3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sham24
This happened to me today. I changed the oil about two months ago and the clips just didn't feel secure when they went in. Today I heard a flapping underneath the car, immediately suspected it was the cover, looked, and lo and behold, it was.

I was about to buy 20 of the clips or so for future use, using the part number earlier in the thread, but man, shipping is expensive. Guess zip ties are the way to go. Gotta pick some up though.

EDIT: I picked up some crappy dollar-store zipties (the nice, thick kind being inconveniently located) and put'em on. I had to ziptie it to the other shield behind it, so it's not quite as flush as it was with the fastener, but it's a lot better. I couldn't see a way to ziptie to the metal without really tiny fingers.

EDIT2: I just saw Brian Jones' advice again - I'll pick up some "real" zip ties (the thicker black kind) and try to do that. I'm not very patient though.
Getting the zip tie threaded through the metal holes in the body does require a little cleverness and dexterity, but I think that once you figure out the best strategy, it will be easy to do a second time. I can think of a few other possible strategies. A small toggle bolt like the ones used to fasten something to drywall might work. You would need a washer with a small hole in it for the bottom side ("fender washer"). A short pin (threadless bolt sort of thing) with a clevis pin to secure the shield on the bottom side might work. When I am looking for solutions to this kind of thing, I go over to the local hardware store that has a large assortment of small hardware fasteners and look around for a solution, often with the help of a clever sales person. Frankly, I like the zip-tie solution because it's cheap and highly reliable. The strength of a nylon zip tie is amazing. Just remember to take you wire snippers under the car with you when you go to change the oil. Snip-snip and you're done--with those two at least.
Nearly any solution is better than the one Honda's engineers chose in this instance, an uncharacteristic engineering faux pas.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Just experienced this yesterday. Look at the pictures. This is viewing from the front passenger side.

Closer shot:

Name:  2150809_fit_tray_02_zpszdptnwy6.jpg
Views: 50444
Size:  45.9 KB

Last edited by fibrepunk; 08-09-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Brian,

Any chance of using longer zip ties and leaving a little slack? Wondering if one can then remove the front screws and those zip ties can act as a "hinge" of sorts?

The slack would still ensure the rear of the guard doesn't fall off.

Originally Posted by Brian Jones
Getting the zip tie threaded through the metal holes in the body does require a little cleverness and dexterity, but I think that once you figure out the best strategy, it will be easy to do a second time. I can think of a few other possible strategies. A small toggle bolt like the ones used to fasten something to drywall might work. You would need a washer with a small hole in it for the bottom side ("fender washer"). A short pin (threadless bolt sort of thing) with a clevis pin to secure the shield on the bottom side might work. When I am looking for solutions to this kind of thing, I go over to the local hardware store that has a large assortment of small hardware fasteners and look around for a solution, often with the help of a clever sales person. Frankly, I like the zip-tie solution because it's cheap and highly reliable. The strength of a nylon zip tie is amazing. Just remember to take you wire snippers under the car with you when you go to change the oil. Snip-snip and you're done--with those two at least.
Nearly any solution is better than the one Honda's engineers chose in this instance, an uncharacteristic engineering faux pas.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Go to the dealer for service and get new problems? Yeah, that is the kind of "service" the bull
does to the cow once a year.

Change my own oil, the six metal screws now have lock washers. Those two popcorn fasteners
in the back can be found at one of your Friendly Local Auto Parts Dealers (FLAPS). Thanks for
the zip-tie hint.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Happened to me after transmission work @ 3500 miles. I assumed they just didn't screw that plastic cowl or whatever back in, but looking at these comments maybe it's just a common issue. I fixed it with duct tape. Went to the dealership, they patched it up and ordered a new one last week. Still waiting on the call for when the new one comes in.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I just replaced my two rear-most plastic clips - took all of ten minutes, including getting the floor jack and stands out.

It's really a cheap, flimsy design how they did this - these fasteners should be much sturdier, especially given they have to come out every time you change the oil.

