3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GK Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Wide open spaces

Originally Posted by Scott Wyman
Well, I stopped and got gas on my way to work this morning. While I was pumping gas I was think about all the cool mods I could do to my Fit.
Well Scott Wyman, it sounds like a very open perspective on your Fit mods may reflect your Texas environment! Have you included all-weather floor and cargo area mats yet? I would suggest that many people have been pleased at making that their #1 add-on. Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Installed and wired up selectable color rear cargo lighting.

Installed my new custom plates.

Last edited by ToddF; 05-26-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Installed some interior accessories!

I just installed the cargo tray and cargo cover to my 2016 Aegean Blue Fit! Now I have some comfort knowing my cargo area is blocked from prying eyes! Tomorrow I'll receive the wind deflectors and some touch up paint for a minor scratch caused by highway debris.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Great thought

Originally Posted by Fitster C.
Well Scott Wyman, it sounds like a very open perspective on your Fit mods may reflect your Texas environment! Have you included all-weather floor and cargo area mats yet? I would suggest that many people have been pleased at making that their #1 add-on. Enjoy the ride!

I don't really need all-weather mats because we mostly have hot and hotter here, but thanks for the cargo mat idea. I want something that will roll out when the back seats are laid down. Any thoughts other than a roll of rubber?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
I don't really need all-weather mats because we mostly have hot and hotter here, but thanks for the cargo mat idea. I want something that will roll out when the back seats are laid down. Any thoughts other than a roll of rubber?

Ha!! You live in Cove, Guess you must not have gotten all the rain the rest of us have.LOL Good luck on finding something already made your best bet will be to make something. Ever see this Fit running around I live outside Killeen.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:41 PM
I Have Seen That Fit!

Originally Posted by Jagged1
Ha!! You live in Cove, Guess you must not have gotten all the rain the rest of us have.LOL Good luck on finding something already made your best bet will be to make something. Ever see this Fit running around I live outside Killeen.

I've seen the car, but I don't recognize the driver 😄. Yeah, we've had the rain, but this year has been the exception. If it's like this again this fall ill look into the all-weather mats. I'll keep my eyes open for your Fit and give a wave when I see it. I have a purple 2015 Fit, not sure how many of those are around though.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Been towing with my Honda Fit for about a year-and-a-half. Unfortunately in the beginning the 5 by 8 trailer that I have did not hitch the ball to the receiver correctly and the trailer pushed forward on a hard braking even. None of the underneath skeleton was damaged but the bumper cover was destroyed. Normally if you have a receiver that drops the ball to a lower height this isn't much of a big deal it will simply hit the back of the ball mount. Being that the Honda Fit sit so low to the ground you need to use a riser, mine is a 4 inch. As a result if the ball was to pop out of the receiver it would go straight into the back bumper or worse. So I had a friend of mine who owns a body shop repaint me a new bumper and then as insurance installed a back plate from Tow Ready. That way the plate will protect my bumper from being slammed by the trailer tongue. A bit of a costly mistake but now I have learned.

Cheers!

I use touch up paint to hide the damage but it looked terrible

Plate installed. With Monroe air shocks at 50psi, height from ground is 14 inches

It sticks out slightly but I dont mind. It clears the rear hatch no problem.

1-1/4" receiver and 7 way round, 4, and 5 way flat connector combo.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 05-29-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Other People's Ideas

Hi Scott, I have kept a blue 6X8 foot tarp (stores handily in the tire compartment) for lining the back whenever necessary. Another Fit freak suggested the use of a common moving blanket to protect against potentially jaggedy things, and that has proven useful for trips to home depot. As for the floor mats, regardless of precip, keep in mind that Honda took "the economy route" on the floor carpeting, and several comments regarding inordinate wear have been posted. With red Georgia clay, I have been very happy to be able to pull out the floor mats and give them a scrub, protecting the condition and appearance of the floor carpeting against all manner of dust, dirt and debris. Otherwise, comparisons with "rat fur" floor covering has been deemed appropriate by others.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I had to look it up, but gymkhana seems to be a bit different from straight autocross:

