3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Increased vibration after starting in cold weather: Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
Question Increased vibration after starting in cold weather: Normal?

Here's another concern about cold weather starting (didn't want to hijack member Epic's other post which is slightly different).

Pardon my ignorance but I haven't owned a new car for some time and unsure of expectations.

Is it normal for the Fit to vibrate a bit more, that is, run a bit rough when idling when starting the engine in cold weather?

Seems the vibration which can be felt on the steering wheel is more noticeable in this condition (idle+cold).

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 AM
In cold weather, the engine will idle at a faster speed until it warms up. That in itself should not cause vibrations, but maybe your just feeling/hearing the engine more than usual because of that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks GB,
Strange thing is that once I start moving, the engine revs higher and the vibrations felt in the steering wheel seems to dissipate... until I stop and idle again.
It's not a great amount of vibration, but more compared to driving at low speed, hence the concern.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 AM
I would be a little concerned too and would definitely ask the dealer about it. Vibrations are always disconcerting.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
In winter I am happy if it is shaking and rattling. It is running!!!.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Sounds very typical of most cars to me. The engine needs to idle faster and richer when its cold (so it doesn't stall), and this can certainly cause a little more vibration. The valve train and other mechanical components have more slop, so the engine runs a bit more roughly. The shocks and engine mounts and other similar dampening materials also are likely a little firmer when they're cold, though I'm not sure that last bit makes a whole lot of difference.

Obviously, there are extremes of vibration that are bad. If your glasses are falling off of your nose then something is probably not right.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
My other car (Accord) also does the same. It runs at higher rpm for some time at the beginning. I will observe more closely with Fit.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 PM
IF you have a CVT this is probably normal. The engine will idle higher and the torque converter will be engaging against the brakes causing a vibration. Try putting the car in neutral/park and see if you still feel it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the exact same issue as the OP, but I also feel a light vibration when the weather and/or the car is cool/cold (I live in Houston, TX, so it's not real cold weather).

I don't feel it much on the steering wheel, but more under my feet. It's a light vibration, which makes me wonder if it's real or if it's just my imagination. Like the OP, I have not had a new car in a long time; however, I don't think that a light vibration should be there, especially in a brand new car.

Also, on a related note, I feel a very light vibration and hesitation from the transmission when I engage 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition, so is it my driving of the MT or is something amiss? This also happens more often when the weather is cool/cold.

For reference, I have an LX MT manufactured Oct 2014....VIN... FM737130...purchased 01-09-2015

Old 11-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Not to necro this thread, but im experiencing the exact same thing where the brakes and steering wheel will vibrate while applying brakes when the car is on drive or reverse

it doesnt happen when the car is in neutral or in park (even if i apply brakes nothing changes UNLESS in drive or reverse)

it also goes away as the car warms up (i live in warm weather so its quite quick)

has anyone figured out what this could be? I'm trying to find out myself and would SUPER appreciate it as i just got the car! 26k miles sport automatic

Old 11-30-2019, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
The idle speed is set high enough such that if you have the transmission in Drive and release the brake, the car will creep forward.

On a cold engine, the engine is fighting the brakes and the chassis. They are cold and creaky, and will make more noise and vibration when cold. This is normal.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
The idle speed is set high enough such that if you have the transmission in Drive and release the brake, the car will creep forward.

On a cold engine, the engine is fighting the brakes and the chassis. They are cold and creaky, and will make more noise and vibration when cold. This is normal.
and im assuming since the rpm is higher (to warm up faster) on a cold start, it only makes it 'worse'?

thank you for the help! You've put my mind at ease!

Old 12-12-2019, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
My 2016 and if I remember right my 2010 both have the low engine temperature indicator light.

I do not know if this is true. But it seems to me while this is illuminated (blue) and the engine is attempting to heat up, the engine always seems to be running "rougher" or like it has an automatic "choke" setting.
Again I don't know the actual mechanics of what is happening but Honda recommends NOT driving hard while the indicator is on, and when I drive, I can tell without looking when the indicator goes off, because the vehicle WILL suddenly run smoother.
I've never considered this a problem just the operation of the beast.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:22 PM
korgster, I have noticed when starting in first gear the rpms have to be a little higher because of the lack of horsepower that the engine has. I don't think it is a problem it is just the way it is.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by z0code0z
Not to necro this thread, but im experiencing the exact same thing where the brakes and steering wheel will vibrate while applying brakes when the car is on drive or reverse

it doesnt happen when the car is in neutral or in park (even if i apply brakes nothing changes UNLESS in drive or reverse)

it also goes away as the car warms up (i live in warm weather so its quite quick)

has anyone figured out what this could be? I'm trying to find out myself and would SUPER appreciate it as i just got the car! 26k miles sport automatic
mine does the exact same thing
some days i feel it more than others .

Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 AM
My 2019 LX has more NVH in cold weather startup. I've noticed that when the temps are below about 28-30 °F; startups are:
- engine idle RPM range is wider
- a few more stumbles from 0-5 sec after engine ignition
- I see some stumbling off idle in D

I typically wait only 10-15 seconds after starting the car to engage it in D (it's backed in and parked in the garage to drive straight out).

I'm sure that the engine ECM is operating in open loop (that is the engine starts with a richer mixture and a more retarded ignition) until the O2 sensor starts sending good data or 30-60 sec of programmed time has elapsed.