3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015/2016 Honda Fit, or 2016 Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 PM
2015/2016 Honda Fit, or 2016 Mazda 3?

Hey folks. I'm not new here I have been a member for about 5 years now but I can't for the life of me remember my old user account, or password so I'm starting fresh. I mean really fresh, because just two months ago I totaled my second Honda Fit 2013. I was T-boned by a Honda Pilot that preceded to smash me into a huge green light pole. I suffered a huge concussion that has caused me confusion on which new car I should by. A 2015/2016 Honda Fit, or a 2016 Mazda 3.
I have checked both of these cars out extensively, and for the first time I can not make up my mind over which one I like better. I know most of the pro's and con's of both vehicles I think.
I figured it would be good to get more opinion's. I don't care if they are biased, lol.
Maybe there is something I'm overlooking that can be mentioned to me directly.
I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but one of these cars I intend to buy so I have to compare!
I think I would enjoy the 2016 Mazda 2 but I'm pretty sure you can't even get that in NA. Also I saw the Civic Type R coming out in 2018. That is to far away, and probably too pricey.
Which to choose!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I test drove the Mazda 3 and chose the Fit over it. The Mazda 3 is a very nice car, but I felt I got more for my money with the Fit. Also, I really didn't like that computer screen sitting on the dashboard. It looked like an add-on.
I was wanting to check out the Mazda 2 as well, but I guess they felt like it couldn't compete in sub-compact class.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Kmac66
I test drove the Mazda 3 and chose the Fit over it. The Mazda 3 is a very nice car, but I felt I got more for my money with the Fit. Also, I really didn't like that computer screen sitting on the dashboard. It looked like an add-on.
I was wanting to check out the Mazda 2 as well, but I guess they felt like it couldn't compete in sub-compact class.
Hi, thanks very much for your reply! Could you specify some of the things you liked in the Fit over the Mazda 3?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
The Mazda3 has better pickup and nicer handling, but is by far more expensive than the Fit. The Mazda2, which cannot be bought in US/Canada, is now the 2016 Toyota Yaris or Scion iA. I did test drive the Mazda3 and it is lovely to drive, no doubt. I sat in the Mazda2 and it was really too small, about half the size of the Fit in the back, and rear passenger legroom is sparse.

The Fit is a budget car, built to a price point. Fit and finish is not perfect, as you can easily see from this forum. In manual shift I find the Fit pretty fun to drive, and it gets really good gas mileage, much better than the Mazda3. I bought the Fit because it was better value and suited our family's needs. The rear of the fit is truly magical. When I don't think something will fit in the back, it does. Two bicycles are no problem.

The Mazda3 makes the IIHS safe car list.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 01-19-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
There is some misinformation in this thread.

The Mazda 2 is, in fact, sold in the US as the Scion iA. I test drove one last night - it's a lot of car for the money in my opinion. Definitely worth a test drive.

And it is an IIHS top safety pick+, as is the Mazda 3 both outscoring the Honda Fit

Vehicle details
Vehicle details

The Scion iA (Mazda 2) comes with a forward camera with low speed collision braking system as standard. I believe it's an option on the Mazda 3. Really, the iA has some impressive kit for its msrp.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Reinvention
There is some misinformation in this thread.

The Mazda 2 is, in fact, sold in the US as the Scion iA. I test drove one last night - it's a lot of car for the money in my opinion. Definitely worth a test drive.

And it is an IIHS top safety pick+, as is the Mazda 3 both outscoring the Honda Fit

Vehicle details
Vehicle details

The Scion iA (Mazda 2) comes with a forward camera with low speed collision braking system as standard. I believe it's an option on the Mazda 3. Really, the iA has some impressive kit for its msrp.
A friend bought an iA on my recommendation after trying out a number of small sedans (he wanted a sedan). It is really impressive in quality and chassis control, lots of features, and a low price. I was also impressed. If only Toyota hadn't mangled the front end appearance.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
The Mazda2, which cannot be bought in North America,
False, I live in mexico and I cna buy a mazda 2 and mexico is in noth america. In fact there a lot of brands here that are not sold in the USA not sure why.

MAzda2 is cool to drive as all mazdas. Scion I do;t even know that brand. They are not sold in Mexico.

Mazda 3 the 2.5 in manual HB it is the car to go if you like fun to drive goo with fuel (check fuelly.com) And it is so gorgeous!!!
Fit has had a lot of problems as mentioned above. But is cheap to run, fuel efficent.

So it depend more in the cons because both cars are terrible.

