3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The splash shield on 2015 Honda Fit EX coming off.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is fine so far, but I checked again and noticed a screw was missing. I'll have to find a better way to secure it.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:50 PM
I am on shield #3. The dealer service ruined #2, forgot to put the screws back in after an oil change. #1 dislodged from hitting a large puddle, then the dealer's porter did not listen and backed up, snagging the dragging edge on a speed bump, ruining it. This is one of the few issues I have with the design. The Fit has no clearance so this shield is vulnerable.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
on some cars the shroud provides rigidity for the front bumper. i dont remember how the GK's splash guards were connected (been a few months since oil change) but if i was u, i would get a replacement.
That's what I want and it loosened up again. I saw it flapping as I drove behind my wife so next morning went straight to the dealer. But you know them, they just refastened it. So next time I will insist...

Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scubastevo80
Mine is fine so far, but I checked again and noticed a screw was missing. I'll have to find a better way to secure it.
Yep, that's how it started on mine...it yanks and the screws come out of the plastic or worse..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
I did my car's first oil change last night so, it was the first time I went face-to-face with the splash shield. It does take a little patience to re-connect all eight fasteners. I can see how anyone in a hurry could fail to properly connect some of them. I found rear-most fasteners the hardest. I did not succeed until I encouraged the splayed prongs closed with a 3/8" washer and then hit it with a heat gun. After removing the washer the prongs stood straight up and easily slid into the hole.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Are there any favorable stories about leaving the "Under Cover" OFF after an oil change? After reading the horror stories, I plan on leaving it off because of the hassle of reinstalling it after an oil change.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-17-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Any favorable stories about leaving the "under cover" OFF after their oil change.
It is challenging the first time, but it will be much simpler next time. I recommend re-attaching the shield because it improves gas mileage, keeps the engine clean and the pad collects any engine drips that might pollute. It was a big help to watch youtube videos about Fit oil changes.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
It's really not that hard to reattach, but definitely not well designed. My advise is to make sure the front is slid into the notch first, don't forget the little cutout on the driver's side front that it sits on the lip of the other plastic piece. Then do the front screws and save the rear plastic push pins last.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
save the rear plastic push pins last.
My rear fasteners were definitely threaded, but did not lock when tightened. I believe they do not lock by design. It's an expansion-securing device. Fascinating how they use two different kinds of fasteners.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Splash shield zip tie locations

Splash shield fasteners are not well designed. I used 3 zip ties to attach the shield to metal parts, a single on the driver's side and a daisy chained double on the passenger side. With the zip ties even if all fasteners fail the splash shield should still stay in place.

2015-2017 Honda Fit, splash shield zip tie locations

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
Besides from just being "stupid" and appeasing the "goverment-forced worship at the altar" the splash shield also functions to help keep rocks and road debris from bouncing into the engine bay and colder water from directly hitting your very hot metal parts...
I guess all the cars "broke" before splash guard came around? What a brilliant idea! Stop calling it a splash guard or an aerodynamic wing. It is just a undercover. Honda made no claim why it is there. What ever the purpose it is probably not all that effective. It is probably more cosmetic than functional, just like your engine cover under the hood. Another worthless tray to collect trash, leaves, tools, nuts and bolts. BMW has it also. It is a PITA to have to deal with it when you want to change the oil and filter. It's probably there so if you leak oil, it takes a longer for you to notice the drips on your garage floor.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
I do agree the splash shield is a PITA to remove for an oil change. it takes longer to remove it than to do the actual oil change.

That said, once you remove the splash shield underneath is much cleaner than without, making the oil change less messy.

There has to be some aerodynamic benefit to the shield. There are large holes up through the engine bay that would channel air without the splash shield. Now the air just sails over the engine bay.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just out of warranty and the only time I had issue with the splash shield was when I let the dealer do the first oil change since it was free. Of course they lost one of the metal screws and the nut that it goes into. Easy enough to replace.

Since I've been doing the oil changes I haven't lost anything or damaged the splash shield.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM
I guess all the cars "broke" before splash guard came around? What a brilliant idea! Stop calling it a splash guard or an aerodynamic wing. It is just a undercover. Honda made no claim why it is there. What ever the purpose it is probably not all that effective. It is probably more cosmetic than functional, just like your engine cover under the hood. Another worthless tray to collect trash, leaves, tools, nuts and bolts. BMW has it also. It is a PITA to have to deal with it when you want to change the oil and filter. It's probably there so if you leak oil, it takes a longer for you to notice the drips on your garage floor.

