3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is FLAT towing a 2015 CVT with engine idleing safe for engine/drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by DaBinChe
OP:
Looks like you are dead set on towing a cvt while idling anyways so go ahead and do it. Why even idle it...just leave it in neutral without the engine running. Any ways you are in a Class B which is basically a dodge/mercedes sprinter size why even have a car for it ain't that big. Get a scooter and a moto rack on the hitch and be done with it.
Do you have a technical reason that you can justify why towing a CVT while idling would damage the drivetrain ?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Class B
Do you have a technical reason that you can justify why towing a CVT while idling would damage the drivetrain ?
What I's saying is why even have the engine idling, just leave it in neutral with the engine off. If it is in neutral then the engine is not engage to the drive so why have it on? If the engine ain't running then it ain't gonna get hot.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Honda says you shouldn't flat tow the CVT equipped Fit. Honda would, I think, know the limitations of their transmissions better than an RV dealer (who is, of course, probably more interested in selling you an RV than in the long-term preservation of your car).

Towing with the engine running and the transmission in neutral would be little different from coasting in neutral. It is doubtful, however, that you would (or should) coast for more than a rather short distance in neutral; indeed in at least some states this is illegal. Honda would not be designing the car for long-distance coasting, any more than they would design the horn or windshield washer pump for continuous operation over several minutes or hours.

If you want to tow the car, use a dolly or trailer, or get one with a manual transmission. If a dolly seems expensive for the few times you'd use it, why not just drive the two vehicles separately?

By the way, I have never heard of people flat towing vehicles with the engine idling previously. It's certainly not an especially common approach, your RV dealer's claim notwithstanding. I can think of several potential problems: you toast your transmission if you should run out of gas in the car or have the engine stall for some reason. You aren't around to react to any mechanical problems. You might run into complications if you are using the Fit's brake and turn signal lights while towing it (as opposed to, say, external magnetic ones). Simply stated, even if it works, it's not a good idea. And frankly, by the time you've bought and installed the tow bar and associated hardware and lights and some auxiliary brake system for the car (which, if not legally required, ought to be present for safety's sake), you've spent about what you would pay for a dolly with surge brakes.

(By a "Class B trailer," do you mean a class B motorhome, i.e. a van conversion? A van conversion is not a trailer. If you're actually looking at a trailer of some sort pulled by another vehicle, be aware that double-towing is not legal in a good many many states, or requires a special license. As I understand it, one of the main advantages of a class B, vs. a larger class A or C, is that you don't have so much need for a toad since the RV itself is smaller and more maneuverable and can fit in most normal parking spaces.)

Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Honda says you shouldn't flat tow the CVT equipped Fit.
In the manual, Honda does not specify if towing a CVT with engine idling will damage the engine/transmission. Do you understand the engine/drivetrain enough to explain either way? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 AM
What I's saying is why even have the engine idling, just leave it in neutral with the engine off. If it is in neutral then the engine is not engage to the drive so why have it on? If the engine ain't running then it ain't gonna get hot.
In the manual, Honda does not specify if towing a CVT with engine idling will damage the engine/transmission. Do you understand the engine/drivetrain enough to explain either way? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
yeah but if the car is in neutral then why have the engine on??? just as the other person said coasting down hill in neutral with motor off is no different then coasting downhill with engine idling and in neutral. Once in neutral the engine is not enaged to the drive so it doesn't matter if it is off or idling. So why have it idling to begin with? What is the point of having the motor on if it is not going to be doing any work? If it is no running then it won't get hot.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 AM
jhn
This is a joke. You've got to be trolling.

You keep saying that thing about coasting in neutral down a hill over and over. How is this the same as flat towing a car with the engine idling in neutral? Do you coast in neutral down 2 hour hills?

If you can't figure it out on your own, it's because the car is in neutral while moving for a long duration. I don't believe this process will sufficiently lubricate the CVT belt. If you will be flat towing your car for 30 seconds to a minute, then go for it.

If you just want to keep convincing yourself that flat towing a vehicle while idling for 50-300 miles is the same as coasting in neutral down a hill (which might be illegal as it is) Then go for it.

