3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit EX-L - Tire Sidewall Failure - Which tires would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
2015 Fit EX-L - Tire Sidewall Failure - Which tires would you recommend?

About a week ago I noticed a bulge on my sidewall.

I inspected the tire and rim and there are no signs of damage to the rubber or rim other than the bulge.

Dealer confirmed that it doesn't look like a road hazard.

I called Bridgestone and they said it's not under any sort of warranty since it came with the car and tires aren't covered under the honda warranty. They suggested taking it to a Bridgestone dealer and seeing if there was a recall on the tire.

I am not holding my breath for that.

Looking at new tires, I'd like to get the Michelin Defenders but they don't come in the right size for the EX-L rims (185/55R16). They do come in 185/60R16.

I remember a shop telling me that you can go up one size but no more.

Q: Anyone have knowledge on such things?

Also, I'm open to alternate tire suggestions; I live in upstate NY where the winters are rough but don't want dedicated winter tires.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM
I would highly recommend Michelin Premier A/S in the 185/55R16 . I just purchased a set for my 2015 Honda Fit EX. They can be a little spendy depending on what tire shop you go to. And they can be a little noise but who cares. In my opinion they are way better than the Firestone (crap!!!!!)that came with the car. It's like night and day I am not kidding. Go to the Michelin tire website and make your decision. I did the research and the Michelin Premier A/S are the best choice.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
205/50R16 Contintial Extreme Contact DWS... DONE!

Its an OEA (Originally Equipped Accessory) tire size for the second gen Fit that should work with the third gen. Tire diameter is a smidgen off by maybe a tenth or two but you get 20mm more of tire width and a broader range of good tire choices.

Bonus points if you can score the DWS 06.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 AM
I had the exact same problem at 51,098.
The driver side front tire was bulging. Even though I could still squeeze out an additional 10k miles, I decided to buy 4 Michelin Premier A/S.

OTD cost was $592.xx. Hated the factory Bridgestones. Very noisy and car would constantly drift to the left. New Michelin's cured all but the noise problem.

Well worth the money. (BTW, 60k mileage warranty).

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM
tju
Originally Posted by Ocedoc
About a week ago I noticed a bulge on my sidewall.

I inspected the tire and rim and there are no signs of damage to the rubber or rim other than the bulge.

Dealer confirmed that it doesn't look like a road hazard.

I called Bridgestone and they said it's not under any sort of warranty since it came with the car and tires aren't covered under the honda warranty. They suggested taking it to a Bridgestone dealer and seeing if there was a recall on the tire.

FWIW The packet of paperwork I received when I bought my fit included pamphlets produced by Bridgestone/Firestone (not Honda) covering the tire warranty and maintenance information. Their warranty clearly covers defects during the first year or (2/32ths wear) for complete replacement including mounting and balancing. After that it offers pro-rated value based on age/wear and maintenance records which they might more easily weasel out of I'm sure... My lx had the firestones and I've been ok with them for my use.