3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Door Handle Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
I also got the notice over the weekend and the website still doesn't reflect it.

Sad to see that damage and also hear from others about grease, scratches and what not.

Does anyone have the Honda TSB on this one? I would like to see what is involved and what is going to potentially get messed with. From what I've seen on this forum, this doesn't look like a simple job for their typical amateur mechanics.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1331708

This is what I have on my ticket:

8310B0 Product Update Campaign (6BC/JW3-JW4)
Inspect/Replace Door S/B: 15-088 S/B:15-090

Part Kit is 06721-T5R-A01

Old 02-08-2016, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1331708

This is what I have on my ticket:

8310B0 Product Update Campaign (6BC/JW3-JW4)
Inspect/Replace Door S/B: 15-088 S/B:15-090

Part Kit is 06721-T5R-A01
Thanks, looks like the HRV forum is reporting the same recall.

New Recall - Honda HR-V Forum

Not finding the actual service bulletin contents, but you probably have to login to their system (or be Honda Pro Jason HRV owner) to get the exclusive details.....

EDIT: found this site which has some, but not all: http://www.hondaproblems.com/tsbs/Fit/2015/

Last edited by tbFit; 02-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Both passenger doors have nicks and the front has about a 1.5" straight scratch on it. The nicks can probably be fixed by touch up paint. The 1 inch scratch is going to look amateur with touch up paint
Got a call from the service manager that I had reported the grease stains to. He said bring it in and we'll take care of it. So I guess I get to waste another of my days off sitting at the dealership... I'm hoping they fix properly.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Also received recall letter today. I already emailed my Daughter in Knoxville, and told her that on her next trip home, we would visit the dealer and deal with this. Looking forward to free hotdogs and popcorn for lunch! For some reason, Crest Honda here in Nashville has the best hotdogs.

Thanks Honda for giving me an excuse to have my Daughter return home for a visit!
Just got my notice last week and made my appointment for today but cancelled because of light snow and low temps and high winds. I probably could have made it since I learned long ago how to drive in the white stuff, but since not everyone here has learned that valuable lesson. Too many hills and overpasses between me and Crest that I opted out. Next week.

Well that ended my Honda's recall virginity.

Oh, and ditto on the Crest hotdogs.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Whats odd is there are no listed recalls on the brackets on honda.com when I lookup my VIN, yet I got a letter in the mail.

Just called to make my appointment for my dealer. They need to get the parts in. They tell me its going to take 3-4 hours to do. Seriously, does anyone know exactly which part they need to replace?? I've taken these doors apart so much its not even funny (audio system upgrade) hell I could likely install the parts faster than they can, doubtful they would let me help them install it.

I'm assuming its these brackets?? I have an EX 6MT 2015, but can't imagine its any different for the USDM trim levels.

Illustration# 4 and 15 for the front doors Part# are 72130-T5A-000 and 72170-T5A-000

Rear doors are illustration#12 and 18. Part#72646-T5A-000 and 72686-T5A-000

Front Doors

Rear Doors:

Removing the inner door skin is cake, two screws and a bunch of plastic clips you can release with a tool from harbor freight. Peel back the weather seal being held in by black goop, unscrew the bracket, reinstall, boom, done, install in reverse, move on to the next door.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 02-09-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 PM
jhn
Yes, that's them. You can see them if you shine a light down the rolled down window. I'd like to do this repair myself as well. I might just clean and rust proof the OE ones and skip the dealer all together.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I also got the letter with nothing posted on the website. However, I note that the website says there are no "safety" recalls so maybe they don't view the door handle issue as a safety issue? Taking my car into the dealer next week. Only took about 24 hours for them to get the parts.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Grease on Windows as well

Originally Posted by lip008
I didn't see this post or I wouldn't of made the new one about my door handle recall. They got the parts in a day and it was only a few hours. My outside handle didn't fall off, but they were sloppy with the grease. It's on my windows now when they get rolled down/up.
Lol same for me. I was like what's this dirt on my driver side window awwww dam it's grease. Then I thought, well at least I know they worked on it and didn't just say they did it.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
May be cake to you, O Master Guitarist/Mechanic/Audio Engineer, but to 10 Thumbs Finnell, a puzzle on par with Einstein's General Theory. But in the interest of full disclosure, where did you get the diagrams. I see the HONDA watermarks. Official on line repair manual? I have one for the Suzuki SX4, bit damned if I'll pay Honda's price to satisfy my idle curiosity.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
They are from the parts catalog. Many sources for access on the web. estore.honda.com to name one.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
May be cake to you, O Master Guitarist/Mechanic/Audio Engineer, but to 10 Thumbs Finnell, a puzzle on par with Einstein's General Theory. But in the interest of full disclosure, where did you get the diagrams. I see the HONDA watermarks. Official on line repair manual? I have one for the Suzuki SX4, bit damned if I'll pay Honda's price to satisfy my idle curiosity.
Bernardiparts.com is where I got them from. Yeah seriously one bolt for the front door bracks and two for the rears. I like the dealer I go to, and I know a few of the techs out there who would likely do the work. Even if I brought it down with the inner door skins already removed and leave them on the back seat, it would save them some disassembly time so I wouldn't have to wait as long. In addition I also have an appointment for the dealer to install the block heater plug but not the wiring, that I can do myself.