I wouldn't do it because I don't think it's the same. But since you convinced yourself it's exactly the same, give it a go and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited by jhn; 01-18-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member

Old 01-18-2015, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
This is a joke. You've got to be trolling.

You keep saying that thing about coasting in neutral down a hill over and over. How is this the same as flat towing a car with the engine idling in neutral? Do you coast in neutral down 2 hour hills?

If you can't figure it out on your own, it's because the car is in neutral while moving for a long duration. I don't believe this process will sufficiently lubricate the CVT belt. If you will be flat towing your car for 30 seconds to a minute, then go for it.

If you just want to keep convincing yourself that flat towing a vehicle while idling for 50-300 miles is the same as coasting in neutral down a hill (which might be illegal as it is) for what, a minute? two minutes max? Then go for it.

I wouldn't do it because I don't think it's the same. But since you convinced yourself it's exactly the same, give it a go and let us know how it works out for you.
Do you understand the Honda 2015 CVT engine/drivetrain enough to detail your rationale? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Can we get a mod in here to close this thread because its clearly going nowhere, just like the OPs Fit after he fries the tranny?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 AM
jhn
Do you understand the Honda 2015 CVT engine/drivetrain enough to detail your rationale? Thanks.
Hhhmmmm, Maybe I do, but then.....

MAYBE I DON'T!

Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
Can we get a mod in here to close this thread because its clearly going nowhere, just like the OPs Fit after he fries the tranny?
Please do not reply if you do not understand the 2015 CVT engine/tranmission and if it will cause damage if towed while engine is idling. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:39 AM
jhn
Please do not reply if you do not understand the 2015 CVT engine/tranmission and if it will cause damage if towed while engine is idling. Thanks.
Please contact Honda for more information. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
Please contact Honda for more information. Thanks.

Good luck, OP.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
You haven't explain the point of leaving it idling while towing??? What good does that do? What is the point of that? You're only wearing out the motor and caking it up with carbon for leaving it idle for so long. Idling for long periods of time is very hard on the motor, much more so then cruising and revving at freeway speed limit. Idling is only good when the motor cold and you need to warm it up once warmed up leaving it idling becomes hard on it. Honda used to have two maintenance schedule one was normal driving condition and one was severe driving condition. Sever condition required maintenance twice as often as normal. Leaving it idle for so long puts it in the sever condition.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 AM
You haven't explain the point of leaving it idling while towing??? What good does that do? What is the point of that? You're only wearing out the motor and caking it up with carbon for leaving it idle for so long. Idling for long periods of time is very hard on the motor, much more so then cruising and revving at freeway speed limit. Idling is only good when the motor cold and you need to warm it up once warmed up leaving it idling becomes hard on it. Honda used to have two maintenance schedule one was normal driving condition and one was severe driving condition. Sever condition required maintenance twice as often as normal. Leaving it idle for so long puts it in the sever condition.
I'd like to know if the 2015 CVT can be towed while engine is idling w/o causing damage to the engine/drivetrain. If you have a technical, mechanics level understanding, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:08 AM
jhn
I'd like to know if the 2015 CVT can be towed while engine is idling w/o causing damage to the engine/drivetrain. If you have a technical, mechanics level understanding, please let me know. Thanks.
Must...Resist...Posting...AAAAHHHHHHHHH

Have you contacted Honda and asked them this question? Why do you think towing it with the engine running would be different than towing it with it off?

Last edited by jhn; 01-18-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Theoretically, idling the engine would run the transmission pump (necessary for lubrication, the reason Honda says to not flat tow). The electric radiator fans will provide engine cooling. IMHO "theoretically" you should be OK.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
It appears that you've already made up your mind.

A number of people here have expressed that we don't think its a good idea. You persist that an RV salesman says its ok, so it must be ok. I have to wonder why you asked us about this in the first place if you are going to listen to him more than to us.
+1. andre worded it correctly.

towing a running car is not a good decision for myriad of reasons.i still think a lack of airflow to the front of the car being towed will be detrimental in regard to engine/transmission heat management, but it is not my car, do what you wish...

Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Any reason why of not getting the MT Fit instead?

Quick Reply: Is FLAT towing a 2015 CVT with engine idleing safe for engine/drivetrain?