3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dog owners: what products are you using to protect your interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Question Dog owners: what products are you using to protect your interior?

Hi. I'm a new '15 owner with a long-haired dog that is a swimmer and tends to stay wet and muddy throughout the spring and summer.

I'd love to hear your recommendations on what products you've used to protect your Fit's interior, specifically:

- Fabric protection: In reading the manual I didn't see any mention of the fabric having been pre-treated, nor any recommendations of products to use or avoid for protecting the fabric surfaces. I plan to spray the door and console fabric and especially the headliner with Scotchguard or a similar product to protect from mud and water to the extent possible. What fabric protection products should I consider (or avoid)?

- Cargo liner OR cargo tray: what brand offers the best coverage of the 2nd row with the seats down along with the cargo area in terms of fit, coverage and durability?

- Mats: WeatherTech? Other brand? What offers the best coverage and protection from water and mud?

- Seat covers: As much as I don't like them, I'm also considering covers for the front seats and possibly the 2nd row. Recommendations?

I have looked for previous threads addressing these questions for the 2015 and haven't found them yet, so I apologize in advance if this post is redundant. If you know of a link where these products have been discussed, please feel free to post it in response.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. I need to start buying all these items before swimming/dock diving season starts for the dog.

Best,
Alesa

Old 01-05-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm searching for the same thing. I'm considering the CanvasBack liner, but it doesn't cover the sides.

Honda:Fit<BR>2015

Old 01-05-2015, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say about this. I purchased the Husky floor liners for front seats & back seats. I like them :-) We're expecting a dog sometime this year... so I'd like to get the car prepped

Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Honda neoprene seat covers for the rear seats, and I have WeatherTech front floor mats. For a big, long-haired, wet dog, I would prefer a large tarp-like covering.

We have small dogs, and they have never been in either of our cars, yet we have dog hairs in both of them. When you have dogs, you have to accept their shedding hair. I now use a Sears shop vac to pre-vacuum the floors in my house because the regular vacuum kept getting clogged with dog hair. The shop vac gets most of the hair, so the regular vacuum can deal with what remains.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Here's a fresh thread re: the new Weathertech cargo mat for the 2015. Some of you might find this helpful.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1285579

Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Our Fit came with Weathertech floor mats and cargo tray. I just added the OEM cargo liner and cover today. I put the cargo liner in, then the tray over that. We have 2 dogs, one is a German Shepard, the other a Black mut, our german looses hair like crazy! I actually have banned her from the car for now, but she will end up in it sooner or later. So that's why I went with the stuff.

The OEM cargo liner is ok, that's about it. It's 3 piece, velcros on the side carpet. It fits ok at best. I would rather have had a 1 piece design for more protection. I do like that it unfolds out over the deck bumper to protect it as well.

The cargo tray is nice, heavy plastic. Will be nice for hauling anything, but I will remove it when the dogs are in the car so they can lay down flat. That's one of the main reasons we ended up with the Fit over the Ford, Nissan, Chevy, the back seats don'tlay flat!!

I'll see if I can get some pic posted so you can see the fit and coverage for yourself. I'd buy it again, but if I could find better I'd go with better.....

Chris

Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
As far as upkeep goes, buy something like this: http://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html
It'll pull the hair out of fabric nicely and make vacuuming a heck of a lot easier. I find that it's more gentle on the carpets than straight vacuuming.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
As far as upkeep goes, buy something like this: Rubber Pet Brush
It'll pull the hair out of fabric nicely and make vacuuming a heck of a lot easier. I find that it's more gentle on the carpets than straight vacuuming.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I have one of the canvas "hammocks" from Petsmart, that attach to both the front and rear head rests. Its worked well for keeping the dog hair and drool off the floor and seats. I also have a short leash looped around the seat latch and one of the seat belt connectors. She still drools on the door and puts her nose and tongue all over the window. But that's a lot easier to clean up than trying to get doghair out of everything.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by patm95
These are what I use in my '09 Fit. Would probably work with the new Fits I would imagine.
That hammock is a strange looking thing, but it should keep the hair off the seat.