3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual vs CVT...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tommycrx
Though I do enjoy the pseudoscience being discussed here.

If slushboxers just admitted their main justification, that they're lazy, this discussion would be much more educational.

if you are old enough to have used real slushboxes, like the GM hydramatics, you have a point but today's automatics with 5 to 9 'gears' shift much faster than you or anyone can match. the dayof the manual have come and gone. in 10 years no car wuill have a true manual for that reason.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I sense the sarcasm but sometimes humor is close to the truth.

Multi-gear transmissions are designed to keep the engine close to its RPM of highest efficiency or power. The problem is that when you are shifting the engine isn't driving the car at all, an efficiency of zero. The more you have to shift, the lower the "duty cycle" of the drivetrain and the worse efficiency gets. There is always a compromise between flexibility of ratios and frequency of shifting.

With the broad powerbands of modern engines, a 6-speed has become the "but this one goes to 11!" icon of wannabe racers. One might be needed if the top speed of the car warranted it, but in an econobox that won't hit 120 the extra gear is just there for bragging rights. The Fit would be just as good with five

the manual Fit needs sixth gear in order to hold down rpm at cruising, a 15% drop would be great. and like Vettes and other performance cars thats all theydo either. they won't reach top speed in the uppermost gear and acceleration is a bit dull (requiring downshifts) but mpg and comfort really shine. a Fit benefits the same way.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Any help on when to use down shifting (+ shift).
I'm not sure on shifting. I have gotten so used to just pumping the gas pedal whenever I need extra power, it has become 2nd nature. Perhaps I'll make a video of it. Seems pretty instant and the power is NICE!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 PM
let me start with i feel strongly for manual.

i love the control, the superiority over zombie automatics.
the ability to *take* the lane i need.

when I'm to old to drive i'll hop in an automatic. and then i'll love automatics for totally different reasons.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 PM
where do i get a 6 gear box and how much for the cheapest one thats still worthwhile. i hate the high rpms in 5th gear

Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm a manual guy too. The CVT in the Fit isn't bad as far as CVTs go, but I wouldn't buy one. Even a great CVT is no substitute for a manual for fun. That said, I'm a hardcore manuals-only guy and I understand that different people have different priorities. But I'm teaching my girlfriend to drive this car so that hopefully we won't ever need an auto in the family!

Last edited by jetto-setto; 04-19-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by space egg
where do i get a 6 gear box and how much for the cheapest one thats still worthwhile. i hate the high rpms in 5th gear
The 6th gear only drops the RPM's in the 2015 by about 300 revolutions. For some this is not enough. I think the engineers did the right thing. You are still over 3,000 RPM when going fast (above legal limits), but that is all by design, and it works.

My favorite part is I climb 1,000+ vertical highway feet every day in about 7 miles and my Gen3 Fit can hold 6th gear in the manual on that grade and it actually feels good. Because you are above 3,000 RPM.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I enjoy driving immensely. Don't be upset because I can eat a bag of chips and talk of the phone and beat you while you are banging away at the gears. There's no enjoyment in that.
Herein lies one of the biggest problems I have with automatics. Being able to eat and talk on the phone while you should be paying attention to driving is not an advantage, it's a distraction. Also, it sounds like you enjoy chips and phone calls more than driving.

I remember a few years back I saw a question on some government driving quiz thing to the effect of, "which of the following are distractions when driving?", and a manual transmission was listed as a correct answer. I was disgusted. Shifting is driving. Only having to get in and press on the "GO" button frees up room for a hell of a lot more distractions.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jetto-setto
Herein lies one of the biggest problems I have with automatics. Being able to eat and talk on the phone while you should be paying attention to driving is not an advantage, it's a distraction. Also, it sounds like you enjoy chips and phone calls more than driving.

I remember a few years back I saw a question on some government driving quiz thing to the effect of, "which of the following are distractions when driving?", and a manual transmission was listed as a correct answer. I was disgusted. Shifting is driving. Only having to get in and press on the "GO" button frees up room for a hell of a lot more distractions.
He's an American.

