3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ways to get the Fit you want at the best price.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Ways to get the Fit you want at the best price.

I'm ready to shop now and find the best Fit for me and my wife (kathyjo.net) here in Florida . I'm looking for a EX auto new with no dealer add-ons Can I ask you pro's the best way to buy one for MSRP.....OR even a little bit less? I would consider a order for a 2016 if I was sure to be in it by the first of September. Is it possible to get a EX L auto for under msrp? I'm just not sure how to negotiate and which model if any would be sitting on the lot the longest thus a better price/deal. I've heard a few references to service being tossed in the deal like oil changes. It has to be a CTV as I've loss the use of my l. arm ...maybe a veteran's discount? I can just barley git in and out of the 2006 MX5 Miata the Gibson doesn't fit in in the trunk of Mia with a amp any more lol! Thanks folks! if I wanted a Dodge or a ford no problem..

Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm in the process of buying a new EX right now. I got one place to go for $18,699 when MSRP is $19,180 and I'm waiting to hear back from another place to get it for less. All I did was go to Edmunds.com and look at their True Market Value, which happened to be $18,920, and made up my mind to not pay more than that. I also told the dealership that I'm going to another dealership right afterward so they quoted me a decent price right off the bat.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM
I used www.truecar.com combined with KBB and Edmunds to find the lowest cost. (EX manual came out to $17,300)

I then sent emails out to 5-10 dealerships in my area with exactly what I wanted (Ex, manual, steel metallic, no extras) and asked for them to break down their best price with all fees. (tax, title, doc, etc.)

Some of these dealerships would not send me pricing and claimed they would only work with me if I drove to their dealership. I wrote them back and said the only way to get me to drive to them would be to show me prices. Some complied, and some lost a chance to sell a car. The winners I put in a spreadsheet with their costs. Then took the best price and sent it to the rest. (I only sent the pricing and did not mention any dealers names)

After about 5 days we felt we had the best deal available from a dealership a few hours from our house. They won with about $18,300 out the door after fees and extras. The next runner up was just over $19,000.

I did not give out my phone number so all communication was done via email and very easy for me to track on my own time. At no point did I feel overly pressured to pursue a deal and it created a very stress free buying experience. I wish I had done this when purchasing my truck, although with used cars it is much harder to say "the next dealership also has exactly what I want and is offering it to me for less than you are".

Hope this helps,

Old 06-25-2015, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
This method is similar to EcoBoost's.
My New Car Buying Tips - Bogleheads

Old 06-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EcoBoost
I used www.truecar.com combined with KBB and Edmunds to find the lowest cost. (EX manual came out to $17,300)

I then sent emails out to 5-10 dealerships in my area with exactly what I wanted (Ex, manual, steel metallic, no extras) and asked for them to break down their best price with all fees. (tax, title, doc, etc.)

Some of these dealerships would not send me pricing and claimed they would only work with me if I drove to their dealership. I wrote them back and said the only way to get me to drive to them would be to show me prices. Some complied, and some lost a chance to sell a car. The winners I put in a spreadsheet with their costs. Then took the best price and sent it to the rest. (I only sent the pricing and did not mention any dealers names)

After about 5 days we felt we had the best deal available from a dealership a few hours from our house. They won with about $18,300 out the door after fees and extras. The next runner up was just over $19,000.

I did not give out my phone number so all communication was done via email and very easy for me to track on my own time. At no point did I feel overly pressured to pursue a deal and it created a very stress free buying experience. I wish I had done this when purchasing my truck, although with used cars it is much harder to say "the next dealership also has exactly what I want and is offering it to me for less than you are".

Hope this helps,
i like this

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I used truecar.com. Said I wanted to be contacted once price was what I thought was good. Next thing I know they are all contacting me with even lower prices than what was listed on truecar. Ex cvt for $18,045. Of course this is the Chicago market. I suspect demand is slightly less here as around the time I bought it most on this site were claiming spending more around the same time but elsewhere around the country

Old 06-26-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm a recent buyer as well, and using the sites listed above worked wonders for me - whenever you send a request out from an aggregator site you'll get dealers falling over themselves to outbid each other, although be prepared to be spammed by them for a while afterwards.

