3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EX Rear Shock Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Question EX Rear Shock Noise

Picked up EX 6 spd a couple weeks ago. Car has loud metallic noise from rear shock area when car goes over dips or speed bump. Anybody experience this problem?

I have checked the lower rear shock bolts, removed spare tire and jack, added weight with no change in noise. the noise seems most pronounced first thing in the morning during cold weather.

I did notice the bump stops on the shocks can be moved up and down by hand about 1/16". I am not sure this is the problem because the loud noise seems to be more metallic.

The car now has 900 mi and has made the noise since I picked it up at the dealer. I have an appointment to have it checked out but was hoping to get some insight into whether other have had this problem.

other that this the car has been great, no interior fit problems, no paint issues. mileage around town is very good, not as good as I expected on the highway.

thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM
No noise in my ex.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I have the same sound in mine and it drives me nuts! Please let me know what the dealer says. That would be great!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I hear it too when I'm in my parking garage at work.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 AM
I have a 2015 LX and I have the same sound. I've had my car for about a month now and Its been doing this since the start. It's already been to the dealer but they could not confirm the noise and due to inclement weather they have re-scheduled for a month from now: I live in Montreal and its been -20 degrees Celsius most days and it seems the sound is more prominent the colder it is outside. I wonder if they know this...

Anyways, I asked someone to drive my car yesterday and I listened in the back. I think I may have found the problem and I think it's the rear hatch latch. Last night I sourrounded the latch ring with some electrical tape to thicken it up and went for a quick ride and I didnt hear the noise. The roads are pretty terrible here so I'll give it a good whirl today and report back if this really fixed it.

I've tried unscrewing the rubber bump stops as well but it didn't seem to help much either. Anyways, like I said, I'll report back if this fixed it and call up the dealership to tell them I found the source of the clunking sound.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 AM
I don't experience it my EX, but let us know what the dealer finds, if anything.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Hi guys. New Fit owner jumping in. I have had mine for 3 months . I noticed a similar noise from the rear end too. I checked the rear seats, the spare tire, the Jack accessory kit in the foam box, and everything was as it should be. Just got back from the dealership. They confirmed that I have a (1) defective rear shock and it needs to be replaced. The seal is blown. ETA for a replacement shock is 4-8 weeks!!!! Nice......

Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 AM
I was experiencing the same noises in the rear suspension. I took my fit in last week and they found my rear shocks were loose, which I thought was weird. So they re-torqued the shocks. I thought that was going to solve the problem...but it did not.

I brought the fit in again today, and took the service manager on a test drive. I should mention that I live in the city, with pot holes and uneven streets everywhere...so it would rattle every time I drove down my block...I couldn't take the annoying rattle anymore. Of course the streets around my dealership (in the burbs) are a lot smoother, but I was able to replicate the noise once or twice...it is a rattle noise above the thud of the suspension. I left the car there and they said they will look at it again.

Picked up the car this afternoon, they re-torqued the entire rear suspension and that seemed to work...no noise on my drive home. Sounds just like when I first brought the car home.

I guess only time will tell if the noise comes back...

Last edited by prosales1972; 02-27-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM
Glad its fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its an isolated incident and not more of a global issue.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Just returned form the dealer for the rear shock noise. I explained the situation and the steps I have taken to determine location of noise. The mechanic was not able to duplicate the noise and suggested it was just an accumulation of snow or ice. I explained this is not he case since the noise was there when I first picked up car from dealer. I really did not expect much from the dealer, they don't seem to interested in spending time on "nuisance issues".

The noise is most apparent on cold mornings, below 10 degrees. similar to the post from Canada. I am leaning towards the upper shock bushing not seated correctly or loose. I am planning on spending a little time when the weather warms up and going thru the rear suspension making sure all bolts are correctly torqued. I may also remove the top shock mounts and inspect the bushings.

I have heard the rear hatch noise others has mentioned the noise I hear is loud and metallic, so I do not believe it is the hatch.

When the car was at the dealer I also asked them about the clutch pedal squeak. They said unfortunately this is a common problem with Hondas. they put white lithium grease on pivot and said this would only eliminate the squeak temporarily. on my other Honda 2002 I have been using motorcycle chain spray lube with fairly good results.