There's probably nothing he enjoys more than eating chips.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
I can eat a hamburger and shift M/T. Like a big messy Carl's burger. Americans gonna 'merica regardless of transmission.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
if you are old enough to have used real slushboxes, like the GM hydramatics, you have a point but today's automatics with 5 to 9 'gears' shift much faster than you or anyone can match. the dayof the manual have come and gone. in 10 years no car wuill have a true manual for that reason.
Well except me, I'll still be driving my '15 manual in 10 years

Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Redd
Well except me, I'll still be driving my '15 manual in 10 years
Good man.

If manuals go away, I guess I'll drive old cars for the rest of my life. The only time I'd buy an automatic is strictly for transportation and only if I already own another car with an MT for driving enjoyment.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by jetto-setto
Good man.

If manuals go away, I guess I'll drive old cars for the rest of my life. The only time I'd buy an automatic is strictly for transportation and only if I already own another car with an MT for driving enjoyment.
Having a wife that likes manuals helps keep it around longer too. She's actually had more manuals than me!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by space egg

the problem is the fit engine doesn't have enough torque at lesser rpm to make a larger rpm drop to 5th or 6th gear. It simply won't have enough power to maintain speed. in order to have more gears /larger rpm drop between gears more torque is needed. if the fit had 2.4 liter engines it would be able to have more gears/larger gear drops. and maybe better mpg on highway.
here's a good example: the latest elantra 2.0 with 173 hp gets 34 mph overall here with one of our customers and is faster 60 to 100 by far than the fit so it gets along with 6 gears nicely. makes me itch, an hyundai getting better mpg than my fit. honda, surely ito didn't set us back that much did he? where is my civic Si with DSG ? the acura has it, why not honda?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
the problem is the fit engine doesn't have enough torque at lesser rpm to make a larger rpm drop to 5th or 6th gear. It simply won't have enough power to maintain speed. in order to have more gears /larger rpm drop between gears more torque is needed. if the fit had 2.4 liter engines it would be able to have more gears/larger gear drops. and maybe better mpg on highway.
here's a good example: the latest elantra 2.0 with 173 hp gets 34 mph overall here with one of our customers and is faster 60 to 100 by far than the fit so it gets along with 6 gears nicely. makes me itch, an hyundai getting better mpg than my fit. honda, surely ito didn't set us back that much did he? where is my civic Si with DSG ? the acura has it, why not honda?
I'd be ticked if ny Fit only got 34 MPG.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Your customer driving your Fit would more than likely get better MPGs than you and I seriously doubt you would get 34 MPG in an Elantra.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Here in PH we (still?) got the L15z engine with only 5 gears for the M/T. I swear that it is in need of a 6th gear that could coast on a lower rpm. Doing 100km/h on 5th does around 3.2k rpm.

Or maybe just a taller 5th so it could coast at around 2k rpm @ 100km/h.

But yeah comparing to the GE A/T Fits, 5th gear of the GK still gives more speed compared to before.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by fxwebdesigner
The 6th gear only drops the RPM's in the 2015 by about 300 revolutions.
The ratios are exactly the same and the increase in tire width is compensated by a reduction in aspect ratio. The cruising RPM is the same as the 2013.

For some this is not enough. I think the engineers did the right thing. You are still over 3,000 RPM when going fast (above legal limits), but that is all by design, and it works.
Odd that the "by design" cruise RPM is so much lower with the CVT than the manual. Apparently there is no magic to 3000+RPM in the engineers' eyes.

My favorite part is I climb 1,000+ vertical highway feet every day in about 7 miles and my Gen3 Fit can hold 6th gear in the manual on that grade and it actually feels good. Because you are above 3,000 RPM.
Some might interpret this as being happy with a too-short top gear in order to avoid the effort of a downshift on grades. Isn't avoidance of shifting the reason why some say "lazy drivers" buy "slushboxes?"

Old 04-22-2015, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
He's an American.

There's probably nothing he enjoys more than eating chips.
Well...it's been said that my Fit is, 'All that and a bag of chips'. I'll take it to go.

BTW: The Fit CVT has 7 gears. I see this in the Ktuner datalog. I'm not sure where people are getting that the CVT has 5 gears. If I'm mistaken, I apologize but I'm seeing seven gears in the logs. 'L' gear makes the car hella fun. I have all the benefits of the throttle response and low gearing without the headaches of shifting gears. I mean, while having fun, why would I want to be losing power in between because I have to shift a gear?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-22-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual vs CVT...?