3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone with an EX MT that wishes they had an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:26 AM

This is really ridiculous, but you never know until you ask...

I have never been crazy about driving automatics. I learned to drive on a manual and drove one for years. My Fit replaced my 2003 Corolla that had over 250,000 miles. I had vowed that I'd drive it into the ground (as I do with all vehicles I own) and I did. Problem is, my drive-it-until-it-dies philosophy left me desperate for a replacement car. I knew I wanted a Fit as a replacement, but I never imagined I'd have a trouble finding a manual. However, when desperation forced my purchase, I was left with nothing but automatics - the few surrounding dealers didn't have any manual Fits.
I settled for the EX CVT automatic. Now, I will say, the car drives fantastically, and my wife was very excited for me to be driving an automatic (she's not much on a manual), but I just can't help being extremely bummed/annoyed every time I drive the car.
Practicality will likely just have me sticking with the auto. and eagerly awaiting my daughter to turn 16 so I can give her the 2015 Fit and finally get a manual - sadly, that's 7 years away.
All this being said, if there is anyone that wishes their EX manual was an automatic and would be interested in a trade, I'd love to have a little chat.
I do live in the North region of Florida, so we'd have to be around a day trip apart.
It would need to be pretty low on the mileage, and I'd prefer it to be an EX.

My Fit:
2015 EX Silver
3800 miles
Just had ceramic tint installed (15% in front and 30% in rear), and a heat/glare reduction sheet installed on the windsheild (really does help with head off front glass).
Front/back rubber floor mats (not OEM).
OEM wheel locks (don't need them where I live, but the sneaky dealer had already put them on).

I'm not listing the extras because I want them matched. I just felt it was worth mentioning.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I had gotten the CVT, but the price for the DX manual was too good to be true. Now I have to chew through all of those pesky 6 gears. Love the power delivery though!

Old 07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
I am very happy with my manual EX in modern steel metallic. The only complaint that I would have for the MT, is that you cannot finish making a turn from a stop without having to shift into 2nd gear. Also I guess I would like for 6th gear to be a little taller. 75 mph at almost 4k rpm, it feels like I still need to upshift. Still getting 40+ mpg, but feels like 6th should rev around 2k at that speed.

I hope you find someone to trade with in your area, the MT is quite fun and the clutch is so light that it is not a burden in heavy traffic with my daily commute.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
If I read this my first week with the new Fit, I would have seriously considered it. I was coming off a GTI 1.8T with a 5MT and the Fit just felt wrong ... launches were awful, overrevs were common (esp. in second), the clutch let out way too high, I had trouble finding fifth and sixth. It took a few weeks to really get into it.

That said, I really truly think the Fit was designed 100% for the CVT. The way things are going I was kind of surprised Honda offered an MT at all, esp. after seeing how other companies are going with ATs only. It's almost like Honda's inclusion of the 6MT was just an afterthought, maybe to appease the fringe crazies.

Last edited by bach; 07-24-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by bach
If I read this my first week with the new Fit, I would have seriously considered it. I was coming off a GTI 1.8T with a 5MT and the Fit just felt wrong ... launches were awful, overrevs were common (esp. in second), the clutch let out way too high, I had trouble finding fifth and sixth. It took a few weeks to really get into it.

That said, I really truly think the Fit was designed 100% for the CVT. The way things are going I was kind of surprised Honda offered an MT at all, esp. after seeing how other companies are going with ATs only. It's almost like Honda's inclusion of the 6MT was just an afterthought, maybe to appease the fringe crazies.
It's a world car, and many countries have more stick shift aficionados that the US does.
As far as why it is a 6-speed,

It's one more, so people will buy it even if it isn't a good idea.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 07-24-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Yep that's true esp. when you consider that Honda kept the ratio for sixth gear the same as fifth gear on older fits ... that ain't right

Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Yep that's true esp. when you consider that Honda kept the ratio for sixth gear the same as fifth gear on older fits ... that ain't right

Yup, I won't buy an automatic for any reason, but I wish they'd kept the old 5-speed. I find myself driving long distances in fifth because I forget there's and extra gear there, and fifth and sixth are so close together, that you can't hear the difference. For the speed range the car sees (in the real world), 6 gears just aren't necessary. It's just more shifting for no good reason.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
It's a world car, and many countries have more stick shift aficionados that the US does.

