3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

ETA on J-VIN 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 AM
ETA on J-VIN 6MT?

Hey folks,
I've been lurking for a while and hoping Honda gets the bugs worked out of the FIT. I know they shifted production back to Japan for 2016 and only offer the CVT right now. Has anyone heard anything about when a J-VIN 6-speed might be available? Sorry if this has already been covered.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
It's looking more and more as if the chance to get a manual transmission Fit has come and gone. Honda had a few manuals left over last year and seems determined not to let that happen again.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
The Celaya plant should also provide Fits for the South America and Mexican markets, where manuals are popular. There is still some hope.

OTOH Honda seems so screwed up. I guess I should be happy I even found a manual.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by mtnbiker26
Hey folks,
I've been lurking for a while and hoping Honda gets the bugs worked out of the FIT. I know they shifted production back to Japan for 2016 and only offer the CVT right now. Has anyone heard anything about when a J-VIN 6-speed might be available? Sorry if this has already been covered.
Ha, there are no bugs. It's a car, like any other car.

I suggest you take a Statistics 101 class. It will help you in your life immeasurably.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 AM
It appears that there will be no J-VIN manual Fits coming to the US. The few that are available are Mexican.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Few people want a manual transmission. Cvt is a much better choice for most people.

Last edited by ron3; 05-24-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ron3
Few people want a manual transmission. Cvt is a much better choice.
No, it's not.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I assure most people buy cvt rather than manual.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 AM
I assure most people buy cvt rather than manual.
True, but the reason behind why is because most Americans are lazy and don't know how to drive a manual. It is the superior transmission compared to the CVT, both in performance and longevity. MPG discussions aside, a CVT is more liable to break down before a manual does.

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 05-24-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
And may I ask how did you obtain all this information. do you actually have any idea how many cvt are on the road today, and how few new autos are equipped with manual transmissions.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM
And may I ask how did you obtain all this information. do you actually have any idea how many cvt are on the road today, and how few new autos are equipped with manual transmissions.
I'm saying as general knowledge. Its no secret that there are more CVT's on the road in America than manuals. To me its a culture thing where CVTs are preferred in our tech saturated daily lives with phones and various handheld devices as it frees up the hands to do other activities in the car rather than shifting gears on top of being lazy. CVT is convenience at the sacrifice of longevity. there are plenty of threads debating the two transmissions on which is better pros/cons. I value durability over convenience plus the fact that its more fun to drive, thats my bias.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM
I find it interesting how easily folks fall for a troll!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I find it interesting how easily folks fall for a troll!
I know this guy is a troll. Be that as it may I responded intelligently compared to his over general responses.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
It makes good business sense to offer MT on some of your cars. Some people aren't interested in anything else. You don't have it, you lose out to a competitor. It's a small slice of people but as long as there's an alternative, those are sales you can't close.

Honda does better than most. Fit, Accord, Civic all have MT. Part of it's driven by markets. If you are selling in like Indonesia or something where people want MT you might as well engineer one. Honda probably doesn't sell many Ridgelines in Indonesia, so it makes a lot less sense there.

Fun fact, in Iceland 90% of the cars are sold MT. Go there and you'll see a lot of 2006 and prior CRVs. Very few from later model years ...

Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Few people want a manual transmission. Cvt is a much better choice for most people.
Ok I am a troll,you guys are right, everyone wants a manual transmission, and cvt is not a good choice for most people. LOL

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ok I am a troll,you guys are right, everyone wants a manual transmission, and cvt is not a good choice for most people. LOL
If you enjoy cars in the slightest, buying one with a CVT is evidence that you've given up all enthusiasm for driving.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
If you enjoy cars in the slightest, buying one with a CVT is evidence that you've given up all enthusiasm for driving.
Do I detect a little insecurity! Enjoy your 6 speeds of shifting as for me I will drive my cvt while getting better mpg and trade in value down the road. Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
It makes good business sense to offer MT on some of your cars. Some people aren't interested in anything else. You don't have it, you lose out to a competitor. It's a small slice of people but as long as there's an alternative, those are sales you can't close.

Honda does better than most. Fit, Accord, Civic all have MT. Part of it's driven by markets. If you are selling in like Indonesia or something where people want MT you might as well engineer one. Honda probably doesn't sell many Ridgelines in Indonesia, so it makes a lot less sense there.

Fun fact, in Iceland 90% of the cars are sold MT. Go there and you'll see a lot of 2006 and prior CRVs. Very few from later model years ...
Yes, Honda may advertise the Fit, Civic and Accord as being available with a manual transmission, but try to actually FIND one.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Do I detect a little insecurity! Enjoy your 6 speeds of shifting as for me I will drive my cvt while getting better mpg and trade in value down the road. Enjoy!
"Trade in value" has never been a factor in choosing equipment to me. If you're lucky, you might get enough extra in trade to cover the extra cost of the CVT in the first place.

For the record, I'm AVERAGING 41 MPG with the manual. I could do better if I wasn't enjoying my "six speeds of shifting" so much.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
"Trade in value" has never been a factor in choosing equipment to me. If you're lucky, you might get enough extra in trade to cover the extra cost of the CVT in the first place.

For the record, I'm AVERAGING 41 MPG with the manual. I could do better if I wasn't enjoying my "six speeds of shifting" so much.
Enjoy my friend, it's all in the preference.

Quick Reply: ETA on J-VIN 6MT?