"What separates gymkhana from traditional autocross events is that the gymkhana requires drivers to perform reversals, 180 degree spins, 360 degree spins, parking boxes, figure 8s, and other advanced skills. Drifting is also encouraged where helpful or necessary."

es
Interesting. I don't remember 360° spins in my MG Midget, at least not on purpose.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Tarp? Why Didn't I Think of That

Originally Posted by Fitster C.
Hi Scott, I have kept a blue 6X8 foot tarp (stores handily in the tire compartment) for lining the back whenever necessary. Another Fit freak suggested the use of a common moving blanket to protect against potentially jaggedy things, and that has proven useful for trips to home depot. As for the floor mats, regardless of precip, keep in mind that Honda took "the economy route" on the floor carpeting, and several comments regarding inordinate wear have been posted. With red Georgia clay, I have been very happy to be able to pull out the floor mats and give them a scrub, protecting the condition and appearance of the floor carpeting against all manner of dust, dirt and debris. Otherwise, comparisons with "rat fur" floor covering has been deemed appropriate by others.
Great idea using a tarp. I just happen to have two if those left over from when I had my Ridgeline. I'll put one in the back today. You're probably right about the mats, I'll look into getting a set. Thanks for the assist.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced the alternator. Old one failed at only 55k miles, bearings sounded fine but it would not charge periodically. I think the regulator probably crapped out.

Drove it for a while before finding a really clean one at a junkyard with less than 10 miles on it. I'm thinking it was totaled on the lot. Swapped it out and it worked great, no more warning lights and the battery is charging just fine.

I also bought some of those cool column lights for the rear, as well as new brake rotors & pads for the front. Went with EBC slotted rotors & Greenstuff pads. I brake pretty hard usually and warped the OE rotors pretty badly. Hopefully the slotted rotors will warp less. Will be sticking those in next weekend. Super excited!

Last edited by Kevin Evans; 05-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Built a subwoofer enclosure slung below a deck that acts as a cargo cover.

Any ideas for strengthening the cargo cover mounts to handle increased weight?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF

Until I read the description, I thought you were headed a different direction with this modification. Just needed a TP hanger.... haha...

Yes, that looks like a lot of weight for the side mounts. I'd be inclined to keep the mass lower and work up from the floor instead.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member

Whoops! I thought that was a PortaPotty.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member

How about some kind of "legs" running vertically from the top panel to the floor? That's going to be heavy with the woofer in there.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
How about some kind of "legs" running vertically from the top panel to the floor? That's going to be heavy with the woofer in there.
I built the box with the seats in the forward position specifically so I could run "legs" to the exposed portion of the seat latches. I haven't done that yet, because I wanted to see how the side supports would hold up. Using the existing supports is just so convenient.

I'm also considering using a gas spring or two to tilt the box up, like the hatch, for easier cargo access. Then, the weight would be carried primarily by the struts, with a latch to hold the box down in position.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Hopefully you've tested access to the spare. Would be a colossal pita to have to remove that in the event of a blowout.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Hopefully you've tested access to the spare. Would be a colossal pita to have to remove that in the event of a blowout.
It's easier to remove the box than to remove the spare. Especially once I add a couple handles. I'm waiting for those until the sub is installed so the balance is right.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Locate load bearing points

I'm no expert, but I went out to my Fit and flexed the shelf support, quickly coming to the conclusion that there are no load-bearing points in sight. Your enclosure is finely crafted, and probably requires some mass to achieve speaker resonance, so with that level of goal commitment, I would have to pull off the cargo area enclosure panels and see if there is accessible metal framework in which to anchor some horizontal support structures (e.g. custom brackets). I would try to design the horizontal supports to fit cleanly inside the existing cargo compartment cover shelf when the side panel and shelf are re-installed. I'd also look for "a second opinion" on this project LOL!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM
sideless seat cover

Installed a sideless seat cover to help protect the seat. Looks OK. Will see how long it lasts @ $19.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GK Fit today?