3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New 2016 Canadian - Trim Level Questions

Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM
New 2016 Canadian - Trim Level Questions

Hello folks!

Been reading this site for a few weeks now as I shop for a new car. Some great info here! I believe I have settled on a new Fit CVT as my car of choice. I can't wait for the Civic Hatchback, and I've driven a 2010 Fit a few times so I'm happy with this choice.

What I need help with is trim level.

I've come down to the LX or the EX. I see that the Canadian trim levels are different from the US ones (we have a lower DX trim up here) and I'm wondering if anybody can help me:

1) What size is the screen of the center unit on the LX and EX? I can't figure out if they are both 7" or if the LX is a 5"
2) Tire size - 15" or 16". I'm not a performance driver (though an Accord feels pretty good), would I actually notice a difference?
3) Do you guys find the blind spot camera useful?

Other than the additional sunroof I'm not sure if the EX is that much better for me, but a bigger screen size plus the other bonuses might sway me that way.

Hopefully some answers can help me finally make a choice!
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:21 AM
http://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca...EN_onlinea.pdf

LX has steel rims and 4 speakers, 160 watts.

EX has 7" screen, integrated fogs, paddle shifters, 185/55/16 alloy rims, and 6 speakers 180 watts, and leather wrapped steering wheel (you can cover it, click on my tinkering link).

Lanewatch is handy if you want to take a quick peek while driving, or for parking. I do a blind spot check as normal.

Sunroofs are handy for temperature regulation. When my Integra's AC needed a $3K replacement, I've learned to appreciate the sunroof instead.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 04-30-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 AM
I for the life of me do not see any mention of the screen size on the website. Where is that specifically?

Thanks for the lanewatch and sunroof opinions.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Try to find the 2015 Fit brochure at your dealer. AJ is right.

EX: 7" touch screen, 180 watt sytem, 6 speakers (2 are tweeters on dash), HDMI input
LX: 7" touch screen, 160 watt system, 4 speakers (no tweeters on dash), HDMI input
DX: 5" non-touch screen, aux in, 160 watt system, 4 speakers (no tweeters on dash).

You really need to research the infotainment system. They are night and day. Some people like the touch screen and others hate it.

Do you need all the upgraded dodads? If so go EX, if not go LX. Willing to give up air con and cruise, go DX.

You are right, on Honda.ca the LX and EX have no description of the infotainment system, but the DX does. The LX and EX have the same system.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-30-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:13 PM
Are you saying the 2016 brochure is incorrect?

https://i.imgur.com/Dbyk4ZU.png

The DX says a 5" screen, while the others don't mention size. They just say that it has the Display Audio System. That's irritating!

DX is a no-no for me, I need the air conditioning.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I love the Lane Watch feature, and I didn't know I would. I also love the sunroof for the extra light it lets in - I don't open the glass often, but I open the shade all the time.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaysap
Are you saying the 2016 brochure is incorrect?

https://i.imgur.com/Dbyk4ZU.png

The DX says a 5" screen, while the others don't mention size. They just say that it has the Display Audio System. That's irritating!...
You are correct. I think the Canadian LX radio is the 7" touch screen. The US LX and the Canadian DX have the 5" radio for sure. I've been hanging around this forum too often!

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-30-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 PM
I have a 2015 Fit LX and it has the 7" Head Unit.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed in the user interface and experience. The software SUCKS horribly. I find its use FAR more distracting than handling my iPhone.

Honda doesn't have a clue about user interface and design.
Just one example of stupid design.
Incoming phone call.

Screen displays some call info and has "Answer" and Ignore" buttons. These buttons are placed immediatley above each other and they are rather close together. More than half the time if you reach to tap the "answer" button, you will hit "ignore" instead. That does tend to piss one's wife off.

I know there is a button on the steering wheel but the screen captures your attention with the display and your instant reaction is to deal with that.

Come on Honda. it is 7" screen and there is lots of room to have the buttons side by side. (far less likely to have an ignore accident)

Don't get me started about the controls for sound, volume and music searches.

Don't bother with the HDMI cables and adapters - they are completely usless unless you are stopped and have set the hand brake (on std tranny - or in park on CVT)

I am pushing for a software up grade to FULL Carplay. (you Android folks should push for that version)

Last edited by Medelegant; 04-30-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
As I have the only Canadian Fit model with the 5" display I feel closer to my American brethren and their LXs. Is that a bad thing? My infotainment system works really well and has a great UI. As for Android Auto/Carplay, only bluetooth and USB connectivity but it works. I hope but doubt that Honda will reflash the radios.

Frankly I would have bought a Canadian LX if the price difference was smaller (It was $3,400 more for the LX) and the radio was better. I simply could not adjust the volume on the 7" radio while driving. I found the display very slow to the touch.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
I couldn't tell you the last time I adjusted the volume through the radio, I only use the steering wheel controls. Same thing with answering the phone and hanging up, steering wheel controls work really well.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 AM
There is a way to watch something through the HDMI while driving, bypassing the handbrake.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I went to the dealer and confirmed, the Canadian LX does have the 7" screen. I played around with it for a while. I am not the hugest fan - I think I prefer physical knobs - but I can get around a lot of the issues by learning to use the steering wheel controls more. I did like some of the features of it, I just didn't find it too responsive from a UX perspective.

I would like if they did a software update once Android Auto comes out but I won't hold my breath.

I think I will miss the sunroof but I don't think I'm getting a lot more out of the next higher trim for the cost. I found the Lanewatch disruptive, not needed, and I even prefer the cloth pattern on the LX over the EX.

Also confirmed that I prefer the Fit to the Civic - I don't like the cockpit style seats - so that gives me some peace of mind.

Now to find a way to get the best price!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Canadian Fit LX 7" screen for audio unit

Yes you can use the steering wheel buttons to get around some of the issues with the infotainment system but overall the user experience with the unit is very poor.
The buttons on the steering wheel have fixed functionality (i.e. Always the same)
If one considers that there are just as many buttons in the set as there are on a 5 year old iPod, the buttons could be used to navigate searching for a song or a playlist but they can not. The distraction level of trying to select music (I have over 3000 songs on my phone and about 30 playlists and 20 or so audible books) is worse than trying to text while driving.

As for upgrading the software, I fail to understand why it is that Fiat Chrysler can update the software on 4 year old vehicles to add new functionality and Honda can't (or won't). I think Honda's attitude on this matter is reprehensible.

I had a 2002 Mini Cooper S and during the time I owned it, MINI updated the software on the radio system twice to add support of iPods. Think about it. That was a car that came off the assembly line 14 years ago.

The rest of the car is rather remarkably good design - but then Honda has been conservatively innovative in the vehicle aspects. The audio system software design is amateurish at best. One would think that they might have paid a little more attention to what Apple (and Google) have done in the last 5-10 years.

As for a specific "little" design flaw... Just wait until your Bluetooth connected phone rings and you reach to push the answer button on the lovely 7" display unit - just as you hit a little bump in the road and you succeed in ignoring your wife's (or lover's) call. With a 7" screen, you might think it would make more sense to place those buttons side by side rather than stack above each other..

I recall Honda web pages going back a couple of years where they showed that same screen with what looked like CarPlay - and announced they would support it some 2-3 years ago and they have only implemented it in 2016 models.

The strange thing is that if Honda embraced CarPlay and Android Auto, they could quite easily hand over much of the responsibility for the user interface and experience to Apple and Google.

My other suggestion for future Hondas would be to forget about the on board system and have a dock in the dash that accepts an iPad or Android tablet.