3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
wind noise

I really am enjoying my Fit but at highway speeds there is wind noise coming from the right side of the windshield.

Is this common?

Can this wind noise be eliminated...how?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hard to tell since wind direction varies so much. Do you still get the noise from that area when it is not a windy day?

May be best to have your dealer look at it to be sure all is put together right in that area.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Had the same issue and found it in two different places on mine. First was the rubber weather seal on the passenger front door was pulled slightly out of place. Second was the passenger side rear window - the rubber inside the window channel at the top back of the channel. When the window would roll up into it the rubber would get pinched and pushed back somewhat and would not seal properly. Had to "unpinch" it with a small screwdriver and let it sit and remold itself to the window. Stopped the wind noise. Had to have my wife chauffeur me around a bit to finally narrow it down. Drove me nuts until I found it. Not sure if this is the case with yours but worth checking.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
It seems that ANY noise we hear in our new car is related to the level of noise we experienced in our former car.

My new Honda Fit seems as quiet as the grave when compared to the entire bunch of Subarus I previously owned -- none of which displayed any tendency to keep its exhaust system intact.

In the Fit, I have to really put my mind to it in order to hear the CVT whine, the road noises, or the wind.

When I can hear what the radio is playing, I have no complaints about car noises. Had my previous car been a German-made luxury sedan, I might have a different opinion about noise from the Honda Fit.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by morgantruce
It seems that ANY noise we hear in our new car is related to the level of noise we experienced in our former car.

My new Honda Fit seems as quiet as the grave when compared to the entire bunch of Subarus I previously owned -- none of which displayed any tendency to keep its exhaust system intact.

In the Fit, I have to really put my mind to it in order to hear the CVT whine, the road noises, or the wind.

When I can hear what the radio is playing, I have no complaints about car noises. Had my previous car been a German-made luxury sedan, I might have a different opinion about noise from the Honda Fit.
Your Subarus probably had front door window gussets to let wind get in too, our '03 Forester did.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Has anyone come up with a solution for the booming in your ears (over pressurization/ under pressurization) with the windows /moon roof open ? I've tried every combination I can think of to solve the problem! Any suggestions welcome.
Love the little car --hate the noise- dog needs window down/open.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by stanvett
Has anyone come up with a solution for the booming in your ears (over pressurization/ under pressurization) with the windows /moon roof open ? I've tried every combination I can think of to solve the problem! Any suggestions welcome.
Love the little car --hate the noise- dog needs window down/open.
Open two windows, even if it's just a little bit, too much pressure in the cabin due to hatchback design.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stanvett
dog needs window down/open.

Here's a solution for that fresh air lovin' dog.... AND this method already has the endorsement of a major political candidate:

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dave92029
....am enjoying my Fit but at highway speeds there is wind noise coming.....Is this common? ........Can this wind noise be eliminated.......
Its a sub-compact, so all of us GK owners "get what we pay for".
May I recommend you explore sound-deadening.
I did, and it has done wonders. Cruising at 80 mph (when I can do those short bursts in my locality) is a vast improvement from stock. Barely no wind noise, tire roar and the doors now "thud" instead of "tinning" when closing.
Down-side is the added weight. In my case, an add'l 100 lbs. and that did affect my MPG (about 2mpg less).

Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I got EX CVT recently. I hear sound something like wind keep slapping on front window at higher speeds 40mph+. It is very windy in TX though.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
I hear sound something like wind keep slapping on front window at higher speeds 40mph+.

This is how Honda encourages you to keep it under 40 mph.
  • It helps Honda claim higher fuel economy.
  • You'll get fewer speeding tickets.
  • You'll have more time to look at the nice Texas scenery.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:03 AM
This is how Honda encourages you to keep it under 40 mph.
  • It helps Honda claim higher fuel economy.
  • You'll get fewer speeding tickets.
  • You'll have more time to look at the nice Texas scenery.
According to the blokes on Top Gear, it's also the leading cause of road rage in other drivers.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
According to the blokes on Top Gear, it's also the leading cause of road rage in other drivers.
Yes, but without all that wind noise, you'll be able to hear them screaming at you... no more wondering about the verbal communication which usually accompanied the visual flip-off.

