3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Angry TPMS issue

I have a 2015 Honda Fit with approximately 7,000 miles. The other day my TPMS light came on. I checked the tires and they were a little low, not much. I filled the tires and the light won't go off. Is this an issue with anyone else? Now I have to waste my day off going to the dealer to have this resolved.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Two things:
1. It's not like the old ones. You need to hold the button below and to the left of the steering wheel to reset them. They will not auto reset.

2. I always over fill all my wheels by 2 psi. It will offset the normal flucution due to air pressure and the light doesn't go off nearly as much. Not as relevant in this model due to how the TPMS works, but force of habit.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
you have to reset it, turn the car on and hold the tpms button until the icon blinks twice, it should go out in a few minutes after your next drive.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Should you need it, it's pages 336 and 337 in the manual.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Thanks!

You guys are the best. I never even knew that button existed LOL. It worked!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
A few times the TPMS warned me about slow leaks from nails in my tires. About a month ago it went off, I checked all the tires and they were fine, so I reset the TPMS. Why it went off then I don't know.

About a month later I got my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer. The following day as I was running errands the TPMS goes on again. Since I was near the dealer I brought my car there. They looked at the tires and they were all filled at the right pressure. They told me to schedule an appt to have the TPMS looked at, so I did and left my car there for a day. They said it all looked good and it was likely that the tech who rotated my tires didn't reset the TPMS as it should have been anytime tires are rotated.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:45 AM
So the upshot of this is that there was no issue.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
So the upshot of this is that there was no issue.
For the latest TPMS warning light, no, because the tech may have not done a reset when rotating my tires. Yet it doesn't explain why I got the same warning about a month prior and all my tires were good. I even used two different pressure gauges. Even when I filled the tires to 35 psi from 32 psi, the warning light stayed on after driving a good ways. I finally just reset it then. I'm just not going to take that warning too seriously. I'll check my tires and if they're OK, I'll just reset the TPMS.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm a new poster. We bought a 2015 Honda Fit in March. We had to bring it back to the dealer two weeks later because the tire pressure light came on. They inflated the tires, reset the light and sent us home.
We brought it back 2 months later for the same issue. Same remedy.
We brought it back again last week. They updated the software and replaced the tires.
Now it's on again.
The dealer has been inflating to 34 psi. The manual says 32 psi. I'm reading on this forum that some of you inflate to 40 psi. We feel this is a new car and all of this is covered under an extended warranty, so I have this nagging sense of entitlement that they should handle it. (In other words, I'm not going to try and inflate the tires beyond the recommended tire pressure.)
But, I'm encouraged that we're not the only ones. Any advice for us? When does it become a recall issue?
Thank you!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I keep mine between 32 and 35 psi.

Mine has not been as much of a problem as you've been having. As I already mentioned, a few times the TPMS let me know I had a nail in my tire. But at least then the psi with the tire with the nail was in the low to middle 20s. You'd think a psi between 30 and 40 should be OK.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 AM
Wow it sounds like the sensors are overly sensitive. Either that or you have a slow leak. Do you regularly check your tire pressure?

So far I have had no issues whatsoever but my tires came filled with nitrogen from the dealer. Maybe your dealer can switch you to nitrogen fill to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise they need to replace all the sensors in your tires. It's ridiculous you have to keep seeing them for this.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wallygator
Wow it sounds like the sensors are overly sensitive. Either that or you have a slow leak. Do you regularly check your tire pressure?

So far I have had no issues whatsoever but my tires came filled with nitrogen from the dealer. Maybe your dealer can switch you to nitrogen fill to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise they need to replace all the sensors in your tires. It's ridiculous you have to keep seeing them for this.
Just FYI, the '15 and later Fits have no sensors in the tires. The TPMS system uses the ABS sensors in the wheels, and the computer compares the running diameter of the tires by calculating their relative rotational speed-soft tire=smaller effective diameter=greater rotating speed.

Pros:

No expensive battery powers sensors in the wheels to fail.

Can run winter wheels/tires or custom wheels/tire without purchasing extra sensors and having to visit dealer to reset system to "see" sensors in each wheel set.

System can be reset by owner/operator.

Cons:

System can sometimes be fooled by external conditions such as hard cornering, Which can change the relative speed of the four wheels enough to trip the TPMS system.

This is probably why they made the system resettable by the operator.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 AM
Did not know that. Thanks for that clarification. I wonder if the sensors in the wheels is a more reliable system? Regardless, It still shouldn't go off that much and they need to take it back to the dealer. Every TPMS vehicle I have owned was resettable. Also I have not had mine go off while cornering. Maybe the nitrogen helps hold the shape of the tires better? who knows?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wallygator
Did not know that. Thanks for that clarification. I wonder if the sensors in the wheels is a more reliable system? Regardless, It still shouldn't go off that much and they need to take it back to the dealer. Every TPMS vehicle I have owned was resettable. Also I have not had mine go off while cornering. Maybe the nitrogen helps hold the shape of the tires better? who knows?
the new system is probably cheaper, as it uses sensors which are already present (ABS sensors). If you've had to replace a tire sensor, you know they're not cheap. The downside, is that the new system does seem to be more prone to "false positives". Why, I don't know. I haven't experienced any issues at all with the new system in my Fit, so I haven't really been looking.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Uncle Gary, Thanks for being here, you are doing good.

If you fill your tires to the Honda specs they will not last very long, and most non-road hazard
tire failure is do to tires being run soft. 40psi seems high but 32 is way low.

If you put a couple of 200+ pound people (or equal amount of STUFF) in the rear it will cause a
TPMS fault if you only have 32 psi.

We are going to need new tires in about 10,000 miles. Much better quality and my tire guys
seem to know what will work. I will report back.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik

If you put a couple of 200+ pound people (or equal amount of STUFF) in the rear it will cause a
TPMS fault if you only have 32 psi.
That's exactly when mine went off and all the tires were about 32 psi when I checked them. I loaded up 3 other people in the car. I've done that before, but the two in back were not as heavy as the time when it id go off. I guess how much weight and where the weight is at can mess the TPMS up. It was also a hot day. I think I'll keep the tires at about 35 psi from now on.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
Uncle Gary, Thanks for being here, you are doing good.

If you put a couple of 200+ pound people (or equal amount of STUFF) in the rear it will cause a TPMS fault if you only have 32 psi.
And therein lies the issue with "indirect" TPMS systems, since the system is not reading pressure, but rolling "effective" diameter of the tires. Load up the car without adjusting the air pressure to compensate and the tires "settle" under the load. The TPMS system reads this as a "soft" tire.

In a way, this is a good thing, as it reminds you that a loaded car needs MORE air pressure in the tires.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Tpms Goes off when passing on gravel

I have had my Fit for 7 months and the tpms has gone off twice. Both times it was after passing on a highway with a small amount of gravel on it. I would be curious to know how many of you have the same trigger.