3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EX Rear Shock Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Is there any chance you could post photos of the old and new style bump stops when you have the new shocks installed?

I am wondering when Honda switched the design and how to tell which ones are installed in my car? I purchased car in January 2015.
When I look under the car the bumpstops are exposed and appear to be held in place by a round metal sleeve at the top of the bumpstop. there is also a plastic cylindrical tube attached to the bottom of the bumpstop that covers the shock shaft. This metal sleeve at the top prevent it from sliding down on the shock shaft. It is loose in the sleeve and I can spin it by hand. the bump stops are exposed to mud snow and road sand. I will try to get post photo.

The dealer that I took my car to was not aware of any problem or change in shock part numbers. I will call them and ask again

Thank for all the good information

Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by T596
Is there any chance you could post photos of the old and new style bump stops when you have the new shocks installed?

I am wondering when Honda switched the design and how to tell which ones are installed in my car? I purchased car in January 2015.
When I look under the car the bumpstops are exposed and appear to be held in place by a round metal sleeve at the top of the bumpstop. there is also a plastic cylindrical tube attached to the bottom of the bumpstop that covers the shock shaft. This metal sleeve at the top prevent it from sliding down on the shock shaft. It is loose in the sleeve and I can spin it by hand. the bump stops are exposed to mud snow and road sand. I will try to get post photo.

The dealer that I took my car to was not aware of any problem or change in shock part numbers. I will call them and ask again

Thank for all the good information
as far as improving the design I believe they are very similar, its just the new one has the shock absorber mounting urethane upper and the rr bump stop on the shock its self. The way it was sold before was each individual piece was seperate and sold seperate. Im thinking the Urethane upper bushing is what is causing the issue. I will examine each piece and the new unit as soon as it arrives and see exaclty what was improved. I should recieve the new unit this week.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Just FYI, the temp went from 10 to 26 degrees, I got the skis and stuff out of the back, raised the rear seat behind the driver, and tightened down the spare tire. No more clunk. Don't know if it's fixed or what fixed it, but no more clunk ;-)

Old 03-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by JAdams
Yes absolutely!

Original part number:
52611-t5r-a02

New part number:
52610-t5r-a02 (assembly)

The dealer needs to urgent order the parts and then upgrade them to CBO (critical back order) to get them fairly quick. Connecticut warehouse will receive a shipment of 40+ in the upcoming week.

Hope this helps!

I work with the CT warehouse you speak of. My dealer contact has that as his primary warehouse and other outlying warehouses out of state are 2ndary. My contact was aware of the design change and said it only affected a very small vin# range and expected that Honda would contact the owners about the change over for reliability concerns. It be a warranty item.

I have the newer bump stop design. I have a pre-edited video on youtube of me doing the initial research on replacing the back struts for Monroe Maxx Air shock/struts. Once the weather gets better I plan on doing the swap so I can better handle pulling a small utility trailer and compensating ride height.

Pictures can be found on my main thread, some initial pictures anyway. I'll release a full detailed video once the weather gets better.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ack-pearl.html

Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
The service manager from my dealer (Montreal) called me up today to follow up on the issue. He told me this is an issue they have seen on a few Fits and that Honda confirmed there is indeed an issue with the shock absorbers. He told me he could replace my shocks with the current (old) part number but that this probably wouldn't fix the issue.

I've decided to wait for the real fix (could be the new part number) but the service manager told me that Honda is still working on the issue and that they would contact me when a fix is available. I'll continue to regularly check up anyways.

At least someone has admitted that there is an issue with the shocks so I won't be playing around with the rear hatch anymore. The weather is much milder these days (-5 degrees) and I don't hear the noise much except for large speed bumps.

The noise really comes out when the temps are below -15 Celsius.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 AM
I have the same noise in my rear suspension. More noticeable on colder days.
I have an appointment Friday March 6th. I will print this thread and take it to Verneide Honda in Sioux City. I have a 15 fit ex manual.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
My EX-L has the same issue, only noticeable in cold temperatures (somewhere below freezing). I originally thought the noise was coming from the rear hatch until I discovered this thread.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM
struts

Originally Posted by bbhondaguy
I have the same noise in my rear suspension. More noticeable on colder days.
I have an appointment Friday March 6th. I will print this thread and take it to Verneide Honda in Sioux City. I have a 15 fit ex manual.

March 6th update....
Dealer is ordering new struts for my car. With the new part number:
52610-t5r-a02 (assembly) , not the old strut part number.

Last edited by bbhondaguy; 03-10-2015 at 02:44 AM. Reason: date
Old 03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Mar 07 update

I was able to reproduce the noise with the technician in the back seat on the test drive. The noise is most often coming from the left rear strut but also from the right rear sometimes. The dealer has ordered a damper mount and rubber bumper stop for the left side only (I think). They said the 'rubber bumper/stop LR was defective/seperated'. I'm assuming LR means left rear but one of the parts ordered is RR (insert doubt here and save tying two letters)

The part numbers ordered were:
Rubber bumper stop 52722-T5R-A01
Damper mt comp RR 52670-T5R-A01

It sounds like this will eventually result in strut replacements and the weather is beginning to warm up so it may be hard to reproduce until the system wears in. I'll have the car for a while and I'm sure I can count on winter returning I'll keep following this thread and add new info as the car ages.

