3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cargo area wheel well covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Cargo area wheel well covers

Are there any DIY or after-market solutions for the not-so-sturdy cargo area wheel well covers? Last weekend I leaned on the cover and it caved-in! I fed a curved piece of copper tubing through the tie-down opening to restore its shape.

Name:  V8OJsTD.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  31.9 KB[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM
This is One mor example of where Honda failed so miserably hard in the exceptional cheapness of this vehicle.

They advertise placing things like bikes/surfboards, in the cargo area of this vehicle, but the reality is such actions would DESTROY this car.

Oh I dream of this at night
http://dalefranks.com/wp-content/upl.../02/fitin3.jpg

USEABLE cargo space.

Does not matter how BIG it is if it is unusable.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Northernblades
This is One mor example of where Honda failed so miserably hard in the exceptional cheapness of this vehicle.

They advertise placing things like bikes/surfboards, in the cargo area of this vehicle, but the reality is such actions would DESTROY this car.

Oh I dream of this at night
http://dalefranks.com/wp-content/upl.../02/fitin3.jpg

USEABLE cargo space.

Does not matter how BIG it is if it is unusable.

I put a motorcycle wheel in the car last week to carry it home, and it left a permanent dent in the trunk floor panel.

Absolutely right. Why have room to carry stuff if everything you put in the car damages it? I'm becoming rapidly disillusioned with this car and with Honda. I might as well have bought a Miata given that the Fit's space can't be utilized without damaging the interior.

I'm beginning to wish I'd never traded my '09 Fit on this car.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-15-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
> wish I'd never traded my '09 Fit...

Were the second generation Fit cargo walls more sturdy?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Are there any DIY or after-market solutions for the not-so-sturdy cargo area wheel well covers? Last weekend I leaned on the cover and it caved-in! I fed a curved piece of copper tubing through the tie-down opening to restore its shape.

[/IMG]
Thanks for the reminder how flimsy the interior liner (wall) is.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
> wish I'd never traded my '09 Fit...

Were the second generation Fit cargo walls more sturdy?

Yes, the GE cargo floor was Masonite under the carpet, and the side walls were heavy molded plastic, not flocked pressed paper.

For five years I loaded that car with guitar cases, a couple of heavy tube amplifiers, equipment case, pedalboard, microphone stand and more, two or three times a week. The luggage compartment looked like new when I sold it.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-15-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM
It is funny I just saw this thread today. I'm preparing to build a custom fiberglass speaker box just aft of that wheel well. The process for strengthing that wheel well would be the same as making a speaker box from fiberglass but inside the well rather than outside. The cover can be removed and then cover the inside with plastic material from the hardware store and taped. The wrap and tape will protect the wheel well material. Get a fiberglass Epoxy kit and a few big sheets of fiberglass. It's all sold at the hardware store. I found mine at Lowes by the drywall puddy and glues. Add a thin layer of the epoxy to the plastic and then a layer of fiberglass on the expoxy and build up the fiberglass. Just a few sheets will be pretty strong. When it's all dry and aired out put the wheel well and fiberglass support back in. I e seen a few instructables about building speaker boxes this way so finding the diy will be easy. It's a cheap and pretty easy way to make them stronger. I do composite work on aircraft and at home a lot too. Don't let it overwhelm and take your time. I hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM
I figured it belonged in this thread, is this not the most absurd thing you have ever seen??http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...ries-cargo.jpg

Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I put a motorcycle wheel in the car last week to carry it home, and it left a permanent dent in the trunk floor panel...
Not a good sign. Maybe make a plywood base, split into two longitudinal pieces so it is easy to install. An MC wheel is not that heavy, as compared to car wheels.

Originally Posted by Northernblades
I figured it belonged in this thread, is this not the most absurd thing you have ever seen??http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...ries-cargo.jpg
Flat bars, clean bike. That's just not me, but may work for someone else.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Yup, mine is damaged as well in the same spot. I didn't care but after reading you guys' posts, you're right. It is unacceptable.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Not a good sign. Maybe make a plywood base, split into two longitudinal pieces so it is easy to install. An MC wheel is not that heavy, as compared to car wheels.

To be fair, we're talking about a mounted wheel for a Harley-Davidson big twin, which weighs 43 pounds, and most of that weight was resting on the protruding 1.5" dia. hub spacer.

I've thought about making a false floor out of plywood, but that's just one more thing I have to carry around with me, and it still does nothing to protect the "cardboard" wheel well covers.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Great, I made sure there was room for my tools back there, but not if the floor would support them.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Yes, the GE cargo floor was Masonite under the carpet, and the side walls were heavy molded plastic, not flocked pressed paper.

For five years I loaded that car with guitar cases, a couple of heavy tube amplifiers, equipment case, pedalboard, microphone stand and more, two or three times a week. The luggage compartment looked like new when I sold it.
Thank you! That makes me feel better about my GE8 and the slightly worse mileage that it gets compared with direct injection engine.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i was looking at my wife's GK trunk yesterday while pressuring up the spare tire... looked kinda weak.
also that styrofoam tray under the floor is kinda nice for daily use, but a pita to get out during a flat in rain/storm, i think.

my 12 (GE), i carry my hobby car's wheels and such, no issue with bent floor or the wall plastics caving in. lol
i need to get a roof rack..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I've transported a wood 9 drawer dresser, two wing back chairs, and countless boxes. I haven't experienced an issue.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dtuk
Get a fiberglass Epoxy kit...
Thank you for confirming my first thought. I've got a fair amount of fiberglass experience after building two kayaks and look forward to reinforcing the cargo sidewalls that way.

Anyone know how to remove the cargo sidewalls? I took a quick look at them tonight and it was not obvious task. I wish I had Fit service manuals like I've had for all my other cars and trucks. It is probably a simple operation after one look at an exploded view of the area.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I've transported a wood 9 drawer dresser, two wing back chairs, and countless boxes. I haven't experienced an issue.
good to hear!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wink A thought (a rare one acccording to ex)

I know that all 2015 Fits were manufactured in Mexico and that the initial run had quality problems. Wondering if the interior cargo area problem mentioned in this thread could have been in the early run and maybe corrected in the later runs? I don't have the paper work handy, but I bought my Milano Red EX 6 speed on May 2, 2015.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I know that all 2015 Fits were manufactured in Mexico and that the initial run had quality problems. Wondering if the interior cargo area problem mentioned in this thread could have been in the early run and maybe corrected in the later runs? I don't have the paper work handy, but I bought my Milano Red EX 6 speed on May 2, 2015.
Number 4623 made April, 2014.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Number 4623 made April, 2014.

Mine December, 2014 Number (last 5 of VIN?) 64902.

Quick Reply: Cargo area wheel well covers