3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 AM
bike rack question

Have have a Saris bike rack like the one shown at the link below.

http://media.performancebike.com/ima...-NCL-ANGLE.JPG

With my 2010 Fit, I could remove the spoiler. Can I do that with my 2015 Fit or will the spoiler be okay for this bike rack with 2 bikes?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
That's the rack I have, but I only use it for one bike. I can't imagine the spoiler being a problem, but if you're worried just set the top straps long enough so that the bottom legs contact the top of the bumper, that's where most of the weight will rest.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Belisle
Have have a Saris bike rack like the one shown at the link below.

http://media.performancebike.com/ima...-NCL-ANGLE.JPG

With my 2010 Fit, I could remove the spoiler. Can I do that with my 2015 Fit or will the spoiler be okay for this bike rack with 2 bikes?
You don't need to remove the spoiler. Thule now makes a bike carrier that's compatible with the Fit (2015):

Bike Carriers - Thule

Old 05-24-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
(Shaking my head "no")......I've owned a few on-the-car racks and with my new car, I finally told myself no more......a 1-1/4" hitch costs $117 from etrailers and it hooks up in an hour or so, completely bolt-on......then find a good rack - I bought the Allen premier two-bike rack and have loved the setup so far......I was determined not to put muddy bikes back on my car again, but if you are only riding road bikes, the lighter weight / no mud situation might better suit you if you want to keep your bike on the car...........

Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
better idea for carrying bikes

I have owned three fits, 2009, 2010, 2013. I am an avid cyclist for over 45 years. I bought the Fit BECAUSE I dont need a bike rack. My wife and I travel with our bikes all the time. We just load them upright into the back. All we have to do is remove the front wheels, and mount them on a fork mount thingy screwed to a 2x6 that stretches out across the back. Been doing this since 2009. When it rains, they dont get wet and they are always locked up, and there is still room for our camping stuff. Dont get me wrong, it is tight, but it fits, cause it's a FIT. You wont beleive this, but we even travel sometimes with our tandem. We will put the passenger seat back all the way back and put a piece of cardboard so as to protect the seat covers, remove the front wheel and mount the fork into the same fork mount as described. The rear wheel will go up into the passenger seat, and the 2nd occupant sits right behind the driver - perfect. I have been responsible for selling about 4 Fits, ever since I got mine. It is the perfect car for cyclists IMHO.

PS> I can send photos of the tandem inside the car if you'd like.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Agreed, balesmachine. I also bought the Fit because it holds 2 bikes inside. Like you, I remove the front wheels and use 2 fork mounts (bolted to a 1x8). I do have to lower/remove the saddles though (it seems the 2015 Fit has a bit less interior height than the previous models). It still leaves me with a lot of cargo space between the bikes though, which is a necessity when taking trips.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Agreed, balesmachine. I also bought the Fit because it holds 2 bikes inside. Like you, I remove the front wheels and use 2 fork mounts (bolted to a 1x8). I do have to lower/remove the saddles though (it seems the 2015 Fit has a bit less interior height than the previous models). It still leaves me with a lot of cargo space between the bikes though, which is a necessity when taking trips.

I just fold up the rear seats.
My two bikes (mine and wife's) fit between the front and rear seats, front wheel removed and handelbars turned 180° (for the fork to point backwards).
This leaves the boot free for all the luggage.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM
I use the rear seat down option for my bikes. It's so simple and one of the main reasons I bought the Fit.
I have the rack mentioned by the original poster. It's a leftover from my traded BMW. It's almost new and I'd be happy to let it go if anyone is interested. I'm in the Atlanta area so a local sale or trade would be great.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
So you have the 2015. I was wondering (and worrying) if Honda would screw up such a good thing. So in 2015, they made few changes, but why ruin the best thing about this little car IMHO. So if I buy a 2015, it looks like it now has just enough less room so I have to screw with my saddle to get my bike in. Sorry to hear that.

Why, oh why do they mess with things - all in the name of progress! You know what they say, Congress is the opposite of progress!

Steve

Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I fit two road bikes this way, remove both wheels, leave saddle alone.

Name:  5aR3qGP.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  143.6 KB

Blankets for padding and protection of front seats. Blanket along the bottom for protection from the chain.

Leaves the back free for helmets and gear.

Small hassle factor for rear wheel, but good training/practice for fixing rear flats on rides anyway.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by balesmachine
So you have the 2015. I was wondering (and worrying) if Honda would screw up such a good thing. So in 2015, they made few changes, but why ruin the best thing about this little car IMHO. So if I buy a 2015, it looks like it now has just enough less room so I have to screw with my saddle to get my bike in. Sorry to hear that.

Why, oh why do they mess with things - all in the name of progress! You know what they say, Congress is the opposite of progress!

Steve
Yes I agree. Although lowering the saddles is pretty easy, and I keep a 5mm allen wrench clamped to the 1x8 mounting board with an office binder clip so it is always handy. And at least with the saddles lowered it makes putting the bikes in the back easier since you don't have to tilt them, they just roll straight in on the back tire. With all that said though, if it had just 2 more inches in height, I wouldn't have to lower them and it would certainly be more convenient (although it would start to resemble a Ford Transit Connect if you raise the roof).

Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Here's my setup. Still plenty of room for cargo between the bikes.

Last edited by GoBucky; 05-27-2015 at 08:38 AM.