!

Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by tushenling
Thanks for the reply. I do not know which tire, Because I just let them fill the air.
I checked the tire pressure by using a gauge, and 3 tires looks same, it's little more than 32pi, the front tire on driver side was about 31(the gauge just not show the position of32) I use flush light to check the tire sevrel round, I did not see any nail or damage. Right now, I just can not sleep!! Just want to know the reason!!
The TRMS light was reported to be faulty on some GK owners in the forum. Just keep monitoring your tires with gauge. If the pressure on all tires are holding, there is nothing to be worry about. Don't just blindly trust the TRMS light. If you indeed have flat tires, you will know by parking the car overnight.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 AM
My TRMS light comes on each time the outside temp goes from warm weather to colder weather. Warm expands the tires/colder weather contracts the tires.

OR...A nail that has been mentioned. What I would do at a gas station is fill all the tires to about 36 lbs each and drive on to see if 1) the light goes out 2) if light comes back on while driving or over night, take it in to see if you have a slow leak around the valves.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
If it is keeping you from sleeping, just take it to any Honda dealer and ask them to fix it. If, in the process, they find a nail, then you will need to pay for the plug. Don't let it keep you awake!

Driving without enough rest can be more dangerous than a slow leaking tire.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Now I m sadly stuck in San Francisco For the Chrismas holiday, me and my wife decide to have a trip from Las Vegas to Yosemite and then to SF by our 2-month-old 2015 fit EX (about 1000miles on it). When we just arrived Bakersfield (280miles, 4 and half hour), where we had about 20 min break, the TRMS light was on. We went to Costco and filled the tire to 36pi ( I called my dealer, they said it's 36, now I know is 33pi).we turned the alarm light off and kept going. After staying at Yosemite one day, we went to SF. But, again, in the middle of the trip, the light was on! We stopped by a gas station and filled the air to 36 then finally arrived SF. We parked the car at hotel. Today, before we left , we went to Costco again, and they told us that the tire pressure should be 33/32pi and then they corrected the pressure. The most disappointed thing was after 20 miles drive, the light was on again! worrying about the safety,we had to stop and stay at hotel (now it's 10pm). Because I m new owner of the Fit with TPMS, I really don't kow what to do.The light turned on 3 times in 1000miles! Do I just ignore it and drive back to home and went to local dealer?It's almost 700miles! Can I find a dealer to check it at SF?
Please help and thanks.
Hey tushenling: Whenever your Fit's tire pressure was adjusted, did you do the TPMS relearn procedure? (Hold the TPMS reset light hidden but just below the Econ and VSA button for 2 or 3 seconds for the low tire light to flash, then drive off) This MUST be done anytime tire pressure is adjusted or when tires are rotated... further more, you can actually check to see if the system did finish its relearn procedure. If you were to park the car and monitor the low tire light, and see it occasionally blip (I forget the time interval, 15 to 30 seconds maybe) then the relearn is not complete. If you stop and it doesn't show at all, the the procedure is complete... usually after driving a mile or two all the way to 15 to 20 miles depending on car/situation.

In addition to that, for more accurate results adjust the tire pressure to the 33/32 PSI spec when they are cold after sitting at least 4 to 5 hours. If the tires are warm from recent driving then go 2 to 3 PSI higher to compensate for the warmer air.

Originally Posted by noneterry
The TRMS light was reported to be faulty on some GK owners in the forum. Just keep monitoring your tires with gauge. If the pressure on all tires are holding, there is nothing to be worry about. Don't just blindly trust the TRMS light. If you indeed have flat tires, you will know by parking the car overnight.
Where are you getting this info from? I've yet to see ANY complaints regarding the new TPMS system other than initial setup/relearn other than the user not being fully acquainted with it.

I do agree with you on making a regular log of the tire pressures to rule out either a tire puncture or system fault by the way. I'd suggest starting with the tire pressure AT factory spec with YOUR tire pressure gauge, relearn the TPMS, and log it... do your usual routine then at the end of the day, check pressure and log the results again. Unless you are seeing a wide swing in climate and elevation change (which is likely from your trip) then tire pressure should stay pretty consistent for about a month or so if garaged, a couple of weeks if parked outside (at least from what I see in my area).

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 AM
You have to use the button to reset it every time you check the tire pressure or add air. It will not reset itself, I learned that when I took the car out to the dealer and had them look at the sagging wheel liners and for some reason they decided to check the tire pressure and I didn't know freaked me out when they didn't reset it and the light popped on

Old 12-27-2014, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
This is my third Honda with TPMS and would have been nice if it tells me which tire is having low pressure as opposed to "guess" which one. Most of the time I can figure it out but still it would have been nice to know.

It's interesting Honda put in a "manual" recal button every time the tires are either refilled with air or rotated. Found out 2015 Fit actually uses ABS sensors to monitor the differences of wheel revolutions instead of actual tire pressure (PSI). Definitely cost savings there as we don't have to deal with TPMS hardware in the tires or pay for TPMS rebuild kit every time a new tire is installed. Also this would mess up every time difference size tires are installed so yeah we have to manually recal every time.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Please help and thanks.
those suspecting a slow leak I think are right. Check for a nail in the tie. If its in the middle section its esily repaired with a plug without even dismounting the tire from the wheel. if not its new tire time. While the sticker may say 32 psig or any other its not an absolute number. just a starting point. most Fits run with 36 psi and thats what we would have recommended too.The TMPS sensor is fixed I relieve at abut 25 psi so if you have a drop from 33/36 in two days with legitimite measuring you need to check the air stem, including its screw in valve seat as well as a 'nail' in the iddle secton of the tread. then new tire time.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:12 PM
After driving my car about 1000 miles I filled my tires to 36 psi. My trms light has never come on while driving. OR maybe I don't recognize it. Car drives fine so I won't worry about light. I have the Firestone tires. Bill

Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 AM
Thank you guys for the help. I just found that I made mistake in the re-learn of the TRMS. After check all the tires, I did not found any nail or damage on the tires. So I went back to read the manual carefully, and then found I did not do the re-learn process right. When reset the TRMS, I put the car on position III(start the engine), but the manual said it should be position II (which is without depressing break,push the stat/stop button two times). I reset the TRMS and drive 700mils back to home and the light did not turn on! I hope nobody make this same mistake like me :(
So far, the performance of Fit was excellent! Its very stable on highway (60-80 miles) and mountain road!!
Thanks for all the replies, all you guys are so kindly.