3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 LX Fit - audio display question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:42 AM
2015 LX Fit - audio display question

This may be a stupid question, but something suddenly happened to my display and I'm not sure how to get it back to the way it was.

If I turn on the radio, for example, I get this small display up the top of the screen for about 3 seconds, then it shows this small clock in upper right.

The same goes for every audio source. It flashes a small display up top before coming back to this permanent clock.

I have gone through every possible display option I could find, as well as digging through the user manual. Is there something malfunctioning here or did I accidentally change the display settings? Feature or bug?
Thanks.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by NotMyName
This may be a stupid question, but something suddenly happened to my display and I'm not sure how to get it back to the way it was.

If I turn on the radio, for example, I get this small display up the top of the screen for about 3 seconds, then it shows this small clock in upper right.

The same goes for every audio source. It flashes a small display up top before coming back to this permanent clock.

I have gone through every possible display option I could find, as well as digging through the user manual. Is there something malfunctioning here or did I accidentally change the display settings? Feature or bug?
Thanks.
I think maybe you turned on the "wallpaper" view (without any wallpaper installed) instead of keeping it on the audio view (names may not be correct, I'm going on memory).

Old 04-01-2016, 10:56 AM
That's actually a good guess - I thought I had accidentally done this as well. However, it's still set to "audio". And I have toggled it just to make sure.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Have you had any issues with the battery? Seems like it is in the sort of reset/default mode you might find after replacing a battery.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:24 PM
No issues with the battery.
I think I might have to bring this by the dealer to see what they think. I don't think there is anything I could have possibly done that would result in this behavior.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Watch this video on the 2015 Fit LX radio and note how it looks when he switches it to wallpaper mode. He then switches it back.

By the way, for some reason my radio's clock somehow loses 1 minute each month. I don't know why.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
2015 2016 Honda Fit LX radio Watch this video on the 2015 Fit LX radio and note how it looks when he switches it to wallpaper mode. He then switches it back.

By the way, for some reason my radio's clock somehow loses 1 minute each month. I don't know why.
Interesting video. I haven't done wallpaper as I like my display to show the radio data all the time.

In the case of the OP's issue, perhaps he might try loading a wallpaper image and then switching the wallpaper on and off. That might get it out of its fugue.

As far as the clock accuracy, it isn't connected to a time standard like phones are so it will drift. A minute per month isn't all that bad. It's too bad that the programmers couldn't have had it update itself whenever it is connected to a phone.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Its easier than that.. Most radio stations are sending a time signal all the time... "HD" radio.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
The damn radio has a computer in it, so I expect the computer to continue to keep time properly. If the head unit cannot even keep the proper time month to month, what hope is there of doing more advanced processes, such as Android Auto? Even a dollar store quartz watch does not lose time. Are there small mammals in the car winding the HU's mechanical clock?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:52 AM
His picture was grainy and too bright for using one that screen. I'm looking for a picture that wont make her too distracted on Here 13 Civic EX-L w/Navigation. She doesn't want any of her to sons and grand daughter so i may use a picture of all her girl friends down on the river front. Damn mom's and women in general are hard to read when doing nice things for them. That's why I'm single for life and have a dog...lol.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
... Damn mom's and women in general are hard to read when doing nice things for them. That's why I'm single for life and have a dog...
Dude, it does not get any better when you marry...

Back on topic, For the LX the wallpaper screen size is 854x480 72 dpi

download to root of USB stick, upload to Fit LX. 854x480 72 dpi

Download to root of USB stick, upload to Fit LX. 854x480 72 dpi

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-04-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
The 2016 LX radio screen resolution is 1664x936. See this thread for details.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF
The 2016 LX radio screen resolution is 1664x936. See this thread for details.
Download one of my images and see for yourself. They will load just fine. I doubt that Honda's dinky 5" screen has the resolution of 1664x936. The Honda software simply scales the image down.