By researching the best and average price beforehand, you come prepared and you'll know if a dealer is trying to convince you they need to skew the price higher. You can also show them the offers that you've got from other places and challenge them to beat the price.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
One issue that I run into today was extended warranty plans. .In Florida dealers are required to sell at MSRP so that has to be figured into the negotiations. Dealers in 49 other states can discount it but Florida is ' protecting ' us. I don't know yet what price yet but I will soon. I want to get the best long term plan and so far that is the 'ultra' . Since I plan on keeping it for at least 6 years 120,000 miles I want to avoid $1,000.00 sunroof/window/touch screen repair bills. No matter what the build quality is it's the small things that can and do go wrong with it that can kill your budget. I've got a LOT of dancing left to do till I get one home.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 PM
My approach may be different but I looked at dealership reviews when I bought my first Honda back in 2003. I was happy with them and I've bought from them exclusively several times since (Accord, Element, Odyssey, Fit). I am happy to pay MRSP or slightly under and I don't spend my precious time and energy grinding a dealership down as if I'm buying a commodity. The buying, owning, service experience is fun and the dealership knows me. Life is better with that attitude in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I hope the dealership that has the passion berry ex cvt will be easier to work with. But I am determined to get a good to great deal. I'll go to Jacksonville for the car if I have too. True car listing had a dealer call me in less than 4 minutes of asking for a quote.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
I went to Edmunds and filled out their Price Promise request - the result was rather laughable - $19080 for the EX CVT. The same model is listed on the dealer's website as $18930. Some great price there, Edmunds.

I requested a price quote from the dealer as well, I should hear for them to-morrow. Dealerships are closed by law on Sundays in Colorado.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by frazzledglispa
I went to Edmunds and filled out their Price Promise request - the result was rather laughable - $19080 for the EX CVT. The same model is listed on the dealer's website as $18930. Some great price there, Edmunds.

I requested a price quote from the dealer as well, I should hear for them to-morrow. Dealerships are closed by law on Sundays in Colorado.
The edmunds price promise worked out well for me as I got an offer from a dealer who quoted me $800 dollars less than MSRP. The only issue was they didn't have the color I wanted and the dealer was a little further out, but in the end I just went to a closer dealer who had the color I wanted and i had them price match that promise and even do a bit better. So maybe it depends on your location and the dealers around you just aren't budging so possibly you just need to expand the radius of your search using truecar or edmunds and you should get some better quotes even if you don't intend to buy at those dealers. When I went to my select dealer with the price promise in hand I knew I wouldn't be paying more than that And I knew all the dealers who told me there was so little mark up on the car and they couldnt go lower were BSing.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Interestingly, I checked TrueCar as well, and they came back above MSRP. The dealer is currently listing $250 below MSRP.

I am not overly concerned about it, I have dealt with this dealer before and they have never been anything but fair with me. I also checked out reviews on them, and they were very good, and match my experience.

They are conveniently located to me, and my office, which is important for any warranty service that might be needed.

I don't like to play the get it for the bottom dollar price game when it comes to cars. I want to buy something reliable, for a fair price, from someone who will treat me right, and provide good service. I would rather pay a few hundred extra to get better service in the long run.

I wish that buying a car could be as simple as buying a stereo or something like that.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not in a big hurry so that works in my favor. I also run into a Mitilary $500.00 rebate but only if you finance with Honda. That expires on 6/30. Another factor is my 2006 MX 5 Miata I have a really hard time getting in or out. I put it off as long as I could but my hip is trashed and Mia has to go. I have loved that car since we got it in late 2006 . I've took good care of it so it won't be hard to sell myself. This is my first Honda and I have been seriously looking at the Fit for just a month or so. In my research I found last year lot's of folks paid MSRP or even a little more and only for the last 6 months you could get great deal if you fought hard. I wanted to ask yall here if the Passion Berry (the only color we want) is rare and highly sought after or if it's considered kinda of a orphan? I'm just so tired of grey and KJ will not go with the yellow. Also if the dealer options we do want, like body side molding and sunroof wind screen, can be purchased later at a lower price? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bossharp
In Florida dealers are required to sell at MSRP...
Is this for real or is a crooked dealer (yes, I know that is redundant) feeding Bossharp a line? That "S" stands for "suggested" even in Florida

Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I spoke with the dealership this morning and they quoted me $1050.00 below MSRP. Much better than the Price Promise.

I am waiting for the OTD price quote from him, and he is checking on financing for me. I'm hoping to get everything finalized, and then to go pick up the car this afternoon.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bossharp
Also if the dealer options we do want, like body side molding and sunroof wind screen, can be purchased later at a lower price?
2015-2016 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories - Bernardi Parts

Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Wound up paying $18,010 for the EX CVT in Yellow plus TTL. No destination, dealer prep, or doc charges. I was pleased.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
GOT IT !!!!!! I just picked it up 30 minutes ago. .Thank you all for your good advice. This forum made all the difference not only on the price but knowledge of the car itself. More to come.