Great forum, thanks to all for their contributions.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I had the same problem start in the left rear about a month after I purchased mine on Jan. 11th. I brought it in to Silko with a printout of the first page of this thread as I thought the part number might help out. Well they took it in , I showed them the print out and about an hour later I'm all set. Invoice states "2394 Removed drivers side interior cargo panel and re-torqued the drivers side rear shock absorber to spec. Test drove vehicle and verified there is no longer a clunking noise coming from the rear anymore." After a day of driving maybe 50-60 miles there is no noise. I'll keep you all posted should things change.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Hey murc640, Can you provide the name of the Dealership and Manager in a PM. My Dealership here in Mississauga is not aware of any problem. I gave them a copy of this thread before I brought the car to them. They ordered 2 parts (a mount and a bumper) for the left rear, but I pretty confident that both left and right are making the noise depending on road conditions. Maybe my manager needs to hear it from yours

My dealer says the US TSBs, etc. and different than the Canadian ones. I understand that there are two corporations (Honda America and Honda Canada, but given that all the cars are made in Mexico.... it's only a matter of time before the Canadian corp will get the word that there is a problem.

As it stands now, I'm going to be making several visits to the dealer while I educate them on this issue.

Last edited by kc750; 03-09-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added murc640 and corp info
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Murc640, could you let me know what dealership you go to, and who you deal with? I am in Montreal as well and am experiencing the same issue - my dealer claims he has no idea what it is and I feel like I am getting the run around. The sound is very noticeable - a loud clunking on both sides of the rear suspension - and Honda Canada is denying it's a more widespread problem. My dealer is unwilling to read this thread as he claims that he has to disgnose each problem as it comes, without relying on internet comments (!). My dealer has heard the clunking noise and acknowledges it, but doesn't know what's causing it. He claims that the "only part in the back of a Honda Fit" are the shocks, there's nothing else because it is such an uncomplicated car," so it must be the shocks.

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed in Honda - this is obviously a widespread issue and they are not acknowledging the problems with the 2015 Fit.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Is this on the manual model EX's only or CVT as well? I have an EX CVT and I've noticed a "thunk" noise at some points, like when going over potholes or speed bumps. It doesn't seem metallic as some of you have described though, just a thunk noise coming from the rear. I don't have anything in the cargo/trunk area so I don't think it's that. Do you think this is the same thing as you're describing?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Mine is an LX CVT. The noise is a clunking noise coming from the rear shocks/suspension.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Smile rear shock noise

Originally Posted by fitted1
I have the same sound in mine and it drives me nuts! Please let me know what the dealer says. That would be great!
Im a mechanic at a Honda dealer, and own a 2015 fit ex. I had the same problems, cold weather enhanced the issue. Found out the rear shocks need to be replaced, and are currently on bk order for 4-8 weeks. I just got mine in today, and Honda does know the problem at hand. Don't let them fool you. It also falls under your 3-36 war issues. hope this helps

Last edited by mjmakofske; 03-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by mjmakofske
Im a mechanic at a Honda dealer, and own a 2015 fit ex. I had the same problems, cold weather enhanced the issue. Found out the rear shocks need to be replaced, and are currently on bk order for 4-8 weeks. I just got mine in today, and Honda does know the problem at hand. Don't let them fool you. It also falls under your 3-36 war issues. hope this helps

Thanks very much. My dealer has now ordered 2 parts numbered 52610-t5r-a02. I hope based on the above messages that these are the correct parts. However nobody is able to give me an estimate of when they will come in.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Good thread and info. I have not had any noise in the cold weather and current weather which is warming up. I'm swapping out my stock shocks for air shocks, I'll take a gander at the OEM's and see if there is anything amiss I could provide to the forum.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Honda says 4-8 weeks, but that was before they let the new release out, so maybe that was the reason for the big wait. Release date was 3-26-15 so it should be right along soon. Good luck

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Glad I'm not the only one!

15 Fit EX CVT with the harsh clunk whenever I go over "decent" bumps or potholes, and hits hard when I get onto most bridges- glad it isn't just the way it is because mine's done it since I drove it off the lot with 38 miles on it. seems way more severe on my passenger side though

I'll be bringing mine in tomorrow morning.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 PM
I work at a Honda dealer as well,

I have already had both my rear struts changed out and it is a night and day....but soon after they were changed I noticed the fronts just didn't seem right and didn't compare to the rears. Sooo I had the technician test drive it again and he came back and said the fronts def. were not right. So need less to say Ive now had all my struts replaced. Its perfect now............except the rear toe being completely off which can't be adjusted, so on to the next issue. lol still love my fit tho

Quick Reply: EX Rear Shock Noise