3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Acceleration occasionally jerky

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Acceleration occasionally jerky

When accelerating right after coasting or braking at slow speeds (under 5mph or so) it sometimes accelerates with a jolt, almost like the feeling of someone rearending me very very slowly. It only happens kind of randomly while the car is moving. It doesn't do it with Econ mode on, and I'm avoiding it by just very lightly tapping the accelerator when accelerating while <5mph .Does this happen for anyone else? It's just annoying and a bit jolting when it happens and it's not like anything's clanking.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
This happens to me to but im not sure if this is normal.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
6sp MT or CVT? Is the engine warmed up when this happens?

I've only noticed a little more eagerness to accelerate while warming up because the RPMs are running higher, otherwise on my CVT it is really smooth. And I don't use ECO mode because I like the throttle to mirror my foot movements without delay.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
6sp MT or CVT? Is the engine warmed up when this happens?

I've only noticed a little more eagerness to accelerate while warming up because the RPMs are running higher, otherwise on my CVT it is really smooth. And I don't use ECO mode because I like the throttle to mirror my foot movements without delay.
This is for the CVT and it would happen after warmed up.

Actually, now that I'm paying attention to it again, I really can't duplicate the jerking. It did happen just once last week, and in stop and go traffic almost every time. Not something serious or happens enough for me to warrant taking to the dealer, but maybe it's a quirk of the CVT.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 PM
I've noticed this a few times with mine. Seems that it usually happens when there is a marked change in throttle position (acceleration up to speed, then let off to maintain speed). Also notice it at times when decelerating from a slower speed (similar to a downshift with a normal auto).

I'm not worried about it with mine. This CVT just seems to react MUCH faster than the one that was in my Insight. But that was a 10 Insight, and the technology is constantly evolving. I had just had a software upgrade on the Insight, and that improved it a lot (even to the point that I didn't hate that transmission). Then I totaled it, and bought the Fit. This CVT is SOOOO much better than the earlier ones. I actually enjoy driving the Fit compared to the Insight.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Mine does that sometimes too, but mine is a stick. No rhyme or reason to it, it's sporadic. Feels like when someone is learning to drive a stick (which I'm not, had them all my life). If it keeps up, I'll ask the dealer if there is a fix, software update maybe.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tssphoto
Mine does that sometimes too, but mine is a stick. No rhyme or reason to it, it's sporadic. Feels like when someone is learning to drive a stick (which I'm not, had them all my life). If it keeps up, I'll ask the dealer if there is a fix, software update maybe.

Any answer on this? I have a MT and get the same issue. Pisses me off.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by DannyJ7
Any answer on this? I have a MT and get the same issue. Pisses me off.
My MT does this, but I have learned when I feel it coming on to either be slower to get on and off the gas to lessen it or use the clutch. My Subaru MT sort of did the same thing so I considered it normal. It only happens for me after slowing in 1st or 2nd gear and then accelerating again while holding that same gear.

Last edited by Redd; 05-27-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 AM
Hate to be that guy but is it maybe something to do with americans not being able to drive manuals

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by harry22673
Hate to be that guy but is it maybe something to do with americans not being able to drive manuals
Nope.
The thread was opened by a CVT Fit owner.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Hey! I have this issue too, brand new 2015 LX 6 speed just off the lot.

I didn't notice it during my test drive and I was beginning to think it was a problem. Anyone have a clue? To give a history for the guy above, I've owned a dodge neon, Toyota Mr2, 91 Nissan GTR(twin turbo), 350Z, and BMW 335xi twin turbo in manual and have never had anything like this happen. It certainly isn't my ability to drive stick because I've spent plenty of time at the race track and even more time commuting.

I was thinking it might have something to do with the variable valves but I'm really at a loss. I would expect it if a turbo was kicking in o_0.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gusvera
Nope.
CVT here but CNDM. Same issue. Kinda learned to live with it but the 'slowing down' jerk can be pretty annoying when slowing down slightly faster than casual and light on the brake. Asked in service if there's any fw update available when doing my second round and they laughed me out so there's that for me.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by gusvera
Nope.
Sorry fun police
Jeez

Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM
I've been asking dealers, I do end-of-lease car inspections, so I go to every Honda dealer in my area, only one had heard of the problem and showed me a Tech Note about it. It said they needed to capture a 'snapshot' of it happening, which means a customer drives their car with the Honda scan tool plugged in, and when it happens the customer has to press a button on the tool to capture the software while it's happening. I used to be a Honda service writer, and I've seen this done, once they have a snapshot they'll write a software update to correct it.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:50 PM
I have it too and I've been driving a stick for over 30 years. Not the driver. It's the car. Not sure it's normal but it happens.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 AM
It's been written about.

This is common. Search here for, high state of lean.