Another issue I mentioned was a very slight bearing noise when the clutch is pushed in. my experience is that when the clutch pedal is in than the noise is in the transmission, possible input shaft bearing. I was told by the dealer that this noise is not uncommon for Fits and is not necessarily a problem.

I had them record all complaints so I have a copy if any of these issues become a future problem. I plan to monitor them to see if there are any changes, is so I will bring it up to the dealer again.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
I've got just over 4K on my 2015 EX and I am experiencing the same issue. I'm also noting that the ride feels much harsher in the cold weather we've been having these past few weeks here in the Toronto area. Since it seems to be weather related, I'm thinking I should have it test driven before the weather warms up. I'm leaning toward thinking its the rear strut seal since it was fine for the first 2K and has only started since the cold snap set in.
I'm going to print this thread and give it to the dealer as well in the hope that the will dig deeper the first time I bring it in.
Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Same issue here....1 week old 6spd ex and both rear struts are making noise.

I work at a Honda Dealer in the parts department and I looked into this issue and have contacted Honda as well. They discontinued the original strut part number and released an updated design. The new design has the bump stop and rubber bushing assembly built onto the strut instead of all separate pieces, they know of the issue... My car will be going into our service department to get both rear struts replaced with the updated design.

Should fix the issue... I hope!!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by JAdams
Same issue here....1 week old 6spd ex and both rear struts are making noise.

I work at a Honda Dealer in the parts department and I looked into this issue and have contacted Honda as well. They discontinued the original strut part number and released an updated design. The new design has the bump stop and rubber bushing assembly built onto the strut instead of all separate pieces, they know of the issue... My car will be going into our service department to get both rear struts replaced with the updated design.

Should fix the issue... I hope!!
Could you provide us with the original part number and the new part number?

I would like to bring this up next week when I call the dealer...

Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes absolutely!

Original part number:
52611-t5r-a02

New part number:
52610-t5r-a02 (assembly)

The dealer needs to urgent order the parts and then upgrade them to CBO (critical back order) to get them fairly quick. Connecticut warehouse will receive a shipment of 40+ in the upcoming week.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Re:EX Rear Shock Noise

Thanks for all the great info. I have an appointment with the dealer today to have the rear suspension checked. This information will hopefully help them correct the problem quickly.
I have to say, it's encouraging to know that there are still people willing to take a few minutes to help others solve a problem.
This forum ROCKS! I've been following along for a while now and purchased my 2015 in early October, taking delivery late in November.
Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by JAdams
Yes absolutely!

Original part number:
52611-t5r-a02

New part number:
52610-t5r-a02 (assembly)
I have experienced no such noise nor rattling with my rear shock struts, can I bring in my GK and demand for new struts replacement? Is this issue an official TSB?

Last edited by noneterry; 02-28-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by noneterry
I have experience no such noise nor rattling with my rear shock struts, can I bring in my GK and demand for new struts replacement? Is this issue an official TSB?
I don't have any of these noises, is this something you can just go in and ask them to do?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I don't have any of these noises, is this something you can just go in and ask them to do?
I'd imagine it'd be difficult to get a dealer to fix something that isn't causing any issues unless there's an open recall on it.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Really just noticed it this week on mine, 5 months and 7K miles. It sounds like the exhaust system banging, but it seems to be on the rear drivers side and the exhaust system is on the passenger side.
I need to remove all the odd items from the back of the car, make sure the spare tire is tight, etc. Per this thread I'll also check the hatch.
The roads around hear are really going to hell between the frost heaves and pot holes, that said, I need to hit something around 60mph to hear the clunk, and I can just see going to the dealer and they'd do a low speed run around the block - "can't duplicate the problem". I plan to monitor this thread, and print it out whenever I finally get to the dealer.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm happy to help, it's know prob at all.

If your car is not making the noise I wouldn't even bother, a dealer won't even bother unless it's a noticeable noise that's constant.

As for the TSB theres not one at the moment on this issue. I'm sure they had a few issues with a few cars and improved the design for possible further issues that may occure. Being in New England with all this snow frost heaves, and low temps doesn't help either lol

Quick Reply: EX Rear Shock Noise