3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why Is It? (kind of a vent)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Why Is It? (kind of a vent)

I've had my Fit for 4+ months, and manages so far without any dings

I work in a large plant, lots of parking but very little near the building I work in (in the center of the plant). So parking is at a premium unless you hoof it a long ways. Because I get to work so early I manage to score one of five or six spots along a curb where no one can park next to me and use my Fit for a door stop!

So my question is - the rare times I'm in a mall or other large lot, and I park WAY out in the sticks to save my car, Why Is It that when I come back to the car I find that with an entire empty parking lot someone had the burning desire to park their SUV next to my Fit??? They haven't dinged me yet, but they're sure making me paranoid!

If you have an answer I'd love to hear it! Or if you need to vent about your paranoia, go for it!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
#1 explanation: Humans are pack animals and thought your Fit looked lonely.
#2 explanation: They are as protective of their SUV as you are of your Fit and figure you won't open your door into them either.
#3 explanation: Some people are just jerks. (my vote)

Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM
#4..They are employees and are instructed not to park near the front, which I have noticed when I park my Fit further away.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I believe people are out to get you!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Yes, it's definitely you.

No, it's random chance combined with local custom. I have a 12-year-old xB that has somehow avoided door dings. I don't park near obvious cretins like those who park their SUVs in "Compact" spaces but otherwise I don't worry about where I park.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
What I do hate is when I find a very open parking lot with plenty of spaces available I would park my car way out there and somebody had to park right next to mine. I was like..dude..wtf??

I dunno...I guess some peeps just had to be either annoying, a jerk or just annoying period.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Talking about that, I have had my Fit for about 3 months, and finally picked up a ding from a plaza parking lot! At least it lasted 3 months!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Talking about that, I have had my Fit for about 3 months, and finally picked up a ding from a plaza parking lot! At least it lasted 3 months!

Ugh! That would really bother me. You'd think that with as narrow as the Fit is you'd be less likely to get those annoying dings, but there are so many careless and/or apathetic drivers out there that it is sometimes just unavoidable.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Lucky you! I've had my fit for a little over year (bought it used its a second gen). I take super great care of the car and I'm paranoid to death about it getting dinged. The other day I was painting my rims and noticed someone backed into the front of my car... And took off. People are jerks, especially in my apartment complex. Kids throw basketballs at cars like they're hoops. That's one of the bigger reasons I haven't pulled the trigger in a new fit, people have no understanding of how hard you work to pay for your valuables or how hard you work to keep it looking nice.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM
I normally park near other cars since I use them as a guideline to see if I'm parking straight and not taking up like 3 spaces.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
On the other side of the coin, when I see someone with a new (or obviously overly-detailed) car intentionally taking up two spaces I get an urge to do something not nice to the car.

I'm an adult and I don't act upon it, but I do get the urge!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
On the other side of the coin, when I see someone with a new (or obviously overly-detailed) car intentionally taking up two spaces I get an urge to do something not nice to the car.

I'm an adult and I don't act upon it, but I do get the urge!
Buy yourself a wet erase marker. then you can leave them little notes without any damage to them.

I do paintless dent repair for a living so I both hate and love the people that cant park strait or hold there door.
I like to park next to other cars off by there lonesome in parking lots, I figure if they are parked out there to avoid damage then they wont hit my car and then only three sides of it are left exposed to other crazy people.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
I am not a Fit owner YET (I want the purple ex model) but I currently drive a Scion iQ and I will park miles away to not get dings. Never fails I have a large truck/SUV parked next to me. Usually obstructing my view of my car completely. I always think "yep, your gas guzzler IS bigger than my car. Good for you." It's the whole "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. Idiots. Bigger isn't always better.