3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disappointed after 2015 Fit purchase and trapped. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Disappointed after 2015 Fit purchase and trapped. (long)

I bought a used 2015 Honda Fit EX with 17,000 miles on it on 9/21/15 at a local Honda dealer (Honda of Fishers). It was not a certified used Honda, but I had assumed (my fault I guess) that it had at least gone under some kind of reconditioning process, you know, change the oil, check tires, brakes, any body damage, missing pieces, etc... Anyway, I needed a car better on gas than my current car and I had bought 2 new Honda's from this dealer previously through the years and noticed they had this 2015 EX in blue on the lot. It was late in the evening and I admit I did not look the car over as well as I should, it was dark out and I had assumed since it was a one owner with a clean Carfax and that I was buying it from my trusted Honda dealer that I should be ok.

We worked the deal and I went home, on my drive home - I live 1.5 hours from the dealer I bought it from - I noticed the rear road rough over bumps, etc.. and that the brakes did not feel good in the front. It was late, so I called my salesman in the morning and let him know. They complained a bit, but offered to turn the front rotors and to put 2 new tires on the rear. It had the original Bridgestone tires on it and it also appeared that the first owner had put new tires on the front. So I made the long trip back and waited for the repair. After that I went on vacation for a week and a half, left my car in the garage and when we I get back I went to go wash the car thoroughly the next day. What I had noticed while drying it off that on the driver's side rear rocker panel area in front of the rear wheel looked off. I had noticed some scratches that had been touched up and the more I had looked at the lower rocker panel I could tell that it had poorly repaired and filled with some body filler and than it looked like someone took blue fingernail polish to touch it up. Of course I didn't see it when I bought it, it's hard to notice to anyone not under the car I guess. So I called the dealer again and also even tracked down the previous owner who said he didn't know about the damage. The dealer said they would try to work with me on it, and I happened to be in the city of the dealer so I stopped by for them to look at it. They basically said it was on me and that I didn't look over the car well enough and should have noticed it before I bought it. I kind of chuckled and complained enough to talk to the GM of the dealer and he basically said the same thing and that it was my fault and used cars are sold as-is. I understand that to an extent, but this was a 2015 Honda from a Honda dealer that was bought new there as well and I felt that they didn't look the car over well enough before it was put on the lot. I left unhappy from the dealer at a loss, expecting that I'll have to pay $400 or more to have this damage fixed back to new. Then yesterday I noticed underneath the car that the engine cover that is under the oil filter area was missing. I literally laughed out loud at this one as I knew if I called the dealer back again they'd laugh at me.

So here I am with what I feel is a POS 2015 Honda Fit that I don't even want to drive and yes I can understand that I may be partially to blame that I didn't effin' go over the car with a fine tooth comb, but I guess my expectations were higher from the Honda dealer and now I don't know what to do.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Sadly that is a risk that we all take in the used market. It is kind of shady that their salesman did not point out the areas of concern while you were purchasing it. Especially as you are a repeat customer with two other cars already under your belt.

When I purchased my truck, they went out of their way to point out every scratch and dent before I signed the papers so I knew what I was getting into. And I had never been to the dealership before and likely never will again. (It was a great experience but I drove about 8 hours one way to get the truck I wanted. I don't really hold to dealer loyalty and will go where the savings are the best.)

For your situation, I would express your displeasure with the GM and tell him they have lost a loyal customer. If they don't want to take care of you, there are hundreds of other dealers out there the next time you are looking to get a car. It may also help to leave a negative review on their website. If you can draw enough attention and they feel like it could prevent a future sale, they may be more helpful.

Hope everything turns out alright and you start to love your new car. Even with all the negative comments about quality, some made by me, I am very happy with our 15 Ex m6.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
You feel you are partially to blame? Hah! You are completely to blame. It is completely your fault for not having a pre-purchase inspection. The fact it was bought from a Honda dealer is irrelevant. The only thing you can do is fix up the broken bits on your own dime. Or you can try selling the car to another clueless shopper.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
You'll need to spend some money, but it does not sound like anything mechanical is off. Spend $400 for rocker panels and another $400 for the bottom engine splash shield. The engine splash shield is prone to coming off after an oil change because of weak fasteners. This has happened to many owners, so you're not alone. Even with a pre-delivery inspection there are things that might be missed.

How is the engine and transmission? Have you checked the VIN for any recalls? Did you get a CVT or 6MT? Unless you have something mechanical going bad, the Fit should just chug along like your other Hondas.

