3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Front end abuse!!! ARRGH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Front end abuse!!! ARRGH!!!

Rant on....Well I have not had this car long and already the front of it is getting marred up pretty bad. I clean the bugs off on a very regular basis and Every week I see a new nick or chip from a frakin' stone. It seems this thing is a magnet for stones smoking the bumper and hood. I did not have enough money for a 3M clear bra when it was brand new and I am now regretting it. At this rate the front end of my car is going to look like total crap in a few years!!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
I got a nose mask, jury's still out on permanent status. You have to not hate the look but it seems to work, though I can't see all the hooks and snaps lasting very long.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
This is a commuter car for me, not a garage queen so I knew it'd get lots of bugs and chips. So far lots of bugs and a few chips in about 10k.

As far as car bras, I've never been a fan. I've seen them do a lot of damage underneath when they rub on the paint.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
It's a machine. A tool. Either frame it and hang it on a wall or use the damn thing.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
This is a commuter car for me, not a garage queen so I knew it'd get lots of bugs and chips. So far lots of bugs and a few chips in about 10k.

As far as car bras, I've never been a fan. I've seen them do a lot of damage underneath when they rub on the paint.
Yeah I knew it would chip up for me too but I guess it's been so long since I have had a low car that I am not expecting it to happen so fast. And not a fan of the bras either. They do damage the paint quick if not taken on and off frequently. YMMV.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
It's a machine. A tool. Either frame it and hang it on a wall or use the damn thing.

You are so cool.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
double post

Last edited by Wallygator; 09-02-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I agree on the "ignore the small stuff and drive it" philosophy, but it does seem the new 3-coat paint process is producing an inferior finish that is subject to chipping.

With a plastic front end, it would be really nice if they would make the plastic underneath the same color as the paint!

Old 09-02-2015, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I agree that there is something up with the paint. I know the first batch that came out had a BUNCH of paint issues where dealerships had to get parts re-painted due to the paint peeling off.

I have a bunch of rock chips on my hood and have only owned the car for a year. the GF has a ford focus and drives more then I do and has NO rock chips.

Also, the paint in certain areas have Fish eyes and is not smooth. I might bring it up next time I am at the dealership.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same issue with my previous 2012 civic. Chips galore on the hood and front end. With my Fit, strangely, I don't have that issue.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I had the same issue with my previous 2012 civic. Chips galore on the hood and front end. With my Fit, strangely, I don't have that issue.
Just wait...

Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by tmasazo
I agree that there is something up with the paint. I know the first batch that came out had a BUNCH of paint issues where dealerships had to get parts re-painted due to the paint peeling off.

I have a bunch of rock chips on my hood and have only owned the car for a year. the GF has a ford focus and drives more then I do and has NO rock chips.

Also, the paint in certain areas have Fish eyes and is not smooth. I might bring it up next time I am at the dealership.
Yes the paint seems awfully brittle. It might be a blessing if it does fall off so it gets repainted. Time will tell, but I'm still wishing I had a enough coin for a clear bra. It's too late now. So any potential buyers out there try and negotiate a clear bra into the price

Old 09-07-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
I agree that the car is to be used and enjoyed... but i also think there's something seriously off with the paint. I have more chips, cracks, and other imperfections in this car that i've owned for about 4 months, one of which (cumulatively), the car spent being repaired (don't get me started on that), than I have in my 7 year old BMW. I don't think this is normal.

That said... if you're worried and you think nose masks are ugly... get a full detail to fix everything that can be fixed, then get a proper clear bra applied as mentioned above. It's what I should have done with all my cars with each purchase. It's a good chunk of cash, but if you're anal like me, it might be worth saving the headaches and annoyance.