Honda fit cons-> not pretty, noisy, ulta unconfotable seats, ride a little hard and choppy, Bad estereo, unreliable(the new one), cvt not as nice as auto.
Mazda 3 cons-> stereo look like they didnt thik it though and they add it in the last moment, not asfuel efficent(but in the usa oil prices is almost free). Not as space wonder.

If I had the money I would go without hesitation to the mazda 3 2.5 hb. If not the civic 2016 is an awesome car I would go with it. Or the kia forte(but is the last year before a the next gen). So mazda 3 2.5 hb or honda civic are the way to go. Can;t go worng with either one.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for sharing the great info guys. I definitely want an HB, so the Scion ia is out of the question. I hear fantastic things about the Mazda but one of the concerns I have is reliability of the Mazda 3 compared to the Honda Fit. Is the Mazda 3 close in reliability would you say?
The price point might come in to play if I'm truly not getting that much more for the money in the Mazda 3.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Damp,

I've owned several Mazda's over the past 11 years. By and large they are solid cars - where Subaru offers the most utility and safety per dollar as their niche, I believe Mazda offers the most 'fun to drive' per dollar in their respective market contenders. I wouldn't sweat going with a new Mazda 3. Car and Driver is in the midst of their long term (40,000 mile) test with a 2.5 liter Mazda 3 hatch and so far not a single hitch:

2015 Mazda 3 2.5L Hatchback Long-Term Test Update ? Review ? Car and Driver

They also have nice things to say about the lesser 2.0 liter engine as well:

2016 Mazda 3 2.0L Manual Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

My only reservation with Mazda's is their propensity for rusting in wet climates. Every manufacture cuts corners here and there to protect margins - Mazda seems to cut on materials that prevent rusting (paint, hot-dipping, etc.). So if you are in snow/wet climate locale, doing routine thorough cleanings and dryings and getting undercarriage treatment would be advisable.

If you are worried about reliability, longevity and depreciation - stick with a Honda or Toyota product, however, as they will provide a peace of mind no other brand can. Their reputation will outlive any quality shortcomings that a board of [vocal] enthusiasts may bring up. That reputation is based upon the statistical likelihood - you will get a good car that comes from a lineage with a proven one to two decade plus track record. Some things are hyped and some are earned.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM
^Thanks for this, very good points to take into consideration.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
When I was looking for a replacement for my former '13 VW Beetle, I ended up with a short list that included the Fit, Mazda 3, Scion tC and Xb, Mini and Kia Soul (I wrote up my selection process here).

The Soul was, well, 'soulless.' Felt and drove like a cheap car.

The salescritter at Scion couldn't seem less interested in selling me a car (the tC was my #2 short-short list option against the Fit). Folks told me later that Toyota Service departments don't want anything to do with Scion (nor, apparently, do the salespeople).

We have no local Mini dealer, so I never even test-drove one. It was more than I wanted to spend anyway.

The M3 was also on my short list. Really liked the way it drove (I'd give it the edge over the Fit), but it had a really goofy and small screen for the radio and I simply couldn't get past the front-end styling. I have two co-workers that drive M3s, and they both said dealer service leaves a *lot* to be desired.

35,000 miles and 16 months later, I'm still happy I chose the Fit.

es

Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 PM
fit v mazda

I have check out both cars.. the fit seems more practical, better gas mileage but is still fun to drive. The Mazda is more on the sporty side but less practical and of course less gas mileage. I chose the fit. and have been very happy with it. 100k miles now.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
If you are worried about reliability, longevity and depreciation - stick with a Honda or Toyota product, however, as they will provide a peace of mind no other brand can. Their reputation will outlive any quality shortcomings that a board of [vocal] enthusiasts may bring up. That reputation is based upon the statistical likelihood - you will get a good car that comes from a lineage with a proven one to two decade plus track record. Some things are hyped and some are earned.
According to consumer reports honda drop reliability from 3 place to 8 and the next year it is going to drop even more with all the cvt problems, info systems, fit new plant. So reliable in honda fit is not in pair with old hondas fit.

Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports

100k miles now.????? WTF. Are you a taxi or something like that. I feel mine old and it only has 5k. Do you drive a cvt or manual and the services diy or dealership? I am so intrigued now

I put a link of consumer reports but I do not know if I uploaded correctly. So if it appers is consumer reports reliablity and test stuff.
2015/2016 Honda Fit, or 2016 Mazda 3?-screen-shot-2016-01-19-11.35.41-pm.png

Old 01-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Welp, I'm going to have a Fit! It's decided. I never even got my fill out of the last two Fits I've owned. Also, I know for a fact that I will like it. I'm sure the Mazda 3 is a great car but the spaciousness that the Fit provides is fantastic. My dog loves walking around the entire back with the rear seats folded down. Also I like the design of the front end of the Fit way more. That one might seem trivial, but it matters to me. It's a lot cheaper to.
Hopefully I will be going down to the Honda dealership tomorrow and pick up a new 2016 Orchid White Pearl Honda Fit.
I will keep you guys updated!

Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
...The salescritter at Scion couldn't seem less interested in selling me a car...Folks told me later that Toyota Service departments don't want anything to do with Scion (nor, apparently, do the salespeople)....
The salespeople don't like Scions because the retail price is fixed and they only get a fixed commission. Toyotas are sold conventionally so there is a chance of a big payoff from sucker buyers.

As far as the service department is concerned, Scions are Toyotas. The warranty and parts supply is Toyota and Scions are sold as Toyotas outside of the US. The only reason for the separate Scion marque is to attract US Gen. X people into the showrooms.

Scion was a great idea at first, as they gave us access to Japanese-market cars mildly modified for the US market. The original xAs and xBs were incredibly useful and reliable. However, they replaced those cars with bloated Americanized versions in a few short years. Sales plummeted and the marque has been relatively moribund since.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
According to consumer reports honda drop reliability from 3 place to 8 and the next year it is going to drop even more with all the cvt problems, info systems, fit new plant. So reliable in honda fit is not in pair with old hondas fit.

Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports

100k miles now.????? WTF. Are you a taxi or something like that. I feel mine old and it only has 5k. Do you drive a cvt or manual and the services diy or dealership? I am so intrigued now

I put a link of consumer reports but I do not know if I uploaded correctly. So if it appers is consumer reports reliablity and test stuff.
Attachment 2788
I take these CR reports with a grain of salt. Quarterly, bi-annual and even annual hype tends to smooth out over a 5-7 year span and we see where the true median is. Everyone loves to shout the sky is falling.

Based upon volume and reputation - I don't lose sleep over night wondering if my Honda product is going to grenade. I'm far more anxious about the DSG transmission, water pump (replaced 3x under warranty), window regulator, oil/air separator (replaced under warranty), and coil pack (replaced under warranty) in my GTI. And yet Audi ranks #3? Heh. Or Mini in the top 10?! Woof...

But data is data, and if the Fit or Honda is slipping - well, there it is and thanks for linking the source.

Regarding resale - the market perception (not necessarily reality) to reliability is the key component to value retention/reversion. What a typical buyer will pay, regardless of data behind it, is protected with Toyota and Honda products. So while the Mazda products may, in fact, be more reliable over a 5 year/60,000 mile ownership period - it will depreciate more compared apples to apples with the Honda/Toyota products. Granted this is regional specific. Edmunds cost to own calculator has a '15 Fit 5 year depreciation at ($7,552) and '15 Mazda 3 at ($10,318). With nearly a $7,000 delta between the car after 5 years including purchase price. Subject to change pending any future scandal - but look how much the stuck accelerator did for Toyota's value

2015 Mazda 3 Hatchback: True Cost to Own | Edmunds
2015 Honda Fit Hatchback: True Cost to Own | Edmunds

I'm currently looking at CPO Fit's and it's a little unbelievable how well these cars hold their value. 2013 with 30,000 miles base model ask $13k+ A new 2016 LX manual goes for $15,3xx according to TrueCar. Maybe I'm jaded from VW value depreciation but I expect more than a 15% discount on a 3 year old car used car.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
...I'm currently looking at CPO Fit's and it's a little unbelievable how well these cars hold their value. 2013 with 30,000 miles base model ask $13k+ A new 2016 LX manual goes for $15,3xx according to TrueCar. Maybe I'm jaded from VW value depreciation but I expect more than a 15% discount on a 3 year old car used car.
This is exactly why I bought a new 2016. The 2013s that I could find were going for $13k, not too far from a new Fit. I did not think it was worthwhile buying the 3 year old car. The 2016s have 130hp, not that much more than the 2013's 117hp, but it is an improvement. The Fit has also evolved since the 2013 model.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm going to a Honda dealership today to hopefully come home with a 2016 Fit EX.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Welp, I now own a 2016 white Honda Fit EX. I just got back from the dealership. I got up and went to walk twice before they pulled me back in with a deal I could live with.
This was the first time I went to this particular Honda dealership and they were very professional, nice, and straight forward.
I will post up pics in the 3rd Generation GK Photo's thread as soon as I can.
Thanks again for everyone's help in offering suggestions, and details for this purchase.

Last edited by dampcurse; 01-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Congratulations, and welcome to the family!

es

Quick Reply: 2015/2016 Honda Fit, or 2016 Mazda 3?