3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So what's up with Honda?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
So what's up with Honda?

I have had cars with many problems, but this is now the third recall for my 2015 Fit. Never had that many recalls on any car. (Bumper recall, A pillar recall and now the coil recall) Is it the Mexican plant, or lack of detail testing and follow through by Honda?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Bumper and coil would likely be engineering and pilot testing deficiencies. My guess is the A pillar trim issue was either mistakes on the assembly line, or a bill-of-material goof – someone specified the wrong part number or something similar (more likely in my mind).

Some folks with early-build cars were reporting thin paint, dash or bumper panel alignment issues, etc., which would be more likely to be assembly plant issues.

es

Old 10-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it could be all the above. they're most likely using more local suppliers too which can add to more variance and problems.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
First year for a major redesign, new engine, new city in Mexico (CRV plant opened in 1995 in Mexico), new factory, actually Honda did a pretty good job of not being a total disaster. Production numbers are low compared to other car manufacturers and this continues today.

Here's hoping that 2016 will be better!

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-07-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
would u rather have this?

Ignition Switch Recalls: Chrysler Recalls Up To 800,000 Jeeps

honda with quick voluntary recalls. none of them catastrophic or has turned catastrophic yet.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Mexico production & Honda seemingly having given up on engineering perfection over a decade ago happened.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
I have had cars with many problems, but this is now the third recall for my 2015 Fit. Never had that many recalls on any car. (Bumper recall, A pillar recall and now the coil recall) Is it the Mexican plant, or lack of detail testing and follow through by Honda?
A better question might be, "What's up with you?"

I saw the folder headline and bet myself that you were the originator before opening or reading the small print.

The 3 official 2015 Fit were all VOLUNTARY, not ordered by the EPA or any other governmental agency. No lives lost(GM), no laws broken (can you say VW?). It seems that Honda is UP FRONT with it.

Fits are not perfect, but it's not for the lack of trying. Now many of the problems find their roots at the dealership level. Beware of dual dealerships, because any service issues are going to favor the most profitable brand.

Maybe you should have gone for your screen name, but they cost up to 10 times what the cheapest Fit costs. Where are they, C8, eight generation? How many recalls have they had?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
C7.

And getting uglier every year

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
C7.

Ugly, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In any case, I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Some have said the 3rd Generation Fit is over styles, ugly even. The swoops and curves actually strengthens the body panels.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
First year for a major redesign, new engine, new city in Mexico (CRV plant opened in 1995 in Mexico), new factory, actually Honda did a pretty good job of not being a total disaster.
We're all entitled to an opinion, and mine is that for SOME early build units, Honda did an embarrassingly poor job, and some ongoing problems like front bumper cover and door misalignments as well as interior A pillar trim misalignments are proof positive that Honda isn't particularly focused on making quality corrections a priority. That's simply a factual observation more than an opinion. I'm sure that folks who bought a reasonably assembled unit care less about all this than the owners of units with a trashy build quality. That's to be expected.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
A better question might be, "What's up with you?"

I saw the folder headline and bet myself that you were the originator before opening or reading the small print.

The 3 official 2015 Fit were all VOLUNTARY, not ordered by the EPA or any other governmental agency. No lives lost(GM), no laws broken (can you say VW?). It seems that Honda is UP FRONT with it.

Fits are not perfect, but it's not for the lack of trying. Now many of the problems find their roots at the dealership level. Beware of dual dealerships, because any service issues are going to favor the most profitable brand.

Maybe you should have gone for your screen name, but they cost up to 10 times what the cheapest Fit costs. Where are they, C8, eight generation? How many recalls have they had?
Well, maybe you should put your ego in check, or stop worshiping the shrine to the H you have erected. The name has nothing to do with cars. But then, you would not have thought of that, would you?

Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
C7.

Of course you would think so

Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
First year for a major redesign, new engine, new city in Mexico (CRV plant opened in 1995 in Mexico), new factory, actually Honda did a pretty good job of not being a total disaster. Production numbers are low compared to other car manufacturers and this continues today.

Here's hoping that 2016 will be better!
Agree, but after talking with other Honda owners I work with, they have noticed a higher frequency of issues with their Hondas than they ever had in the past. This is my 8th Honda. Nothing major yet, but just aggravations to have to return more than ever before.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
would u rather have this?

Ignition Switch Recalls: Chrysler Recalls Up To 800,000 Jeeps

honda with quick voluntary recalls. none of them catastrophic or has turned catastrophic yet.
I would rather have the Honda quality of old.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Well, maybe you should put your ego in check, or stop worshiping the shrine to the H you have erected. The name has nothing to do with cars. But then, you would not have thought of that, would you?
Well, no ego involved beyond using most of my real name, which is Kent Finnell. I post openly and accept any blame for my mistakes by not hiding behind a screen name when I blast people, companies, and organizations. I'm also willing to accept what little praise that comes my way.