As I've said, the U.S. has become lazy and shiftless, and nobody gives a shift.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I have to use the automatic (loss of use l.arm) but if you have a lot of hiway miles remember the stick revs 1,000 rpm's higher at speed and will be not as quiet as the CVT. But it sounds like it's important to you so good luck on your search. Have you asked the dealer you bought it from about a trade?

Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
As I've said, the U.S. has become lazy and shiftless, and nobody gives a shift.
Actually, folks who buy 6-speeds give a lot more shifts (or is that "get?)."

I think it would be interesting to have identical cars with 5- and 6-speeds and see which one could get around a track fastest. I'll bet that the 5-speed would win if the course was fast enough to use all the gears. When you're shifting, you have zero horsepower and you have to shift a 6-speed more often!

I've had motorcycles that really needed 6-speeds, but they were pipey race bikes with narrow powerbands and you could shift the sequential gearbox without the clutch. The Fit's powerband isn't narrow at all and it could use a 5-speed without any issue, which it does in the Chinese market, IIRC.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Over a year ago when I first got my Fit I had to special order it. Forget about finding it at any dealer.

About a month ago I had to leave my MT Fit at the dealer for the day and they gave me a 2015 CVT Fit for a loaner. It was so BORING I about kissed my MT Fit when I got it back at the end of the day.

About the MT for the Fit, it's fine with me.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM
MT or AT whatever.

I wanted a Passion Berry Pearl and the only one the dealer had came with an MT.

Driving in LA is a bit of a pain with it but there are worse things in life.

I love the gearing on it. It makes me laugh when people can't figure it out. Clearly they haven't driven much stick in their life. Practice, practice, practice people and you'll get it eventually.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Lol what?!?!

I guess the old saying is true, give the people exactly what they ask for and they will still find something to complain about!

This is hands down the best Fit/Jazz yet. I commute 150 miles a day sometimes in heavy traffic and enjoy every minute in my MT EX!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
> I was left with nothing but automatics...

I am currently faced with nothing but MT6 2015s so I am forced to wait for a CVT 2016. I would not mind an MT6, but the CVT gets better mileage.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
> I am currently faced with nothing but MT6 2015s so I am forced to wait for a CVT 2016. I would not mind an MT6, but the CVT gets better mileage.
The MT6 is also cheaper. Months before my purchase I did some table napkin calculations and determined that for me it would take maybe eight years before I started realizing any gas mileage payback with a CVT over the MT6. That's a long time to wait.

Last edited by bach; 07-27-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
An MT would have to be a lot more expensive for me to consider an AT.

Or I'd have to lose a limb. Then I'd be looking at a DDC, which is basically a more expensive manual.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM
The MT6 is also cheaper. Months before my purchase I did some table napkin calculations and determined that for me it would take maybe eight years before I started realizing any gas mileage payback with a CVT over the MT6. That's a long time to wait.
Funny, that's almost the same math I did when comparing Fit vs. Prius.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alphabitter
Funny, that's almost the same math I did when comparing Fit vs. Prius.
Ha! I did a similar Fit/Prius calculation and I want to say it worked out to more than 11 years but I don't really remember now the figures used. The thing about the Prius is that battery; after 100K it starts degrading and can cost a fortune to replace.

For the 6MT/CVT calculation, my cocktail napkin math was very rough, assuming a 3 mpg difference between the 6MT and the CVT, 12K/year on the odometer and gas at $3/gal. The saving worked out to about $8/month. Higher miles on the odometer and more expensive gas will shorten the period to payback, but cheaper gas will lengthen it.

Last edited by bach; 07-27-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 AM

Uh...no way! You can keep the sewing machine transmission, I don't want it.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, folks who buy 6-speeds give a lot more shifts (or is that "get?)."
True, but who buys manual transmissions anymore besides us fanatics? Most cars sold in the U.S. aren't even offered with manuals anymore.

Still love my 6 speed Fit.

Quick Reply: Anyone with an EX MT that wishes they had an automatic?