3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone own a 16' JVIN FIT, yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone own a 16' JVIN FIT, yet?

Wondering how the build quality is on these cars. I'm picking mine up (16 EX CVT) in a few weeks. I've seen the YT vid on this issue, but would like to hear from actual owners instead of a Honda salesman.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
I saw my first "J" VIN Fit LX at the dealership the other day. It was right off the truck. Looks just like every other Fit as far as I can tell.

Front bumper fit tight to the fenders (but then, so did mine when it was new). Left side of dash alignment wasn't too bad, but not perfect either.

Couldn't tell much else as the car was dirty from shipping and still had the protective film on it.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Have had white J-vin LX CVT for a week today

but now I need to go home and look at the left side dash alignment. Bumper seams are nice and tight, for now. In other news I took wife's 2014 Civic (2-vin) to dealer for the CVT recall. Service writer threatened a 2.5 hour wait but I was out in less than an hour.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
For any that might not have not seen this vid, here is a comparison of the JVIN FITs.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 PM
I'm coming up on having my J-VIN 16 EX CVT for 2 weeks. I couldn't be happier with it. No bumper alignment issues that I can find. I can't see any issues with the dash. Would love to see pics of the issues people had with the 15's so I could truly compare.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:12 PM
m_x
This review is completely subjective to this guy who SELL HONDAS AND HAS '16's to move. "The door feels heavier, but it's actually the same weight to the oz." Um... ok, so what did you just tell us? Nothing objective.

It has always felt like the whole "Hecho en Mexico" stems around cultural stereotypes, plus a few bad apple cars that made everyone here nit-pick. Mexicans are lazy and take siestas and Japanese people work 30-hour work days honoring their families by building impeccable cars(sarcasm). Oh, and everyone that bought a Mexican Fit is driving a rattle trap that will lose the front bumper, the engine shield, chip, scratch, have MISALIGNED DASHBOARDS and ultimately rust apart through the rear wheel wells before your 3rd oil change.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
That is your take on this, not mine. I'm looking for actual feedback from owners, not a salesman as I stated in my original post. No trolls, please.

Originally Posted by m_x
This review is completely subjective to this guy who SELL HONDAS AND HAS '16's to move. "The door feels heavier, but it's actually the same weight to the oz." Um... ok, so what did you just tell us? Nothing objective.

It has always felt like the whole "Hecho en Mexico" stems around cultural stereotypes, plus a few bad apple cars that made everyone here nit-pick. Mexicans are lazy and take siestas and Japanese people work 30-hour work days honoring their families by building impeccable cars(sarcasm). Oh, and everyone that bought a Mexican Fit is driving a rattle trap that will lose the front bumper, the engine shield, chip, scratch, have MISALIGNED DASHBOARDS and ultimately rust apart through the rear wheel wells before your 3rd oil change.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:09 PM
m_x
That's my take on 2 years of reading these posts.

Good luck with your Fit. I'm positive it will be satisfactory wherever it was built.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Ultimately, it comes down to whether Honda corporation pays closer attention to quality at the plant right up the street or an ocean away in a 3rd world country. No matter how much they say quality is the same, simply working in a single language and philosophy will invariably produce better results. That's why Japanese manufacturers tend to produce their flagship and luxury cars in Japan.

By Honda's own admission, the Japanese plant is more highly automated than the Mexican plant which relies more on cheaper hand labor. Robots have to be supplied with precise parts to work, humans have more flexibility and tendency to "bash to fit".

We're really lucky that sales volume of the USDM Fit has been low enough not to warrant production in North America. We get a little respite with the JEM Fits coming in now due to Honda's desire to build the more profitable HRV, but the end may come soon.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I saw a bunch of '16s at the dealer yesterday when I took my '15 in to have the dashboard piece replaced.

The only JVIN Fit on the lot had a perfectly aligned front bumper (no gaps/sag), but I noticed it had the same issue with the dashboard and the sagging rear wheel liner that my '15 has. The rest of the '16s were MIM and had all the same quality issues as the '15s. No improvement it seems with the 3rd gens.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Ultimately, it comes down to whether Honda corporation pays closer attention to quality at the plant right up the street or an ocean away in a 3rd world country. No matter how much they say quality is the same, simply working in a single language and philosophy will invariably produce better results. That's why Japanese manufacturers tend to produce their flagship and luxury cars in Japan.

By Honda's own admission, the Japanese plant is more highly automated than the Mexican plant which relies more on cheaper hand labor. Robots have to be supplied with precise parts to work, humans have more flexibility and tendency to "bash to fit".

We're really lucky that sales volume of the USDM Fit has been low enough not to warrant production in North America. We get a little respite with the JEM Fits coming in now due to Honda's desire to build the more profitable HRV, but the end may come soon.
It was the JDM Fit, albeit the hybrid, that underwent 5 recalls and led to the pay cut for Honda's executives.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
That video was mostly useless as others have indicated.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 PM
i dont know what to look for, but ive been happy with mine. i had one reserved and picked it up the day after it came off the truck

Old 11-21-2015, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tralalog
i dont know what to look for, but ive been happy with mine. i had one reserved and picked it up the day after it came off the truck
Look for the VIN number. If it begins with a J, it's made in Japan and if it begins with a 2, it's made in mexico.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yours, no matter where it was made.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x

My japanese GD: Barely any rust after 8 years. Chinese GE, rusty crash bar welds after 8months #truestory

Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by kkim
Look for the VIN number. If it begins with a J, it's made in Japan and if it begins with a 2, it's made in mexico.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yours, no matter where it was made.
i know it was made in japan. i meant i dont know what defects to look for. no recalls are up on the honda site

Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 AM
Unfortunately mine is made is in Mexico.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vjaramillo
Unfortunately mine is made is in Mexico.
I am mexican. So built in mexico is a bad thing, eh?

Many cars you don't know and parts are made in mexico I would say 60 to 80 percent of parts are made in mexico and then they are assembled in the usa. There are a lot of japanese brands that made parts form other hondas, toyotas, and even tesla(well it is not reliable but made a point).

So no made is mexico means nothing it is just a stereotype. Not cool.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Yep...for this car it is.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by kkim
Look for the VIN number. If it begins with a J, it's made in Japan and if it begins with a 2, it's made in mexico.....
Actually if it starts with a 3 its made in Mexico, 2 is for Canada.

I love my 15 EX and it was from Celaya. Granted there were some initial production issues but they seem to be subsiding. Its a fairly new plant down there so its to be expected, and my dealer fixed any defects and recalls for me free of charge, no major issues ::knock on wood:

Quick Reply: Anyone own a 16' JVIN FIT, yet?