3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Shoulda Got A 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Shoulda Got A 6 Speed

Im at 30,000 kms (18,600 miles) in my 2015 fit.

Had the recall done on the cvt a few months back. now it seems quite 'jerky' when accelerating, not a hard acceleration, just normal driving. The best i could compare it to is when the clutch packs in my 69 dart were toast and the gears would kind of hang before shifting.

I'm really worried about taking my car to the dealer. I never beat on this car, this is my A to B daily driver. I rock a built 69 dodge dart on the weekends for beating on. Really, i just do not trust the dealerships in my city, i don't want them pulling something stupid out of their hats.

Otherwise, i'm quite happy with the car, dirt cheap on fuel, easy to drive, Functional Inexpensive Transportation.

Just wondering if anyone else is having a 'jerky' cvt issue ....

Old 05-13-2016, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
When its really cold out my Polaris Quads CVT cycles the shivs very very hard.. Does that count?

Old 05-14-2016, 03:59 PM
I have zero experience with the CVT, but I'll agree with you on one thing. You should have gotten the manual, it's a glorious shifter.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 PM
I considered the 6-speed, but the fact is that it has become a Walter Mitty device with more gears that are needed or practical. If the 6th gear were truly an overdrive I might have gone for it. 3500RPM at 70MPH is not a proper 6th. A CVT cruises at 2300 at 70MPH and even on SoCal passes doesn't go over 3500!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 AM
yeah I would have gone manual if the fit had reasonable gear ratio but driving that thing in LA traffic just sounds like a chore. My CVT serves me well but it does have a "unique" feel sometimes when launching or slowing down under compression.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by tonezone
yeah I would have gone manual if the fit had reasonable gear ratio but driving that thing in LA traffic just sounds like a chore. My CVT serves me well but it does have a "unique" feel sometimes when launching or slowing down under compression.
Ha! I drive in LA everyday, and it is not a chore. I believe the word you were searching for is FUN!

The car is a blast.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Ha! I drive in LA everyday, and it is not a chore. I believe the word you were searching for is FUN!

The car is a blast.
Yeah I'm sure it's fun, i'm an old fuddy duddy that appreciates the CVTs mileage and the ease of driving in traffic.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 AM
i will agree, the cvt is nice for an everyday driver - just wish it were a lil more refined.

on a side note, ordered teins and an hks muffler last night woot !

Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 AM
I really enjoy the 6 speed in my 2015 GK, and get 42mpg all day long. I got into the 50s actually by not using the cruise control and some clever driving. If an automatic is better on gas, i've yet to see it. (They've gotta sell you that option somehow, right?)

(35-38 combined with some boy racer action in the city. I didnt buy a yellow honda hatch to NOT drive like a jerk)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matthorkan@gmail.com
I really enjoy the 6 speed in my 2015 GK, and get 42mpg all day long. I got into the 50s actually by not using the cruise control and some clever driving. If an automatic is better on gas, i've yet to see it. (They've gotta sell you that option somehow, right?)

I keep hearing people say that they bought the CVT for "better fuel economy", but I also can get 40+ MPG all day long with the manual without even trying. Last Sunday, I drove to Albany and back and averaged 44.7 MPG. Would the CVT do better? Don't know, don't care. I'm having a ball driving this car.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM
i'll drive a manual transmission till my legs fall off. If car makers stop offering manuals, i will simply restore an older car that has a manual. :-P

Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM
personally got the cvt for the convenience factor. GF wont drive standard, plus ive been driving manual trans for over 16 years now, so it was time for a change.
when i miss banging thru gears, i take my dads 67 coronet r/t for a rip....
440 4-speed nom nom nom

Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't owned an automatic since my first car, which I sold in '79.

My other ride is a 22 year old Harley-Davidson (also a manual).

Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I haven't owned an automatic since my first car, which I sold in '79.

My other ride is a 22 year old Harley-Davidson (also a manual).
I was considering a motorcycle from a company called "Cleveland Cyclewerks" That make simple bikes with cheap little 250 chinese motors that i thought looked like a lot of cheap fun. My Harley RoadKing-driving father was HORRIFIED and advised me not to consider the bike because "It didnt have an electric starter".

People are just getting fatter and lazier by the year. I'll be driving my stick shift, i dont even really care for power steering and ABS.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
In my old VW beetle I love the simplicity of manual steering, non-power brakes, and 4-speed stick shift. Same with my BMW motorcycle. They were made that way and work very well. So well, in fact, that I use the VW when I teach people how to drive stick.

