Infotainment Software / CarPlay

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Infotainment Software / CarPlay

Does anybody know if the infotainment system on the 2015 EX and EX-L Fits runs QNX or if it's Microsoft? I'm hoping it's QNX so it can be upgraded to CarPlay once Honda makes it available... but if it's Microsoft I'm not sure if they would be able to switch to QNX on the same hardware or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Not sure but I'm really hoping for a CarPlay upgrade as I'm an avid iOS user.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
It's Windows Embedded. From what I can tell, Honda has no plans to upgrade existing vehicles. Their "new" Honda Connect is based on the old "Ice Cream Sandwich" Android OS instead of QNX.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Fitmo, do you know if any of Honda's other current vehicles are running QNX, or if the hardware they're using could run it?

I'm hopeful that CarPlay is coming given that Apple's CarPlay promotional pictures are of a Honda with what looks to be the exact same display as the current Fit has.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
The head unit side of CarPlay was originally developed on QNX, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't be ported to other car infotainment OSes. Most here agree it's highly unlikely Honda will offer upgrades to CarPlay/Android Auto for existing vehicles. I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll see either in a Fit until the 2017 model year.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
This could be a glimmer of hope if the poster is honest and the CR-V is using the same hardware and Windows Embedded software as the FIT...

Apple carplay beta for my cr-v touring

If Apple can be believed that 40 models will offer CarPlay by the end of 2015, somebody (but maybe not Honda) will have to be upgrading existing vehicles with new software... I don't think 40 new models are being launched in the next 9 months.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I hope you're right. Four $25 prepaid cards a year for a $15 flip phone that fits in my watch pocket works for me.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I guess we'll see in a few months...

The HR-V pictures show the same display as the current Fit as well (again, I know nothing about the electronics hooked to the display, but the display itself looks the same). So I'm hopeful.

Free company iphone works for me... I just want it to do more work!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thelaxplayer
Free company iphone works for me...
Instead of an iPhone, I had the company provide me a 4G/LTE mifi and a 8GB/512GB MacBook Air (with Parallels/Windows). Works better for the work I do (and they can't snoop on me or track me with MDM).

Last edited by Fitmo; 03-10-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
I do too much CAD work. My work laptop is the heaviest laptop in the history of mankind (give or take).

Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
LOL. I still use a 17" MBP at home. Wish they still made them.

AutoDesk, SolidWorks, or Pro E?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 AM
SolidWorks, NX, and Catia right now (ridiculous I know...) but I have more of a history with ProE. I really only do CAD work a few hours a week these days though, the rest is dealing with customers and putting out fires.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I run ProE (Creo) on a MBP 17 / Win7 64 in Parallels. Don't do a lot of heavy work in it, but the MBP does run it fine (SSD and 16GB RAM).

es

Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 AM
iPhone best for 2015 Fit?

Hi guys interesting thread. I was at a dealership yesterday to ask a few Q's about functionality with an iphone. I have been an Android user for years. My current phone, though, is an interim (POS) phone to stand in for my last slideout keyboard phone that stopped working. So I need a phone....I just bought a new 2015 Fit EX...and it seems that an iPhone plays nicest with the Fit?? You guys find that to be true?

I want to use the Nav through HondaLink Next Generation. But I want to make sure I can go back out to the main DisplayAudio menu, hit "Audio" and see my streaming Spotify going with artist, song, album info with art and controls on the car's screen.

The dealership guy yesterday said the DisplayAudio unit is based off QNX / optimized for iOS and he encouraged me to get an iPhone. He said that his iPhone allows him to run the HondaLink Nav app, while playing Spotify and being able to see all the Spotify info and control it on screen and from steering wheel but I'd like to corroborate that. Thank and I look forward to everyone's comments!
Ken

Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I would not buy an iPhone just for Hondalink.

I would put Hondalink in the category of "barely works".

If you happen to decide you like the iphone better then another android then even though its overpriced paying for the app if you happen to have an iphone anyway is not the worst thing in the world.

As for your question; yes you can play audio from an app on the phone at the same time you have navigation on going via the Hondalink app.

However the Hondalink app makes it nearly impossible to switch between other screens on the in dash unit and switch back to hondalink.

The problem is most of the time if you switch away from the Hondalink app and then attempt to reload it you will need to "reapprove" the connection on your phones screen. Obviously this is not convenient and dangerous while driving.

Now Spotify might respond to the forward and back buttons on the steering wheel controls so you might be able to skip songs on the app with that while running the nav app. But I don't use Spotify myselfy so I am not sure. At a minimum though I know the audio should come through via bluetooth.

Bear in mind though the only reliable way to set this up is before you start driving.

I would imagine the procedure would be connect the iphone with the hmdi cable adapter. Start spotify app; select your desired music.

Select "Honda Connect" on the Honda's screen. Select "approve" when the prompt comes up on your iphone's screen. After Hondalink loads select the nav app on the Honda's screen. Set your destination.

I used this a lot with the SiriusXM app. But if anything happened to the connection while driving I would just have to let it be until I was stopped somewhere and fix it. Not an ideal system.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Cool, we have a couple of Creo (ProE) users here. Been using ProE since '91, myself (started on release 6). Still using it for tool and die design at work.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Additional thoughts:

I would not buy an iPhone just for Hondalink.

Agree.

I would put Hondalink in the category of "barely works".

I'd call it "adequate, if limited." For the way I use nav, it works okay.

As for your question; yes you can play audio from an app on the phone at the same time you have navigation on going via the Hondalink app.

Correct.

However the Hondalink app makes it nearly impossible to switch between other screens on the in dash unit and switch back to hondalink.

The problem is most of the time if you switch away from the Hondalink app and then attempt to reload it you will need to "reapprove" the connection on your phones screen. Obviously this is not convenient and dangerous while driving.

You can use the steering wheel controls (left side) to easily switch between modes on the head unit (won't go back to the "Info" screen, though). The only problem you'll have is if you change to another app on your iPhone itself, which *will* require you to reapprove the app to run nav again (don't attempt while driving!).

Now Spotify might respond to the forward and back buttons on the steering wheel controls so you might be able to skip songs on the app with that while running the nav app. But I don't use Spotify myselfy so I am not sure. At a minimum though I know the audio should come through via bluetooth.

I also don't use Spotify. Bluetooth music streaming is very reliable for me (iPhone 6, iOS 8).

Bear in mind though the only reliable way to set this up is before you start driving.

Ditto.

es

Old 03-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by kenmarcou
The dealership guy yesterday said the DisplayAudio unit is based off QNX / optimized for iOS and he encouraged me to get an iPhone. He said that his iPhone allows him to run the HondaLink Nav app, while playing Spotify and being able to see all the Spotify info and control it on screen and from steering wheel but I'd like to corroborate that. Thank and I look forward to everyone's comments!
Ken
Sounds like a trip to the dealer would be in order here. Ask the "dealership guy" to show you exactly how it works for him so you can verify his claim.