------------

I'd be willing to bet that the 2018 Honda Fit will be as quiet as a mouse. The Honda engineers who read this forum every day will be paying attention to all of you who tear apart your new cars in various attempts at muffling road and wind noise. The additional cost on those new vehicles will likely be under $25 --- and you will not even notice it, because it will be thrown in along with the new standard:
  • sumptuously padded arm rests
  • roof rack
  • Class II trailer hitch
  • mini-fridge
  • shower
  • new 3 liter engine with gets 90 MPG (city)
  • choice of interior color schemes
  • pipe organ
  • orange rear turn signal lights
  • Self-Driving (You don't even need to go along... just send your car out to pick up a six-pack and pizza)

Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
I got EX CVT recently. I hear sound something like wind keep slapping on front window at higher speeds 40mph+. It is very windy in TX though.
I have the exact same problem. I opened my front windows just a little bit to see if it will get rid of the wind noise, but instead, I hear different wind noise. So I think the wind noise is not coming from the front windows. May be from the windshield or other place.

BTW, did any one went to the dealer and have it resolved?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Check your "Fresh air/Recycle air" lever. Make sure it is pushed all the way left, or all the way to the right. That was the source of noise on my friend's GD3.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Check your "Fresh air/Recycle air" lever. Make sure it is pushed all the way left, or all the way to the right. That was the source of noise on my friend's GD3.
Thanks for your suggestion. I double checked and I always have my lever on "Fresh air" especially on rainy days like this weekend. It didn't help. I will keep hunting for the cause of the terrible wind nose.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 AM
I have the same problem. I just posted a new thread. I'll paste it here for you:

2015 Honda Fit - At highway speeds I get a loud Wind Noise coming from the top of the font windshield on the passenger side. Even more annoying is that the dealer says there is no abnormal sound. To which I say, if it is normal then why is it only from one side?

I'm aware that a Honda Fit is not a luxury car, and I expect general wind noise. But not from a specific place and not at this level. Not when it sounds like a window is cracked open. This is unacceptable for a 2015 Brand New car.

Also, the windshield itself Rattles! So does the Driver's side window when partially down. And when all the way down, it makes a Crackling Sound. As if it is under pressure. Maybe the other windows do as well and I just don't hear it.

Finally, the Engine's noise is very loud. Even in idle!

I've only had the car for a couple of months, l hope I am not going to be faced with more problems down the road.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave92029
I really am enjoying my Fit but at highway speeds there is wind noise coming from the right side of the windshield.

Is this common?

Can this wind noise be eliminated...how?

Thanks
its not uncommon for cars to not have complete sealing around windshields. I suggest you run a line of tape across the top of the windshield to body seam and see if the sound disappears. if it does the seal is incomplete and the dealer under warranty will have to remove the windshield and replace it properly. Tape over the seam not in it.
ass for loud engine, compared to what / under what circumstances ?
Is the insulation missing from the hood ? firewall ?
was your fit manufactured in mexico ?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a solution for that fresh air lovin' dog.... AND this method already has the endorsement of a major political candidate:

how did you get hillary to endorse that ? are you one of her 'little' people ?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 AM
tju
windshield rattles?

Originally Posted by Rafi
I have the same problem. I just posted a new thread. I'll paste it here for you:

2015 Honda Fit - At highway speeds I get a loud Wind Noise coming from the top of the font windshield on the passenger side. Even more annoying is that the dealer says there is no abnormal sound. To which I say, if it is normal then why is it only from one side?

I'm aware that a Honda Fit is not a luxury car, and I expect general wind noise. But not from a specific place and not at this level. Not when it sounds like a window is cracked open. This is unacceptable for a 2015 Brand New car.

Also, the windshield itself Rattles! So does the Driver's side window when partially down. And when all the way down, it makes a Crackling Sound. As if it is under pressure. Maybe the other windows do as well and I just don't hear it.

Finally, the Engine's noise is very loud. Even in idle!

I've only had the car for a couple of months, l hope I am not going to be faced with more problems down the road.

My windshield does not rattle, my windows do not make any sound when partly down. I bought the least expensive stock lx mt fit, and have not experienced any of those issues, and neither should you. Demand satisfaction from your dealer or if possible, from another dealer. From what I've read here there is a great variation in the quality of Honda dealers... FWIW the things you describe if accurate, are not normal for this car.

Quick Reply: wind noise