The brackets are not diffuclt, its simply labor intensive. my guess that its not a saftey recall, but looking at my brackets today on all 4 doors I do see surface rust, so they will need to be changed sooner rather than later. I want to smack the material planner who thought non galvanized steel would be a good idea to use in a high moisture environment. Idiots.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 02-10-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Just to be clear, the 06721-T5R-A01 kit contains four brackets, to service all four doors? Can't tell from dealer websites, doing part number searches.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
I had mine done today, plus an alignment and CVT fluid change (work schedule is eating my lunch this year, otherwise I would have done that myself).

I was in and out in just over two hours.

es

Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Door Handle Replacement.

Originally Posted by James Butler
I called last week to get an early apointment for recall. It is a long drive from the next county to the Honda dealership. I set up for Monday morning at 7:00 AM. I got up a 5:30 and headed in. I was first in line at 6:45 at the service door before they opened them. They took my car at 7:00 AM. I went to the wainting room and waited for 5 hours until they came to get me to tell me it was complete. I got the paper work but before I got out they told me they broke off a door panel piece doing the work. They decided they would have to order a replacement and I would have to come back in for the install. I saw lots of cars come in get fixed and go before mine was finished. I looks like they do the paying customers first and warrenty when they get some free time. What good is an appointment? Another trip in in the future for me. Will see how it comes out. Here is a picture of the rear door missing the part. Watch out they did not crack these on your car and leave them in place. Mine was completely broken off.

James

This is why I'm not replacing my door handles. I worry about trim pieces and clips getting broken. Then I have to wait until the broken pieces are ordered.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I had mine done today, plus an alignment and CVT fluid change (work schedule is eating my lunch this year, otherwise I would have done that myself).

I was in and out in just over two hours.

es
Off topic but what was the mileage for the CVT fluid change? I thought you were around 36k in another thread. Did the MM say it needed change at that mileage? What did the dealer charge? Just trying to get an idea on what to expect. Thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Off topic but what was the mileage for the CVT fluid change? I thought you were around 36k in another thread. Did the MM say it needed change at that mileage? What did the dealer charge? Just trying to get an idea on what to expect. Thanks
My MM had not come on for the CVT service, but my thought is that I'll change it about every 35K miles, or three times per 100K (unless something bad happens, I plan to keep the car for 200K).

Dealer cost for the change was $130.

es

Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
This is why I'm not replacing my door handles. I worry about trim pieces and clips getting broken. Then I have to wait until the broken pieces are ordered.
They should not have to remove that small corner trim piece. The tech likely botched it when removing the inner door skin. By botch i mean tanked the skin off to release the plastic clips.

My dealership wont give me the parts to do the work myself. Bummer.

Being that its not a safety recall, I don't see why I couldn't order the galvanized parts from Bernardi parts and install myself at my leisure.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Being that its not a safety recall, I don't see why I couldn't order the galvanized parts from Bernardi parts and install myself at my leisure.
That's exactly what I did this morning. I'm much more confident that working at my leisure in my warm, well-lighted garage, the outcome will be more satisfactory than sitting for half a day at the dealer while their "factory-trained" technician tugs at the panels. If I make any mistakes, I don't have far to go to find the guilty party . . .

Last edited by cookiemech; 02-11-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by cookiemech
That's exactly what I did this morning. I'm much more confident that working at my leisure in my warm, well-lighted garage, the outcome will be more satisfactory than sitting for half a day at the dealer while their "factory-trained" technician tugs at the panels. If I make any mistakes, I don't have far to go to find the guilty party . . .
Did you order from Bernardi or another Honda dealer for the brackets? Can you confirm they are galvanized?

If thats the case that's exactly what I'm going to do too. I dont have a garage, but I can stand to wait till the spring. I actually like my dealer they have been good to me, but this job I'd rather do myself. I'll throw darts at Honda's QC managers picture while sipping on a home brew Imperial Stout after I'm done.

Quick Reply: Door Handle Recall