I have not and will not erect a shrine to Honda, I do not worship Honda. Any shrine that exists for Honda was erected years ago at the Temple of VTEC and the last time I was there, it too teemed with critics and malcontents.

Constructive criticisms are fine, the key word being "constructive." Tips and DIY projects are useful. Constant moaning, groaning, and general bitching serve no real purpose.

Now a non-automotive stingray is a bottom-dwelling marine ray with a flattened diamond-shaped body and a long poisonous serrated spine at the base of the tail. That you?

Old 10-12-2015, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 Fit has been of similar reliability to the only other Honda we've owned (well, two, actually), '89 and '90 Civic hatches. We sold the '89 after a year or so (first baby on the way and we had planned on my wife staying home), and drove the '90 about 165K miles before selling it to my brother, who in turn sold it again at 220K. The Civic had a few issues (ignitor failed, ignition switch failed, ventilation fan switch failed, windshield cracked when a friend slammed the passenger side door a little firmly), but all-in-all it was a good experience.

As for build quality, neither car really has had any issues to speak of.

As for materials, fit and finish, the '90 (going from memory, of course) maybe felt a little more 'solid,' (probably heavier gauge sheet metal), but conversely, the Civic of that era weighed 250lb less than the GK Fit (base Civic hatch manual vs Fit EX CVT). Fit and finish are comparable.

Fuel economy was probably a wash. We easily got in the low-mid 40s with the Civic (1.5l, 5MT) on the highway and upper-30s everywhere else.

So from the two data points I have experience with, "Honda quality of old" seems to be pretty similar to "Honda quality of today."

YMMV, of course. We didn't have the interwebs back then to share all our gripes, either!

es

Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
My 2015 Fit has been of similar reliability to the only other Honda we've owned (well, two, actually), '89 and '90 Civic hatches. We sold the '89 after a year or so (first baby on the way and we had planned on my wife staying home), and drove the '90 about 165K miles before selling it to my brother, who in turn sold it again at 220K. The Civic had a few issues (ignitor failed, ignition switch failed, ventilation fan switch failed, windshield cracked when a friend slammed the passenger side door a little firmly), but all-in-all it was a good experience.

As for build quality, neither car really has had any issues to speak of.

As for materials, fit and finish, the '90 (going from memory, of course) maybe felt a little more 'solid,' (probably heavier gauge sheet metal), but conversely, the Civic of that era weighed 250lb less than the GK Fit (base Civic hatch manual vs Fit EX CVT). Fit and finish are comparable.

Fuel economy was probably a wash. We easily got in the low-mid 40s with the Civic (1.5l, 5MT) on the highway and upper-30s everywhere else.

So from the two data points I have experience with, "Honda quality of old" seems to be pretty similar to "Honda quality of today."

YMMV, of course. We didn't have the interwebs back then to share all our gripes, either!

es
The best I had were the 89 Civic 3 door, the 2010 Fit and the 2013 CR-V. Zero problems with any of them. 47 mpg with the Civic, and 42 with the new Fit. Bigger, better, faster and still great mileage. Now if it would just stay together.....

Old 10-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Well, no ego involved beyond using most of my real name, which is Kent Finnell. I post openly and accept any blame for my mistakes by not hiding behind a screen name when I blast people, companies, and organizations. I'm also willing to accept what little praise that comes my way.

I have not and will not erect a shrine to Honda, I do not worship Honda. Any shrine that exists for Honda was erected years ago at the Temple of VTEC and the last time I was there, it too teemed with critics and malcontents.

Constructive criticisms are fine, the key word being "constructive." Tips and DIY projects are useful. Constant moaning, groaning, and general bitching serve no real purpose.

Now a non-automotive stingray is a bottom-dwelling marine ray with a flattened diamond-shaped body and a long poisonous serrated spine at the base of the tail. That you?
So you believe that relating quality experiences is not acceptable. You might wish to review the name of the site. FORUM. It applies to more than diy and tips. So I guess you will just have to live with those who do not subscribe to your views of the limits of the forum. Or, I might add, your views on the use of screen names.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
people hold your horses and tone it down, before i start deleting posts and banning people.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
recalls

So recalls seem to be par the course these days.....not sure which auto manufacturer hasn't recieved one.....part of the problem are the vendors they source parts from and others the result of cost-cutting which is what just about every business is doing to maximize profits.....

Honda messed up in that they had a range of acceptability for density for the main shaft and allowed production with said density at the lower end....

meaning this new fit wasnt meant to be the little Honda that turns over 200k that we have come to love and expect from the big H.....

this is disappointing but falls in line with what every manufacturer is doing, gone are the days of dependability as they hope buyers treat their cars like their other electronic devices and upgrade to get new tech.

I hate this trend....other cars I have been looking at to replace this fit are either using CVT, Turbos, and tons of electronics that put a question mark on the makes reliability down the road.

We should be disappointed and express that disappointment as Honda fans...no need for us to continue to buy their product if they continue like this, though I'm not sure which manufacturer to go to....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what's up with Honda?