3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cvt issues in fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Cvt issues in fit

Is the cvt in the fit proving to be reliable ? Have not found a lot of information. Problems.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ron3
Is the cvt in the fit proving to be reliable ? Have not found a lot of information. Problems.
There has been a recall already to reprogram it. Older hondas fit with cvt has a lot of problems when high milage is present. Check it in youtube. Newer cvt still reliable but future will tell. If you want reliability remember not to buy first year gen car. Wait at least one year. Mid refresh should be by 2017 so there you go.

Here is CR talking about reliability.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
Since the third generation was started in 2015, I. Would think the 2016 models would be ok. That is the second year of production.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
I know there is at least one member on here that has over 100k on his CVT equipped Fit. HarryHoudini or something to that effect.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Like it or not it appears all the car companies are going to cvt transmission and I think I would rather take my chances with a Japan built cvt.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I know there is at least one member on here that has over 100k on his CVT equipped Fit. HarryHoudini or something to that effect.
Yup, found it, for anyone interested: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...es-update.html

Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Older hondas fit with cvt has a lot of problems when high milage is present.
What model year would that be?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the cvt was introduced in the fit with the 2015 model year, I may be wrong!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
^^ In the USA, yes, 2015 was the first year.

In other countries, the Jazz had the CVT.

4 cylinder Accords have used a CVT for a few years now, how are they holding up?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'll hit 36,000 miles with my CVT EX sometime in the next week. No issues at all, other than the software reprogramming recall, which has not noticeably affected drivability.

es

Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Nissan has them too. and has had similar scattered issues..

There is a reason snowmobiles carry a spare belt.. LOL

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i bought my wife her cvt 2016' EX back last august. no issue on the cvt.

actually the cvt itself is made in japan, so i was happy to see that.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I'll hit 36,000 miles with my CVT EX sometime in the next week. No issues at all, other than the software reprogramming recall, which has not noticeably affected drivability.

es
I'm with stembridge! 0 issues!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:22 AM
I don't think that the CVTs are having more problems than conventional automatics.

In fact, the potential for failure is somewhat less, as the CVT is a a considerably simpler device. As conventional automatics have increased their number of ratios the number of internal parts has risen and those parts have become smaller and increasingly stressed in order to keep the size and weight of the transmission reasonable.

The CVTs we are getting are second generation designs, as the first generation was only sold outside the US. If these had been a failure Honda wouldn't have continued to use them.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Since the third generation was started in 2015, I. Would think the 2016 models would be ok. That is the second year of production.
As I understand it the GK was introduced in the Asian market in 2014, so the 2016 is actually the third year.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I don't think that the CVTs are having more problems than conventional automatics.

In fact, the potential for failure is somewhat less, as the CVT is a a considerably simpler device. As conventional automatics have increased their number of ratios the number of internal parts has risen and those parts have become smaller and increasingly stressed in order to keep the size and weight of the transmission reasonable.

The CVTs we are getting are second generation designs, as the first generation was only sold outside the US. If these had been a failure Honda wouldn't have continued to use them.
Probably correct out of the box. Honda isn't likely to use something that is going to just croak in the first 80K miles.. The real story will be when enough hit 100K+ miles so the repair history has some body. They have been a disaster for other marques in the past so the industry isn't quite ready for them from a sales perspective.

Manufacturers like them because they are CHEAP to build and for all practical purposes they are disposable. Will be interesting to see how available the parts are for them.. Or if they try and make you buy a sealed unit..

Old 02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
“buy a 2nd year production car” lol. Also, try to buy one made on a Tuesday. the workers would be out of the weekend slumber and its not yet hump day so they are more alert.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
What model year would that be?
I thought the cvt was introduced in the fit with the 2015 model year, I may be wrong!
Honda fit with cvt were introduced in 2001for the first gen fit. Then the second it has cvt as well. So yes cvt have been in cars for a long long time. 15+ in the fit. But it has problems in the long run that the belt loosen. Also in idle it makes the car vibrates(check the accord with cvt). The fit they didn;t have cvt in the USA until 2015.

If you enter other cvt forums in other languages like spanish, portuguese you will notice a problem trend. In fact check other hondas. Here is form aother forum: ""My 2014 Honda Accord Sport was horrible, I brought to Honda twice complaining about the transmission, they once kept it for 4 days and couldn't find anything wrong of course. It almost got me in a wreck 4 times due to the hesitation that it has, I had planned on suing them but then I thought that I don't have the time, I only got 6000 miles out of that junk and I got rid of it, I complained to corporate and spoke with several people from Honda and they just ignored me, I had previously bought 3 Hondas from the same dealership and never again will I buy a Honda as their customer service was terrible and wouldn't help me
""
""
La transmisión patina de ves en cuando
La trasmocion de mi honda fit patina, mas lo hace cuando tiene la reverza puesta... me dijeron que le cambien el aceite de la transmisión y se lo cambie "con el original honda CVT" pero como quiera lo sigue haciendo de ves en cuando... es como que cuando esta en baja. Como que la guagua se queda en neutro... pero desde que la acelero un poquito que las revoluciones pasan de 1000 vuelve y coge el cambio..."">> this kind of problem it is very common in mexico with japanese made Fit. So there are problems in the long run.

Honda fit has little torque and power so issues with that are not as common as other cars. But indeed nothing beats actual metal gears in reliability and repair cost. Also if you buy a cvt to spend less money in gas you may never get the money back.Not at least with oil prices in the usa. It might be worth in other contries like mine.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...id=34855&#tab1

Old 02-19-2016, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Aisin Japan is the mother ship for most Japanese transmissions.

The number of issues I see on the Nissan forums on the Altima's
makes me wonder how intermarried they are with the technology.