The screen resolution of 1664x936 is the native resolution for a 21" monitor. If this was the native resolution on Honda's 5" screen images would be amazingly clear. Alas we do not get this tech in a budget sub-compact car, on a non-touch screen.

I do edit on GIMP and if you save the image to .jpg, 72 dpi remove all the EXIF information, and do linear interpolation, the image created with GIMP will load just fine. All the images provided (above) are done on GIMP. GIMP by default adds a whole lot of extra EXIF info, doubling the file size. The Honda dislikes this and will not load.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-04-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting Wallpaper

download to root of USB stick, upload to LX Fit, 854x480px, 150k, 72 dpi

Top Gun. Download to root of USB stick, upload to Fit LX, 854x480px, 72 dpi, 150k. Image has been reproportioned to fit the LX

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-04-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I doubt that Honda's dinky 5" screen has the resolution of 1664x936. The Honda software simply scales the image down.

I do edit on GIMP and if you save the image to .jpg, 72 dpi remove all the EXIF information, and do linear interpolation, the image created with GIMP will load just fine. All the images provided (above) are done on GIMP. GIMP by default adds a whole lot of extra EXIF info, doubling the file size. The Honda dislikes this and will not load.
It would be interesting to do an actual resolution test to see how many lines are actually displayed. Where did you get your 854x480 number from? I started with the resolution given by the owners manual and adjusted the aspect ratio until the image would load. I suspect that you are right that the software is downscaling the 1664x936 images. But, it could also be that the the software is upscaling the 854x480 images. Physical size of a screen isn't the sole measure of its quality. The Galaxy S4 smartphone was released in 2013 having a 5" screen with resolution of 1920x1080. Not saying that this radio has a screen as nice as that, though.

Not that it really matters that much. The important thing is that people can make background images that completely fill the screen. Now if we could just get them to display with the radio station info...

Good info on removing the EXIF info to make the radio load GIMP images.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Before I bought my Fit I agonized between the 5" non-touch and the 7" touch. I happened across this
, which I've previously linked (above). In it the author, jjcentral, mentions that he played around with the resolution. He says that he loaded 800x480 and there were two black vertical lines on each side of his 5" display, so he slowly upped the image size until he got to an optimal 854x480. I loaded an 800x480 image and verified his findings that the image was not sufficiently wide. A smaller height than 480 results in horizontal lines.

I did struggle a bit with GIMP and the Fit's screen. I took an image that was too large, cropped it, then exported to .jpg, only to find that the file size had doubled. Not only that, the Fit would reject it. It took a couple of tries to figure out that GIMP adds EXIF info, changes the interpolation, loading format and this bloats the file size. The Fit does not like .png, nor a .jpg with the newer embedded file info. The Fit likes the old and simple format images. So much for a 2016 model car.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
...The Galaxy S4 smartphone was released in 2013 having a 5" screen with resolution of 1920x1080. Not saying that this radio has a screen as nice as that, though.

...Now if we could just get them to display with the radio station info...
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has a screen resolution of 441dpi. The Fit manual states a screen size but no mention of resolution, so I guessed 72, just like all computer monitors. I read somewhere that it is WVGA, ~800x480px. 1920x1080 would be great on the Fit's head unit, but alas this is just a dream.

The lack of radio station info is a bummer. I don't know if this can be changed.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:43 PM
...Now if we could just get them to display with the radio station info...
That's the dealbreaker for me. No info if a picture is displayed. So much for the utility of that "feature."

Old 09-03-2016, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
i can certified that 854x480 image is fine but only capable to save it in bmp

Old 03-21-2023, 04:29 AM
what worked for me

Originally Posted by NotMyName

Thanks.
I had the same issue, the fix for me was actually just to press the {sun / moon} button towards the top left of the display.

At day mode or night mode you’ll be able to see the audio and stuff.

hopefully this can help you guys.

Quick Reply: 2015 LX Fit - audio display question