I'll have to get back under there to check, but I'm not sure there's easy access behind the frame member with the hole where these attach, so using dzus fasteners may not be as simple as I had hoped.

es

Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wallygator
Really? Was the panel damaged? If so, This sounds like it's the dealers fault and should be replaced on their dime. I would call corporate over that one.
It was. No doubt from driving on the freeway. I only noticed this after getting an oil change. Honestly, I wouldve argued, but the guy that initially checked me in was being a tiny bit hostile from the get go and i dont think it wouldve resulted in a positive exp. I'll take it to another dealer the next oil change and have them take a look. It's a shame, but at least the car is running well.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Ever since my splash shield fell on the interstate, I have this nasty habit now of having to periodically check under the car to see if it's in place. Actually, having had it fall twice, I know the signs - like going over nails, and hearing them ping against the underside of the car. That's when I know the screws have dropped out and it has fallen. But, I still look at times, and I'm not thrilled with feeling the need to do that. I recently had a new shield installed by the dealer on warranty, so hopefully it will not happen again. The car is very low to the ground, and I think it came lose the first time as I had to move through a pool of water on the road after a big storm. I think the pressure of the water against the shield may have caused it to loosen and begin to fall. I wish it was more firmly attached. I've been jealous of Civic drivers recently since the Civic seems higher up than the Fit and likely doesn't have the loose shield issue.

Last edited by bklynrickel; 08-13-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
quikser:
I don't know if I understand what you are proposing. Can your say more about your idea?
A further note about fixing this problem: I went to the hardware store today to look at the available options. There is a fastener called a jack nut that would work pretty well. It is threaded to receive a machine screw, and as you tighten it the first time, it flares out and collapses against the back side of the panel thereby creating a permanent threaded attachment point. Google "jack nut" and look at the images. You would need a couple nylon washers and a fender washer to complete the fix. One nylon washer would go on the top side of the body panel and one on the bottom. Maybe this is overcautious, but I would worry about the jack nut biting into the paint and giving rust a place to get started. Once the jack nut is installed, you simply use a standard machine screw with a fender washer to hold on the plastic panel. Nice solid attachment.
But I didn't do it. The car is under warranty, and I thought some dealer might complain when I have the car serviced that the shield is being held on in a non-standard way. So I'm sticking with zip ties since there is little reason to complain. They can easily cut them off and put on the crappy dealer fastener so as to be compliant. I will then put my zip ties back on so I can have peace of mind.
When the warranty is up, I may install a couple of jack nuts with nylon washers.
Am I obsessive? Don't answer that...

Old 08-14-2015, 03:08 AM
I could not unscrew one of the rearmost plastic screws on the slash shield so I drilled it out. I noticed the hole was about the same size as the holes the fasteners go into to secure the fender. I went to my Honda dealer and picked up two of these
I told the parts manager why I was getting these and he asked a mechanic if they run into this problem. The mechanic said the have a special honda tool that removes the screw with no problems. Got home and the fasteners went in with no problems and time will tell if they hold up. Here they are next to the plastic screw

Not as secure as a ziptie and your results may vary.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
There is a fastener called a jack nut that would work pretty well. It is threaded to receive a machine screw, and as you tighten it the first time, it flares out and collapses against the back side of the panel thereby creating a permanent threaded attachment point.
You beat me to it… I was planning to order a couple Advel "Rivnuts" (same thing as your Jacknut) to replace the plastic inserts the next time they fall out.

I don't think you'll get any grief from a dealer, certainly no more than having zip-ties.

es

Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yep Same Here

Was driving on I-35 South a few weeks ago and hear a grinding sound.

Jumped out and the front of the splash guard is dragging. All but two of the cheap plastic screws are gone so I rip it the rest of the way off.

FF to the week after at the dealership for first oil change, and of course, have them check out the splash guard.

Was told it's not covered by warranty since "there's no proof that I didn't hit something."