I have two Subarus, they have an undercover but only under the engine. There is a small door with about 7 plastic twist clips. Remove 6 spin cover out of the way change oil. I'm seeing the Honda's being bigger than this. Anyway the guys on the Subaru forum are calling this a diaper because it has a great ability to hide the very slow head gasket leaks that plague the 2001-2008 engines. The purpose for this cover unclear but what really interests me is the purpose of the padding on the inside of the Subaru undercover. This hides the leaks even longer.

​​​​

Last edited by Corsair; 01-22-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
It's called a "splash guard" or "splash shield" because that was the original idea behind it. I originally knew them as simply a "belly pan". It's retarded and ignorant to say "all the cars "broke" before splash guard came around". It was an improvement that is intended to help keep the engine bay cleaner, helps to keep stains from spills/leaks off your driveway and the road, reduce aerodynamic drag, increase fuel ecomomy, reduce water intrusion into the engine bay.

It is by no means a neccessity to your car and cars operate safely without them. If it bothers you having one on your vehicle, then remove it. Honda doesn't need to make a claim about it, its nothing new or groundbreaking or worth spending marketing dollars on. People who work on cars typically understand the purpose of it and spend little, if any time thinking about it.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure the Honda dealer I bought our used '15 LX from will be happy to try to sell me a replacement "splash guard/aero bit" when I take it in for my free oil change.....thanks, but no thanks ... they sold it to me with it missing, running without it does not affect the operation of the car in any way (other than perhaps a slight decrease in mpg, but the vast majority of my driving is not on the highway, so would likely notice nothing different other than having having extra steps when I do change my own oil in the future). Have had it about 6 months, engine bay looks showroom new viewed with the hood open...I don't care if there's a bit of road grime on the bottom of the engine. If they wanted to replace it for free, yeah, I'd take it, but am not going out of my way to replace something that's basically unnecessary and, seems at times for some folks, a PITA

Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
It's called a "splash guard" or "splash shield" because that was the original idea behind it. I originally knew them as simply a "belly pan". It's retarded and ignorant to say "all the cars "broke" before splash guard came around". It was an improvement that is intended to help keep the engine bay cleaner, helps to keep stains from spills/leaks off your driveway and the road, reduce aerodynamic drag, increase fuel ecomomy, reduce water intrusion into the engine bay.

It is by no means a neccessity to your car and cars operate safely without them. If it bothers you having one on your vehicle, then remove it. Honda doesn't need to make a claim about it, its nothing new or groundbreaking or worth spending marketing dollars on. People who work on cars typically understand the purpose of it and spend little, if any time thinking about it.
With the pan on, engine oil will still leak, engine will still get wet, and it will collect dirt and grime over time. Honda makes no such claim in the 2017 owners's manual. It is called "under cover" post #26. With the plastic covercon, you won't notice an oil leak until it leaks out of the pan, and you won't know exactly where it is coming from until you remove that filty pan. I serious doubt the pan makes a difference to all your claims. In fact rain water will "steam clean" the bottom of your engine just like most other cars without the under cover. Even with it, your engine will get wet and dirty as well! You would think if the pan is such a good idea, my Porsche 911 Turbo would have one, but it doesn't.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-23-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
You guys have it all wrong. It's not a splash shield. It's a barrier to help keep rodents out of the engine compartment so they don't nibble on the tasty wire insulation.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Mine blew out the two rear fasteners due to snow accumulation one day. It sounded like the transmission failed lol. I remember the days of my previous cars, where the oil pan was made out of stamped steel. Rocks hitting it was not much of a worry. But with this flimsy aluminum engine and oil pan, this under cover seems like a great idea. It is also equipped with that oil absorbent pad, which absorbs oil, but no water. I use those at work for oil spills and work like magic.

I am not sure about all that aero stuff, but Honda designed it and as far as I am concerned, it should stay there to collect oil drips and protect the engine with the exception of sudden snow blow outs lol.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
You guys have it all wrong. It's not a splash shield. It's a barrier to help keep rodents out of the engine compartment so they don't nibble on the tasty wire insulation.
If only the lil bassturds will still easily get in there.....I hate rodents, although it seems I ran all of ours off last year......fuckers destroyed my old '93 Celica, chewed up some wiring, slight engine fire, repair worth more than the car was....damn varmints!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The splash shield on 2015 Honda Fit EX coming off.