My Fit weighs 1000 pounds more than the VW, the tires are wider, the steering wheel smaller, and its weight is over the front wheels, so it pretty much needs power steering and brakes.

Transmissions are a toss-up. I used to be a die-hard stick driver, but having driven both I opted for the CVT. The stick just didn't feel as well-matched to the car as the previous generation's 5-speed and I got the feeling that they had gone to 6 speeds just because 6>5.

I find that the CVT is very well behaved, and once you get used to the way it works the engineering becomes apparent. Your right foot tells the car the power you want and the car figures out the best way to provide it. The CVT actually does what a manual transmission approximates. It won't do some tricks like using flywheel energy to launch the car, but I've kind of outgrown that sort of behavior anyway. I'm getting a calculated 37MPG in mixed driving and got 45 on a recent highway trip. One rather cool thing I've noted is that the engine speeds up if I push the brake pedal lightly, so the transmission is actually downshifting to provide a bit more engine braking.

It's rather fun to come to a stoplight next to a coffee-can exhaust Civic and accelerate alongside at about half-throttle. They usually stick with me right up to the point where they have to shift, but there is no way that they can accelerate *while* shifting!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
I had to buy my car in June 2014, so it was GK Fit with CVT or no GK Fit. I wanted the manual, but I wanted the GK Fit more, and I've been very happy with the CVT, especially in light of the gearing.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog

The car is a blast.
Agree completely. As for the gearing, I think it's damned near perfect for keeping that little motor on the boil when you need to - or more likely want to. I wouldn't change a thing. Happy as can be with this transmission. At least on those occasions my wife lets me drive it. Gotta have at least one stick in the family - it's a rule!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
In my old VW beetle I love the simplicity of manual steering, non-power brakes, and 4-speed stick shift. Same with my BMW motorcycle. They were made that way and work very well. So well, in fact, that I use the VW when I teach people how to drive stick.

My Fit weighs 1000 pounds more than the VW, the tires are wider, the steering wheel smaller, and its weight is over the front wheels, so it pretty much needs power steering and brakes.

Transmissions are a toss-up. I used to be a die-hard stick driver, but having driven both I opted for the CVT. The stick just didn't feel as well-matched to the car as the previous generation's 5-speed and I got the feeling that they had gone to 6 speeds just because 6>5.

I find that the CVT is very well behaved, and once you get used to the way it works the engineering becomes apparent. Your right foot tells the car the power you want and the car figures out the best way to provide it. The CVT actually does what a manual transmission approximates. It won't do some tricks like using flywheel energy to launch the car, but I've kind of outgrown that sort of behavior anyway. I'm getting a calculated 37MPG in mixed driving and got 45 on a recent highway trip. One rather cool thing I've noted is that the engine speeds up if I push the brake pedal lightly, so the transmission is actually downshifting to provide a bit more engine braking.

It's rather fun to come to a stoplight next to a coffee-can exhaust Civic and accelerate alongside at about half-throttle. They usually stick with me right up to the point where they have to shift, but there is no way that they can accelerate *while* shifting!

Another vintage VW owner here, and every DD I've had since I started driving was a stick up until the Fit. Gearing was the only reason I changed my mind and got the CVT at the last moment (well, the wife was pushing for it a little, too, even though she can drive a manual if she has too).

38K miles in, and I'm still satisfied with it. I still have my old Bugs for the barest of bare bones driving experiences!

es

Old 05-18-2016, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge

Another vintage VW owner here, and every DD I've had since I started driving was a stick up until the Fit. Gearing was the only reason I changed my mind and got the CVT at the last moment (well, the wife was pushing for it a little, too, even though she can drive a manual if she has too).

38K miles in, and I'm still satisfied with it. I still have my old Bugs for the barest of bare bones driving experiences!

es
You do realize that if the manual were geared like the CVT, everyone would be on here griping about how "gutless" the car is and how you have to downshift on every hill, right? I actually like the gearing on the manual, with the (arguable) exception of the "redundant" 5th gear.

To be fair, I test drove the CVT and actually liked it a lot. As CVT transmission go, I thought it worked very well, and if I did more city driving, I might have made a different decision. In the end, the curmudgeon in me won out this time.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-18-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Shoulda Got A 6 Speed