"Bullshit", I say.

The dealership quotes me $300.00 to replace it since you can't buy just the middle section. The parts come together with the right and left sections and are not sold separately. I found the same parts online for about $50.00 cheaper of course but not JUST the middle section.

Next, I call American Honda. I was told they would pay for half of the part (since I might have hit something and no proof that it's a defect )

While reading on this forum it's looking like a factory defect to me! I will probably wait and try to find a Fit that has been damaged/totaled and replace it at that time. That's the plan anyways.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by stembridge
You beat me to it… I was planning to order a couple Advel "Rivnuts" (same thing as your Jacknut) to replace the plastic inserts the next time they fall out.

I don't think you'll get any grief from a dealer, certainly no more than having zip-ties.

es
Rubber rivnuts might be an even easier option since we're dealing with plastic parts

Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I hate these shields, they always get damage in winter.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
Rubber rivnuts might be an even easier option since we're dealing with plastic parts
I am convinced. I'd like to buy some Rivet Nuts for this application. What is the recommended screw size? Where are Rivet Nuts typically sold?

Rubber Rivet Nut Installation Video

Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I am convinced. I'd like to buy some Rivet Nuts for this application. What is the recommended screw size? Where are Rivet Nuts typically sold?

Rubber Rivet Nut Installation Video
I'm not having issues with mine so I'm in no hurry; I think I'll pull the pushpins and bring them with to the store to match them up to something that will work.

Here's the thing: the area this thing mounts is exposed to the elements in a big way. Especially those of you in corrosive northern environments. One of the reason for the plastic push pins is if they do seize up, they can be broken free and replaced quickly and cheaply. If you decide to go with jack nuts, keep in mind if they seize and spin it will be a bish to get them out. Anti seize on the threads will be imperative.
The rubber rivnuts, if they seize, still might be able to be pulled out.

Your call.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I lost one of the rear fasteners last night when I accidently hit a cat on the way home last night. I felt terrible about the cat, much more so than any damage to the car.

Car held up better than I expected. the rubber "dam" came unhooked from the bumper, but I was able to hook it back in. One of the plastic fasteners at the rear of the engine cover sheared and disappeared somewhere on the road.

Called the dealer this morning. They had no fasteners in stock, but can get them tomorrow, so I ordered a few.

I'm seriously considering just leaving that under panel off once I've done the first oil change.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I did my first oil change a couple of months ago. I was especially careful with the under car shield fasteners; because it was fairly obvious that they are the weak point in the oil change operation. So far, so good.....I haven't had any problems yet.

I always do my own oil changes; because I want to be sure they are done correctly. Here's something to keep in mind. When a dealership hires a new untrained employee in the service department, his first assigned tasks are sweeping floors, washing cars, and doing oil changes.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM
YES YES YES.

Stupid ugh. Still makes me mad. I heard some noise while driving 80mph on the freeway. I didn't think much of it then. But later that day I was driving around the a parking lot and noticed a giant piece of plastic in the road. Looked under my car, put 2 and 2 together, and took it to the dealer. I was like look...obviously this is from my 8 month old car. What's the deal? And despite the fact that a part of the undercarriage plastic had BROKEN OFF they decided to charge me $20+ for new clips and put the broken undercarriage back on. They told me they were going to be nice and not charge me for labor. I was like are you fvcking kidding me? Don't put this on me. You were the last ones to touch my car when you changed my oil 2 days ago

Anyway. I'm done. I thought maybe it was a random thing. They didn't mention anything about a recall if there is one....

Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 AM
May be barking up wrong tree as I own a 2011 Fit & not a 2015 with splash shield. But... Seems to me that the only reason the average driver would mess with the splash shield is to remove it for oil changes. My experience with A4 splash shield was every time I took it off I damages a couple of the plastic screws. Solution: Cut access hole for oil filter & drain plug & never bother to take the splash shield off again. Any reason that wouldn't be a reasonable solution for 2015 Fit?

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?