3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB drive limit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 AM
USB drive limit

697 is the number, the max number of folders in a USB flash drive.

There seems to be some sort of limit when using a USB flash drive. Using the excellent Sandisk UltraFit, I play music in my 2015 Fit. My first drive was 64gb and I had no problems. Wanting to expand my music selection, I went up to the 128gb drive. Oops.

I had organized the 64gb with Artist-Album folders and then Track Number - Title within the folder. For e.g. the folder was called "Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run", with the songs titled "1 - Thunder Road", etc. Worked OK with the smaller drive.

With the 128gb drive I organized by artist with subfolders for albums. For e.g. there was a "Bruce Springsteen" folder, and then subfolders for "Born to Run", "The River", etc. with the songs titled the same way.

Not all of the albums showed up on the car's player. I thought it was a space limit, but no. When I consolidated some of the folders, additional folders near the end of the alphabet showed up. Then I thought there may be a limit on the number of prime folders, i.e. artist folders. But no, that wasn't it.

I then went back to the naming system I used for the 64gb drive. The number of folders maxed out at 697. This is the maximum number of folders. It does not seem to matter how many songs are in a folder. So I began consolidated some folders. Before I may have had a separate folder for each disc of a two disc set, e.g. "The River I" and "The River II", but then I consolidated the two into one folder, "The River." When I did that another folder would appear at the end of the list.

This set is antiquated to say the least. Reminds me of some early MP3 players.

Another quirk. The car displays the set of folders not in alphabetical order, but in the order downloaded. When scrolling through a long list, this can make it difficult to find albums. What I did was set up a master folder on my computer, make all the changes on that master folder and then transfer the folder en masse to the disk drive for the car. This usually worked but not always. Also, it appears that songs are also displayed in downloaded order.

Finally, I retagged all my songs with the title number first, then song title. Again, the display does not sort by alphabetical order, but will sort by numerical order. Party like its 2001 again!

Hope this saves someone else a weekend that this knowledge cost me.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forums.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's funny that Honda omitted this information in the owner's manual for the GK. the manual for my '09 Fit says the capacity is 700 folders and 65,535 files. Sounds like this hasn't changed in the GK.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
The worst part is that is show the folders and sub-folders on the display. I only want to see the folders with the artist name on it on the display and the sub-folders when I click on the artist folder I want. By having the sub-folders show on the display before picking an artist folder it take forever to scroll through the folders to pick an artist. Scrolling through the folders is difficult while driving with the horrible touch screen and scrolling through the folders doesn't seem to be possilbe with the steering wheel controls.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
It was actually WORSE in the GE, with its "multi-function" knob. I owned that car for six years, and could never get the hang of scrolling through the folders with that stupid knob. The instant you stopped, the knob reverted back to its primary function as a volume knob, and you had to start all over again. I never dared try to search for a folder while driving-just too distracting. The EX is MUCH better than my '09 Fit in that regard.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-09-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
...the manual for my '09 Fit says the capacity is 700 folders and 65,535 files...
[nerd]
2 ^ 16 = 65,536, which makes sense, but how did they come up with 700? 2^10=1024, 2^9=512, but 700? Really?
[/nerd]