Dealers have a well deserved bad reputation for cheating people. In a way I appreciate when I meet a slimy sales person, because I'd rather know early if the business is unethical or provides bad customer service. Maybe because of your good experience with your Honda dealer, or just good luck, you let your guard down. New and used parts of the business are completely different. I don't trust anyone at any dealership, and assume they will cheat me at any opportunity. Lesson learned, we move forward, but the Fit is still a good car.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM
I hate to say but It's your fault. The car is only a year old, only has 17K miles and yet it's not certified used car. That alone is already a red flag! A Honda dealership will always certify this car unless there's something that cost too much to repair.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
can we ask how much the OP paid?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM
You didn't say how much you paid for the car, but considering that you went far from home I'll bet you got what you thought was a great deal. Unfortunately, great deals often come with downsides.

Apparently, the defects you mention are cosmetic in nature, and are slight enough that you didn't notice them when you bought it. Why then should you worry about them? You can't see them from inside and the car drives the same either way.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Never buy a car in the dark or in the rain.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Hey! Welcome to how I feel about my Fit but I bought mine new!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear, op. best would be to just fix it one by one until you are satisfied (unfortunately at your expense), or as soon as you get the title in the mail, just trade it in for another car.

I guess look at it as a lessons learned.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:21 AM
That's the reason I hesitate to buy used, unless I'm buying something old (5+ years in my book) and so have the expectation the car will just need a lot of work. In your case, you expected something new since it was a current model year car. The worst part for you is that you probably could've just bought a new model for not that much more, given the depreciation of these cars.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gorilla
That's the reason I hesitate to buy used, unless I'm buying something old (5+ years in my book) and so have the expectation the car will just need a lot of work. In your case, you expected something new since it was a current model year car. The worst part for you is that you probably could've just bought a new model for not that much more, given the depreciation of these cars.
That's why I bought new. The asking price for 2013 Fits was close to 2015s, plus I was going to be charged a higher interest rate if I bought used versus new. When I ran the numbers, it wasn't going to be that much more for a new car with a fresh warranty.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
That's why I bought new. The asking price for 2013 Fits was close to 2015s, plus I was going to be charged a higher interest rate if I bought used versus new. When I ran the numbers, it wasn't going to be that much more for a new car with a fresh warranty.
I did consider a used 2013 Fit, but as the 2015s were out and HP went from 117 to 130, plus a supposedly stiffer chassis and now a 6MT (this turned out to not be an advantage), the 2013 discounted price just did not make it worthwhile. I found a 2013 Fit Sport 5MT with 70k km but was close in price to a 2016 Fit base. I went new with warranty.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glhboy
I bought a used 2015 Honda Fit EX with 17,000 miles on it on 9/21/15 at a local Honda dealer (Honda of Fishers). It was not a certified used Honda, but I had assumed (my fault I guess) that it had at least gone under some kind of reconditioning process, you know, change the oil, check tires, brakes, any body damage, missing pieces, back again they'd laugh at me.

So here I am with what I feel is a POS 2015 Honda Fit that I don't even want to drive and yes I can understand that I may be partially to blame that I didn't effin' go over the car with a fine tooth comb, but I guess my expectations were higher from the Honda dealer and now I don't know what to do.
I would say it is honda or any agency fault. They are selling a bad product regarding if is used or not. I think you could lawsuit them. At least here in mexico you could do ir because of selling a defective product and the sells person did;t told you about that is called sell with bad motive. she my english is not that advice to be specific in that specific law terms.

Get a lawyer(if is something you can afford) there are student lawyers that could give you some advice about that.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 PM
There is a huge difference between a used vehicle with blemishes and a defective vehicle. Even in 2015, buyer's remorse is no reason to call in the lawyers.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
be like this guy

Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by pinoyBalot
I hate to say but It's your fault. The car is only a year old, only has 17K miles and yet it's not certified used car. That alone is already a red flag! A Honda dealership will always certify this car unless there's something that cost too much to repair.
I so agree....

Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 AM
This poster I think speaks to a bigger question, do you really want to buy a used economy car? I wouldn't and that's why I bought new. The price is already so low for such a great car.

And economy cars get thrashed by their owners. I mean I thrash the snot out of my Fit. We were off roading it to a gold mine 2 weeks ago. If I had a luxury car I wouldn't have been doing that!

Look closely at economy cars out in the wild, they're always dinged up and driven hard with lots of interior use. That's why you get it in the first place. It's cheap new!

Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
I usually buy new simply to avoid other peoples' problems. That said, I don't buy luxury cars, either, simply because I am, by nature, frugal (at least about some things, like cars). Also, being a biker, I prefer small cars.

That said, I've never "thrashed the snot" out of any vehicle I've owned. I've always treated every car (and motorcycle) like it's the last one I'll ever buy. Someday, I'll be right.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
And economy cars get thrashed by their owners.
They do if they are immature and haven't learned to take care of their property. That's why you see "adult driven" in a lot of used car ads.

Whoever next owns our Scion is going to get a heck of a car. Well-maintained, no dings on the body, runs perfectly. I use it as intended, I don't "thrash" it. I have dirt bikes and a dune buggy for that.

Quick Reply: Disappointed after 2015 Fit purchase and trapped. (long)