3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can a bike fit upright in a GK?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Question Can a bike fit upright in a GK?

Does anyone know if a bike can fit upright in a GK with one of the seatbacks folded down? Here is a picture of a GE with a 58" road bike placed upright (with the front wheel removed). Does the GK have enough space to do this?

http://oi38.tinypic.com/15mo7f8.jpg

Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by EMC2
Does anyone know if a bike can fit upright in a GK with one of the seatbacks folded down? Here is a picture of a GE with a 58" road bike placed upright (with the front wheel removed). Does the GK have enough space to do this?

Well, somebody was able to do it, but I tried and ended up laying it down. Fit that way. I saw another photo with one in the passenger area with the seat bottoms folded up.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member

You mean like this? Gotta love google

Last edited by bach; 02-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
One of the main reasons I got the Fit was to transport my bike (and at times my wife's too) inside. I haven't tried it standing upright yet but I'm assuming it will fit (that assumption is based only on what I've seen people fit into older models). Still waiting for it to warm up a little so I can confirm this. If anyone has already tried, I'd also be interested in knowing.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
It depends on how tall your seat is. I put 2 bikes in the center section as shown here, but had to remove both wheels and used a padded envelope to contain the dérailleur from becoming a mess on the carpet or opposite door.

I found that removing the seat was worse than the rear wheel, so I went this direction.

See the link for the pic:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1290132

Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM

I needed this new Fit to do this, and wouldn't have bought it if it couldn't. I built a mounting plate with 3 fork-mounts for the rear of the car. It will hold 2 road bikes or 1 MTN bike. I remove the front wheel and the saddle for each, although some bikes will not need the saddle removed.

I've posted some pics at Imgur to share:

2015 Honda FIt - Album on Imgur

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
No, I want to find out if the bike can be placed upright in a GK just like in the first picture, with only one of the seat backs down. I need to be able to transport the bike and still have 3 people in the car.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
No, I want to find out if the bike can be placed upright in a GK just like in the first picture, with only one of the seat backs down. I need to be able to transport the bike and still have 3 people in the car.
Dbhazz's pics do show that a road bike fits upright and still allows 3-4 people inside.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Oh, and dbhazz, that is a real sweet setup you have there. I can't wait to try my bikes. I'm still hoping for 2 upright bikes without removing the saddles.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Ah... So the bikes will fit if placed with the rear wheels first. So does that mean it won't fit with the rear wheels in the back? And also will it fit without having to remove the saddle?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Ah... So the bikes will fit if placed with the rear wheels first. So does that mean it won't fit with the rear wheels in the back? And also will it fit without having to remove the saddle?
I bought the Fit after seeing a couple of people in my bike club fit 2 bikes upright with the saddles in place and only removing the front tires. Back wheel in first but wedged a bit between the front seat and the door on each side. This was in both a 1st and 2nd gen fit. I hope I'm still able to do this in a GK. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot. It's supposed to be quite cold though, so we'll see.

Last edited by GoBucky; 02-13-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Oh, and dbhazz, that is a real sweet setup you have there. I can't wait to try my bikes. I'm still hoping for 2 upright bikes without removing the saddles.
Thanks
It was a fun project for me. I really don't want a roof rack on this car, and this lets me handle most of my needs for most of the year. For longer trips, and with multiple bikes (e.g. road and mtn.), I'll use a hitch-mount rack which is why i got a trailer hitch installed.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by dbhazz
Thanks
It was a fun project for me. I really don't want a roof rack on this car, and this lets me handle most of my needs for most of the year. For longer trips, and with multiple bikes (e.g. road and mtn.), I'll use a hitch-mount rack which is why i got a trailer hitch installed.
I agree, the roof rack method not only kills your mpg's, but offers no protection for your bikes (from either weather, drive-thrus or the "bad" people). What did you attach your fork mounts to (what is that black material that seems custom fitted)?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
I lay my Gary Fisher Utopia 29'er on it's side with the seats folded flat on an old blanket if muddy. Passenger front seat has to be moved slightly forward. My bike is to long and tall for magic seat placement like one posters picture. Still have to remove the front wheel. It is locked inside and I feel safer when at a restaurant or store while Fit is unattended. Sorry no pictures. Could do 2 bikes that way if separated by old blanket or something to protect the bikes,and interior.

PaFitter

Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 PM
My bike is too big to fit in sideways as well, it barely fits in the cargo area. I am 6 foot 300lbs so my bike is as big as I am lol.

Does anyone know of a good roof rack for a GK?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rifleman_Racing
...Does anyone know of a good roof rack for a GK?
I think a lot of people are opting for the rear rack option by installing a receiver. I think i would go this route if I wanted to haul more than 2 inside.

Rear rack
  • Pro
  • Eliminates touch points of paint and stress on roof
  • Keeps lower center of gravity
  • Eliminates damage to bikes and garage if you forget they are up there
  • Lots more racks available to choose from
  • Might be less drag
  • Con
  • Wider footprint rolling down the road
  • Takes a deeper parking spot - with the short Fit, probably not a huge concern

With a top rack, most people leave them on because of the hassle factor and then suffer reduced mileage. With the rear rack, you can just unhook the rack pretty quickly in one operation and set it aside.

I'm sure people that have used both can expand on this...

Just found this PRO/CON list that might help too:
Bike Rack information - Thule, Yakima, Saris, Sportrack, prorack, and RockyMount

Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Can't one simply lay the seats flat and then lay the bike on top (instead of standing up)? I will likely get a fit - if I do not get an HRV when they are released - and want to haul my regular sized bike...and not have to take off the front wheel.
Also, isn't there more room in a FIT that does NOT have a moon roof? I test drove one of each and seem to remember their being more room on the ones without the moonroof.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:22 PM
jhn
I use a receiver rack, But I put my bike inside with the seats folded down sometimes too. I lay it flat instead of standing it.

I think a 58 traditional would fit in a fork mount with the wheel off. Might be tight if it's a 58 compact w/ jacked seat.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
I use a receiver rack, But I put my bike inside with the seats folded down sometimes too. I lay it flat instead of standing it.

I think a 58 traditional would fit in a fork mount with the wheel off. Might be tight if it's a 58 compact w/ jacked seat.

Sorry...don't understand the lingo.
What do you mean by a 'receiver rack'....'fork mount' (don't care so much here because I really would prefer not to take the wheel off)...'jacketed seat'?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 AM
jhn
Fork mount, where you remove the front wheel and clamp the fork into a mount. you would need to make a rack of some sort. 2 X 8 or something
with the fork mounts screwed into them. This is the only way I see a 58cm bike stand up in a Fit:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fork...w=1366&bih=633

Compact frames have a sloping top tube with higher (jacked up) seat post. Traditional frames are level top tube. a bigger frame with a high seat might hit the roof of the car and not be able to stand upright, even with the front wheel removed.

Receiver rack is a rack for a receiver hitch.

Last edited by jhn; 02-14-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a bike fit upright in a GK?