3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Yakima Roof Rack Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Yakima Roof Rack Now Available

I just did a check on Yakima's website for a 2015 Fit and they now show a compatible roof rack system. The system uses Baseline Towers (This must be a replacement for Q-Towers), Base Clips 156 (B15-5) and 165 (B66-5), Round Bar SL-Adapters, and of course the round bars. Aerobars are likely available, too, I already own round bars so I didn't select them. This is partially good news as I don't need to buy an entirely new system. I do not know if there is a Q-Clip available for older systems.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Bout time! I had used the Yakima towers and 99 clips and got it to work but you had to be careful so you didn't dimple the roof. I eventually sold that and went with Inno racks which were made to fit.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 PM
You're probably just as well off. I contacted Yakima and there is no Q Clip for the GK Fit, it's only compatible with the Baseline Rack. The tower, clips, and adapters cost $325, but the bomber bars are still usable - an $89 savings off the $404 entire package. The one good thing I noticed is the Yakima Fit/Compatibility Check showed support for 165 lbs with this application. That is a pretty big difference compared to the ~105 lbs load limit of INNO and 132 lbs for Thule. I bought a set of Q99 clips for our 2013 Fit but I haven't had to use them yet. I won't be surprised if when I finally get around to buying a rack for my GK that it's Yakima despite how long it took for a solution with competitors products existed. I like that the their tool indicated 165 lbs. and everything else I own is Yakima.

The fit tool can be found here: Yakima Infolookup. I'm surprised that the Q Towers allow 124 lbs on the MY 2013 Sport and 109 lbs with the Baseline rack. As long as our Frontloaders and Big Stack work and our bikes and kayaks are within the load limit, that's all that matters.

Last edited by GotFitB13; 03-21-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
You're probably just as well off. I contacted Yakima and there is no Q Clip for the GK Fit, it's only compatible with the Baseline Rack. The tower, clips, and adapters cost $325, but the bomber bars are still usable - an $89 savings off the $404 entire package. The one good thing I noticed is the Yakima Fit/Compatibility Check showed support for 165 lbs with this application. That is a pretty big difference compared to the ~105 lbs load limit of INNO and Thule.
I have the Thule roof kit 1751. It's rated at 132 pounds, not 105.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
I have the Thule roof kit 1751. It's rated at 132 pounds, not 105.
Thanks, I made the correction.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Can you guys with roof racks give me an idea of what the MPG difference is with and without the rack, rack + bike/kayak/etc, and without the rack system at all in your personal use?

I'm going to get a rack no question, but I'm wondering if I want to throw down for a fancy hitch mounted system or a Thule/Yakima roof rack system.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
I have the Thule rack and AeroBlade roof bars. Not even a whisper of sound from the rack and haven't seen any effect on my MPG.

For hauling my kayak I chose the Thule Hullavator, but don't keep it attached to the rack when I don't need it. It takes about two minutes to reinstall each one, and about 20 seconds to remove, so it's no big deal.

Also have Thule locks on the rack and the Hullavator.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by MrPeeps
Can you guys with roof racks give me an idea of what the MPG difference is with and without the rack, rack + bike/kayak/etc, and without the rack system at all in your personal use?

I'm going to get a rack no question, but I'm wondering if I want to throw down for a fancy hitch mounted system or a Thule/Yakima roof rack system.

Thanks!
I would suggest also considering where you prefer to have your cargo. The roof is good for large items like kayaks and bikes can go on a hitch, but hitches can be rear ended and roof mounted things can hit things like garage doorways. That and ease of access are my first two considerations. I never kept a roof rack on when I wasn't using it, though. I never owned a hitch bike mount, but the ease of access has to be loads better than a roof mount. I have yet to roof mount anything of a Fit, but I used to keep a foldable step ladder in the Forester to make getting bikes up and down easier.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
2015 Fit and they now show a compatible roof rack system.

Did you buy the Yakima rack? Like it? Is it kind to the Fit's delicate roof?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I haven't. I have the Q Towers and clips for our '13th, which will be the default car when I need it, but haven't tried them yet, either. I still haven't decided if I want to stay with Yakima after how ridiculous support for the third gen Fits had been and being told to install a permanent rack.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
The Fit's roof is no more delicate than any other new vehicle's roof. The roof doesn't support the rack - it's installed on the frame.

I've been hauling my kayak on my Thule rack all summer and the roof looks as perfect as it did when I got the car in December.

Can't say the same for my front side fender, as I've accidentally bumped it when taking my boat off the roof - nothing serious, just a couple of light scratches. And then there was the log on the ground I didn't see when backing up...

Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the Yakima rack with the Jetstream bars (aero bars) on my Fit.
I have two frontloaders on it now, but no pictures.
The bars don't make too much noise, but the bike racks (frontloader) does. And it has affected the MPG a little bit. I probably lose 2-3mpg with the bike racks on. I don't lose much maybe

Attached Thumbnails Yakima Roof Rack Now Available-mrpeeps.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by MrPeeps
Here's the Yakima rack with the Jetstream bars (aero bars) on my Fit.
I have two frontloaders on it now, but no pictures.
The bars don't make too much noise, but the bike racks (frontloader) does. And it has affected the MPG a little bit. I probably lose 2-3mpg with the bike racks on. I don't lose much maybe
Great picture. I have a pair of frontloaders, too, and I love 'em. The last vehicle I used them on was our Forester, I kept a fold up two step ladder in the trunk to get the bikes on and off more easily because of how tall it was. I need to try it on the Fit. I have a Big Stack, too, for our rec kayaks. At some point when REI has a coupon I'll probably order one. Despite the sourness I still feel, I like the idea of having everything the same brand for unquestionable compatibility.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
I have the Thule rack and AeroBlade roof bars. Not even a whisper of sound from the rack and haven't seen any effect on my MPG.

For hauling my kayak I chose the Thule Hullavator, but don't keep it attached to the rack when I don't need it. It takes about two minutes to reinstall each one, and about 20 seconds to remove, so it's no big deal.

Also have Thule locks on the rack and the Hullavator.
Jealous of the noise/mpg. I have the Thule square bars and a fairing, and still get a good amount of noise, plus a lot less mileage, particularly with my Yakima Jaylow on there (even when folded). I'd say I get a good 5 mpg drop with everything on there, probably 2-3 less mpg with just the bars and fairing

Also, I thought the load capacity for the Thule system was around 165, not 132 or whatever.... I hope it is at least, cuz I did this over the weekend.
Name:  96695159-aaf3-4412-89cc-79944abf6520_zpsy4djehqf.png
Views: 2901
Size:  923.0 KB

Name:  20160727_162352_zpsorpuikxy.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  384.4 KB

Last edited by esnave09; 08-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Here is the Yakima roof rack + 2 Yakima Front Loaders

Attached Thumbnails Yakima Roof Rack Now Available-mrpeeps04.jpg   Yakima Roof Rack Now Available-mrpeeps05.jpg  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Can you recommend anything that hugs the roof more closely? I dont have a moonroof and would be willing to remove/modify my radio antenna. I want to do a full roof box. (made of PVC filled with expanding foam and painted black )